Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK . . I am looking to buy some racing seats with brackets and either a 4 or 5 point racing harness!!! I want to buy from a company that is somewhat inexpensive but makes a good product and has good service and shipping!!

The seat I would like to be adjustable or be reassured that if it is NOT adjustable that it is a good seat position!! I would like it to have the slots for the racing harness at the top and have good side bolsters and support all around!! This car IS my daily driver so it would have to be at least somewhat comfortable as well!!

The first seat here is one I am considering because I have seen them in person and they look the way I want and are inexpensive!! It is the Corbeau A4 seat pictured below and I am just curious if anyone has this seat or has sat in one?? How is it?? What do you guys think about this one??

Recaro seats are too expensive!! Otherwise I would go with the Sport seat but I want something that looks like that or the one above!!
I have seen a few here with the Clubman seats - either from Cobra or Corbeau! The only thing about them that worries me is they are NOT adjustable so I am unsure as to whether or not I will like the seating position . . .. . and they have those REALLY high leg bolsters or whatever that I am afraid I wouldn't fit in - but I am not big just not sure ya know?? How do you guys like them?? Here is the pic!!

Sorry for the long message but I would really like some opinion if possible! Thanks guys!! :D

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Hey there,

I just bought the Corbeau Carerra seats...for 399$ a piece plus 90$ a piece for each bracket. They are fully adjustable and recline..and I believe they are similar to the A4 seats. The Carerra seats seem very nice, and I like them... they are however for people who have thin/lean frames...if you have a larger frame..you may want to order one of the wider versions of a race seat. I am installing some Simpson 5pt harnesses in my quest to run 11's in my Vortech blown 99GT. I decided against clubman or forza style seats...because they are flat out uncomfortable and non-adjustable in my opinion. I wanted something with comfort, adjustability, and the ability to use on the street without being a contortionist...

Good luck!

SOHC
99 Vortech GT
02 Subaru WRX

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! :) I like the Carrera seats as well so let's throw them into this decision!! Here is a pic of the Carrera seat I would get if I were to get it:

Also here is a pic of the Cobra Clubman seat as apposed to the one above:

So these 2 and the 2 above are probably the 4 I would select from unless someone can show me another worthwhile seat!! :D Let's keep the suggestions going guys and thanks a lot!! :)

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
Hey:

I had the Clubman (or maybe it was the Forza, some non-adjustable Corbeau seat anyways) in my drag car. Don't do it! The seats I had were definitely track only.

I drove to the strip in them once. Its a 2-3 hour drive, and by the time I got there, my back was killing me (and I still had to drive it back).

They were light, and looked cool, but not at all for a daily driver.

Steve

·
Registered
254 Posts
I also just installed corbaeu carerra black cloth seats in my stang and simpson 5pt harness in black, with red letters. The look is wonderful and the feel of the seat is great. I had to do a little reaming of the brackets from corbeau to make them fit perfect. The seat like someone sadi is narrow. I'm 6' 175 about and fill the seat all the way it seems. I will take some photos. pm if interested.

jon

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I have the Cobra clubmans, and I absolutely love them. I am 6'00" and weigh 205, and I fit in them very nicely. They are a great seating position, and extremely comfortable in daily driving.

good luck,
joe

·
Registered
64 Posts
Out here in the Bay Area (CA) I am lucky enough to have a store that sells all the major racing seats, so I have access to them for sampling purposes. The best advice I can give is to TRY OUT the seat before you buy it! Feel is such a subjective thing, that I cannot imagine anyone being able to advise properly. (Sorta like asking which body style is more attractive, or which shift knob feels better...or better yet, buying shoes without trying them on. Yes they might work out, but if not?) The wrong seat would make your driving experience really suffer, and the worst thing is to not want to be in your car!

Just a thought. Hopefully you have access to some variations to try.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rally said:
Out here in the Bay Area (CA) I am lucky enough to have a store that sells all the major racing seats, so I have access to them for sampling purposes. The best advice I can give is to TRY OUT the seat before you buy it! Feel is such a subjective thing, that I cannot imagine anyone being able to advise properly. (Sorta like asking which body style is more attractive, or which shift knob feels better...or better yet, buying shoes without trying them on. Yes they might work out, but if not?) The wrong seat would make your driving experience really suffer, and the worst thing is to not want to be in your car!

Just a thought. Hopefully you have access to some variations to try.
Thanks for you reply and you have a good point!! However, I do not have access (at least I don't think so) to any stores that sell those aftermarket seats!! :( I have sat in the Recaro Sport seats and like them but the CHEAPEST I have seen them is $620 per seat!! :eek: A buddy of mine just bought the A4's listed above and I am asking him about them but he lives a few hours from me and I am not sure I want to drive that far to test them! :rolleyes:

So again thanks for the input and you are right, however, with my limited info I hope to make a decent decision!! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Since you do not have access to any real selection of seats, I would definietly delve deep into all of the forums for ANY info pertaining to comfort in the racing seats. Try to match up opinions with people of your size etc. (I know, sort of a pain...) The more info, the better. I would say that generally, if a dozen or so people all prefer one style, and naysayers are few (if any), then you are in a good position. Good luck!

