Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend was helping me install a wide band controller and we spliced into the red wire with a green stripe that goes to the black connector next to the EEC. The car ran fine for a few days then started up rough one morning and I could almost immediately smell what I thought was wires frying. Car still runs, just runs rough, doesn't throw any codes. The wide band still has power through the wire. Did I connect to a wire I shouldn't have? If so what kind of damage could I have done? It's the wire in the picture with the electrical tape around it. Thanks for any help.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I've already spent at least an hour on that site alone, I still cant figure out where this wire goes exactly. I have scoured the internet and done all the tests I can think to do. I'm stumped.

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
charge indicator light, is my guess

what on the controller are you powering? heater?

You need to make sure that the circuit can handle the current for the heater.

I ran a dedicated circuit for mine.

Also you must consider what would happen if the heater shorts.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I really am just wondering how to check if I fried something that could be causing my rough running condition. I am admittedly bad at reading wiring diagrams. I have already run every test possible with OBDI scanner with no issues. I am honestly not worried about the wide band controller at this point, I never even got a chance to connect the controller to the sensor. I am going to end up running a dedicated circuit for it like you said. I just need help deciding if that wire could be causing my issues or if I need to look elsewhere. Thanks again guys.

Chris

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm getting over 12v through that wire with the key on when testing the connection. Could I possibly be possibly chasing a problem unrelated to this wire?

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
Possible

You should buy a wiring schematic for your car

It will make life much easier

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Red w/ light green trace?
It looks to be fuse #18
Runs to the CCRM and charge indicator

Fuse #18 also powers the ignition and transmission control

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I guess that makes some sense. It does seem to run smooth in reverse for some reason. Is it more likely that I fried the wire or the CCRM/anything else? I guess I'm going to have to tear all of this apart. Thanks so much for the replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts