Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used the search function, and have read it's best to place the IAT as closest to the intake valve as possible. So my question is, has anyone here put an IAT sensor on a Super Victor EFI intake? Below are some pics of my set up. Where would you put the IAT Sensor?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hadnt seen anything about being close to intake valve. i moved mine (years ago) to the discharge tube.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/superchargers/1413307-need-info-relocating-iat-sensor.html
Thanks boosted coupe. It was mentioned once in this thread and it seems like I had seen it a few other times.

I have Holley HP for EMS as this is in a 72 Maverick. It seems the most popular place is in the discharge tube after the intercooler before entering the TB so I think that's where I'll go.

It seems if I were to drill and tap the intake and locate it there, heat soak could raise the temps depending on which sensor I use.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/superchargers/1897434-iat-sensor-location-elbow-coupler.html

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Thanks boosted coupe. It was mentioned once in this thread and it seems like I had seen it a few other times.

I have Holley HP for EMS as this is in a 72 Maverick. It seems the most popular place is in the discharge tube after the intercooler before entering the TB so I think that's where I'll go.

It seems if I were to drill and tap the intake and locate it there, heat soak could raise the temps depending on which sensor I use.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/superchargers/1897434-iat-sensor-location-elbow-coupler.html
yes, heat soak is exactly why i moved mine. im officially jealous! my first real hot rod was a 72 maverick that my grandmother bought new, i sold it like 10 yrs ago and been trying to find it again ever since.

·
Registered
999 Posts
You are gonna get tons of opinions on this. I guess the main point to take from it is, when did Ford last install the IAT into the Lowers? ;)
They moved them for a reason. Mine is in my discharge tube. Its a short discharge tube and has meth being sprayed on it, but the car hauls and dead realiable and doesnt pull timing

·
Registered
21,854 Posts
I've used the search function, and have read it's best to place the IAT as closest to the intake valve as possible. So my question is, has anyone here put an IAT sensor on a Super Victor EFI intake? Below are some pics of my set up. Where would you put the IAT Sensor?

Thanks!

Why do you want to measure iat?

Is this speed density?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Yep speed density need iat sensor. Pretty much same reason mass air needs it. Fuel control and timing on how hot or cold outside air is. Like really cold outside or hot or when u first start the car.. Also u can use it on timing for boosted engines. Not a tuner here just stuff I picked up.

Put my sensor on the elbow for ease of install and use.

Attachments

·
Please call me Mike
1,567 Posts
I don’t know on Holley but on the MS you can adjust effects of IAT readings. If Holley works same way I’d put in easiest spot and adjust it.

·
Registered
21,854 Posts
Yep speed density need iat sensor. Pretty much same reason mass air needs it. Fuel control and timing on how hot or cold outside air is. Like really cold outside or hot or when u first start the car.. Also u can use it on timing for boosted engines. Not a tuner here just stuff I picked up.

Put my sensor on the elbow for ease of install and use.
that is a lot of captain obvious.....get to the actual use.

what do you want to measure, outside air temp?

really?

how does that help in a boosted scenario?

when you run one, you must actaully ask yourself

what do I want to measure, and that input is to effect what output?

·
Registered
90 Posts

Is this speed density?
Why else would he want to measure IAT? You seem to talk a lot but not much comes out.

Having an IAT as close to the valve is ideal if you want to the know the temps that are actually entering the cylinder. But in reality, you get a fair bit of heat soak there, so the values end up not being true values.
At the end of the day, you will end up getting heat soak to an extent anywhere post supercharger, so true IAT temps will always be off a little.
But if you can adjust the IAT settings/timing maps in your ecu, then somewhere in the discharge pipe would probably be best, as you ecu reading will be more consistent, and make it easier to tune for.

Issue with stock computers being the maps in them are already adjusted for the IAT temps. So by moving it into a 'less heat soaked' area, the ecu won't retard the timing in the higher IAT values, as it is seeing temp less that before. Issue with that is, the ecu was tuned for the original sensor location, whether it reads correct or not. So you need to be careful there.

·
Registered
21,854 Posts
You are bit of a talker, but a lot comes out..........what it is....is debatable

you live in the heat soak........be the believer.....

what about cold soak......forget about that.?

you say measure as close to CC, good.......you are catching on

good to see.

next?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Is this speed density?
Correct the Holley HP is speed density but why would I not want to monitor IAT's? Cooler air is desired right? Why not monitor it?

Cold air is much more dense than hot air. So the cooler you can get the air, the denser the oxygen molecules will be. Therefore if cooler air has more oxygen in it than warmer air, cooler air will make more power than warmer air.

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes, heat soak is exactly why i moved mine. im officially jealous! my first real hot rod was a 72 maverick that my grandmother bought new, i sold it like 10 yrs ago and been trying to find it again ever since.
Cool man! You don't see many Mavericks! My car was a factory V-8 car, but didn't come with a grabber hood or paint scheme.

Thanks everyone for the input.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Cool man! You don't see many Mavericks! My car was a factory V-8 car, but didn't come with a grabber hood or paint scheme.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Mine too! I had the paperwork where granny traded her 63 fairlane v8 on a 6cyl maverick... a couple days leter she went back and said the 6cyl mav was weak, so she traded for the white v8 car that was in the showroom at John Kennedy Ford in the Philly burbs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Correct the Holley HP is speed density but why would I not want to monitor IAT's? Cooler air is desired right? Why not monitor it?

Cold air is much more dense than hot air. So the cooler you can get the air, the denser the oxygen molecules will be. Therefore if cooler air has more oxygen in it than warmer air, cooler air will make more power than warmer air.

Just my thoughts.
Indy2000 likes to provoke thought and you missed the point of this question. He asked "why do you want to measure IAT?" I haven't seen anyone truly answer this question but have stated that it's important to know IAT. Question, regarding placement, is WHY it's important. High IAT's lead to detonation which is really bad for an engine especially with a heat generating supercharger or turbo. It's important to find the true temp of air that's entering the combustion chamber. The ECU reads this temperature and if the reading gets too high the ECU begins to pull an "x" amount of timing (a parameter set by the person programming the ECU for self tuners).

I have a positive displacement blower (kenne bell), notorious for heat and timing based on MAT's (IAT) is critical. Location of IAT sensor is important, you do not want to intentionally seek colder air for placement, you want REAL data or you'll be pickup up pieces of your rod bearings or pistons out of your oil pan.

The debate of heat soak is never ending. Some say heat soak only effects slow moving air, like cruise or idle engine speeds. Heat from the combustion chamber and from the engine block transferring to the lower intake is an issue and can effect the IAT sensor if located in the lower intake. Some will relocate the sensor to the upper intake or the pre-throttle body to avoid heat soak. You better hope you're measuring accurately and different combos will require different locations IMO.

I start pulling timing once my manifold air temp reaches 170*. With 80* ambient my car cruises between 140-150* MAT. I have a meth kit on my bench waiting to be installed to battle these temps and keep my engine together.

·
Registered
21,854 Posts
The answer

I want to measure iat so i can use it as tool to help reduce the chance of detonation

That is the only valid reason

Or you can get yourself a iat gauge next to your afr gauge and have a disco

Now your next question, i can use it as tool, what else can i measure to use as a tool to reduce chances?

You can measure anywhere you want, but you must know the cause and effect to be any use

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the input Indy2000 and Foxbody 817. Sounds like y'all are pretty knowledgeable, can you advise me on where to locate the IAT?

Pictures of my setup are above.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,854 Posts
I certainly cannot

I want no liability on your setup

What i can tell you, put it where it is easiest in the discharge, and start logging it

use the temps to reduce timing until you are happy

What IAT are you using, does it have a specific transfer function, ie voltage to temp?

are you inputting this?

It would be safe to start retarding timing when dis temps start getting over 200F

1 - 20 of 26 Posts