BTW, If you buy a set and HATE them, you could always unload them on ebay!:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the Cobra Daytona Sport Seats, and love them. I drove 350+ miles one way, one stop, with Zero back pain. With the stock seats, my lower back would hurt after an hour or so of driving.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
00 Saleen281 said:
I have the Cobra Daytona Sport Seats, and love them. I drove 350+ miles one way, one stop, with Zero back pain. With the stock seats, my lower back would hurt after an hour or so of driving.

Those are some NICE looking seats!! :eek: Thanks for the post!! I will have to check those seats out again and add them to my choices!!! :D Are they adjustable?? Who did you buy them through?? Prices?? Thanks again for the post! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I purchased them through www.pfracing.com
You can check out the selection of all the Cobra seats and more at www.subesports.com

They are adjustable (handwheel on the side), and like I said before...super comfy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey, you really should try to get into some of these seats first hand and see what works for you. If it's an autocross car, scca, etc. you'll want something totally different than a daily driver car with seats that look "sporty".

Anyone mentioned Sparco yet? wow.

you get what you pay for. really. check out the seat materials very carefully. some out there are pretty cheap. In a daily driver they will wear out quickly.

Many many people like the prices of corbaeu seats but do not like how they feel. They do provide good support IMO. I've sat some Carerras and clubmans. the clubman was more to my taste. I'm not going to have a back seat much longer anyways.

those cobras look very nice. what kind of material? What kind of adjustments? I had the same prob. with my lower back with the stock seats. they're pretty poor IMHO.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Maybe I did not read the entire thread closely enough, but what is it you plan to use the car for that requires the harnesses and the nicer seats?

There probably are a lot of considerations for you to think about such as: do you need access to the rear seat? should your front seats be reclining? on sliding rails? other?

To run the harnesses you will at a minimum need a harness bar. If you plan on running on the street with the harness bar you may consider something that is bolt-in like the 4pt SpeedWare harness bar. Once a harness bar is mounted in the typical location utilizing the b-pillar bolts for the upper seat belt mounting point you will effectively loose use of your back seat. One, someone will not be able to get in the back seat if you have a coupe, and two it would not be safe (okay, you'd be crazy to even think about it) for a passenger in the rear to have "roll bar" material at eye level.

As far as seats there are many options. If you want a "race" seat then I would point you to the new Kirkey road race seat. This is made of aluminum, comes in different widths (15-18") for a very nice fit. With the minimal padding this may not be comfortable for long drives on public roads.

I had my fabricator custom make brackets that were welded to the floor after a fitting of the height, angle of seat back and distance from the wheel. The good part isthe brackets have four bolts so I can move the seat back in increments of 1". He also made the back brace setup which is required by many racing sanctions.

I have a set of red Scroth ASM ProfiII 4pt camlock restraints and the Speedware harness bar from my car for sale. I can send you pictures of all of it if you would like.

I also have pictures of the seats after they were installed last Summer if you want to see them too. Send me your email address.

Check out Maximum Motorsports for more info about the Kirkey seats ... Kirkey seats

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just put in the A4s and they are snug, I like the suport in the shoulder area. I do have a big problem in my new MM Motorsport six point bar will not fit with the seats. That nice shoulder suport keeps the swing out door bar from being put in place.. The bar attaches at the same hight of the upper wing and will not bolt in.
The seats are nice give great support but I want that door bar. I'm going to sell the A4s and get the GT7s which look like the same seat but withouy that upper shoulder support.. Corbeau will exchange them but I have to shipp them back and pay a restocking fee. I bought them on the GP last month. There is someplace in Cincinnatti that is soupose to stock Coreau's. Cincinnatti Specialties 513-821-2221.

Brad email me if you want to sit in thse seats.

·
Registered
32 Posts
JJ -- I have the Maximum Motorsport roll bar and was considering the Targa seast which have the same shoulder dimensions as the A4. How close is the fit? Is it something that could be avoided by moving the seats inboard half an inch, or is it not correctible??

Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've got the Corbeau Targa RS seats, and they're comfy as hell. They hold you well, and they also are adjustable, like a stock seat, and even flip forward for access to the rear. Thumbs up for them!

Larry

·
Registered
101 Posts
CA88V8:
I don't think you could get them in. I bought the GT7s. I went with the wide option Carbeau gave me the width across the shoulder and it was 18 inches. That will just fit with the side bar.
The wide option make the whole seat 2 inches wider. My wife didn't like the standard width. I liked it, you didn't move anywhere. Delivery is 3 weeks, when thay come in I'll take pictures and send them out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts