Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm looking to switch over to the D&D Viper-spec T56. First gear for me will drop from a 2.87 to a 2.66. I'm currently running a 3.50 ring & pinion. I don't want to overstress the trans when I launch at the drag strip, so I was considering stepping up the gear to the next size or two. My overdrive will be dropping from a .64 to a .50 now, so I can step up the gear to get off the line better, and still manage to have a better overall OD ratio than my TKO.

The car is stock weight plus a 6 pt cage and subframes. At the strip I run a 335/35-17 Hoosier DR. This car is primarily a street car, but also goes open track/road racing twice a year. On the street I just run the typical 315/35-17.

The next sizes up I can go to are 3.60, 3.70, or 3.89. I was thinking a 3.89, but wasn't sure if it would be too much.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Have you considered stepping up to an AEM plug-n-play computer instead?

They make one for the SN95's

You could install a $30 GM boost control solenoid and open up
all kinds of launch and turbo control features.

Leave the line with less boost, still launching aggressively.
Hit 50mph and 2nd gear and have the AEM turn the boost up.

Check out this turbo Mustang my tuner built.
Leaves the line like a 12sec car, hits 50mph and the AEM turns the boost up
and "all hell breaks loose"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B30gaiGvcI

AEM is direct swap for factory EEC and your car will thank you.
Pretty sure Kurgan sells and tunes them too. Step up to a DIS system
with coil packs too with the new AEM - EPM module very easily.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I sure would if I had the money. What you suggested right there would cost me over $2,000 including tuning. If I had the money to toss into it I would. Quikazz did something similar on his car with the GM truck coils. I have a complete set with wiring sitting in my garage to either one day do this and get rid of the distributor, or as a backup for my truck.

In the meantime, I'm planning on selling my 6AL and getting the 6AL-2 in the spring. Its "supposed" to have a strong, more accurate spark, and a built in 2 step. The 2 step will be great for me when I drag race so I can keep my launches under control.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a 9" and I use Motive Gears, so my next choices up from a 3.50 is 3.60, 3.70, and 3.89.

I'm mainly trying to decide between the 3.70 and the 3.89. 3.70 would be better for highway cruisin. Hmmm..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts