Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i want to do a turbo setup on my 99 gt, nothing has been done to the car because i don't have the money yet. but i will have the money soon. I want to do a single turbo setup on my mustang but have no idea what the best cams are and what all would be best for the car. when im finished with the car i would want to be running 11's in the 1/4. anybody have tips?

·
Registered
155 Posts
So i want to do a turbo setup on my 99 gt, nothing has been done to the car because i don't have the money yet. but i will have the money soon. I want to do a single turbo setup on my mustang but have no idea what the best cams are and what all would be best for the car. when im finished with the car i would want to be running 11's in the 1/4. anybody have tips?
Well that's a big step. Either way.
Throwing cams into stock heads and springs and valves to me in my opinion is a gain but water of money.
Why? Because a good cam with stock components can only get u so far with out fully building the heads and other parts which means removing the cam u just put in.
So I belive if u can do it right once then do it.
Trickflow heads can come bare or fully assembled
On3 is what I rock and I love it.
On a stock 2v I recommend bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, bbk makes a drop in pump perfect for 2v. Slot style maf from on3 and a tune. Roughly around 3500 and easily put down 380 420 depends on ur fuel and tuner.
I literally have done this so many times it's the easiest most efficient way and cost effective way to make poer vs $$

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you dont have money for just the turbo kit youre far away from the money needed to properly turbo that car and have it be reliable. You need a fuel system, clutch, trans, rear end, built motor, etc. next thing you know youre 20 grand in and not finished. I would change your direction unless you plan on coming across a large chunk of change. Often these type of projects end up unfinished or broke right after you get them done and youve wasted your money.

·
Founder of corral.net
1,585 Posts
As a Team Mustang engineer friend of mine once said, "We spend a lot of money making our cars less reliable."

You aren't going to be able to just smack on a turbo. (Well I mean you can, but everything down stream is going to break.). I'm going to guess that your 99 has over 100,000 miles on the clock by now. At bare minimum it's probably 50,000 miles. Either way I'm sure the stock clutch still lives in the car. If you have an automatic transmission then I don't know that things are any better. Certainly you can put a turbo on, but sooner or later you're going to need:

• Clutch
  • Transmission
  • Forged pistons
  • Forged rods
  • Forged crank
So while you can indeed stuff a turbo into your car with no other prep, understand that things down stream are going to break after you do this. So make sure you have money in your budget to replace them as the turbo is going into the car, or at some not-too-distant future point.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and a wall of busted parts to prove it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
As a Team Mustang engineer friend of mine once said, "We spend a lot of money making our cars less reliable."

You aren't going to be able to just smack on a turbo. (Well I mean you can, but everything down stream is going to break.). I'm going to guess that your 99 has over 100,000 miles on the clock by now. At bare minimum it's probably 50,000 miles. Either way I'm sure the stock clutch still lives in the car. If you have an automatic transmission then I don't know that things are any better. Certainly you can put a turbo on, but sooner or later you're going to need:

• Clutch
  • Transmission
  • Forged pistons
  • Forged rods
  • Forged crank
So while you can indeed stuff a turbo into your car with no other prep, understand that things down stream are going to break after you do this. So make sure you have money in your budget to replace them as the turbo is going into the car, or at some not-too-distant future point.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and a wall of busted parts to prove it.
Agreed there is a down side to every mod we do

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that's a big step. Either way.
Throwing cams into stock heads and springs and valves to me in my opinion is a gain but water of money.
Why? Because a good cam with stock components can only get u so far with out fully building the heads and other parts which means removing the cam u just put in.
So I belive if u can do it right once then do it.
Trickflow heads can come bare or fully assembled
On3 is what I rock and I love it.
On a stock 2v I recommend bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, bbk makes a drop in pump perfect for 2v. Slot style maf from on3 and a tune. Roughly around 3500 and easily put down 380 420 depends on ur fuel and tuner.
I literally have done this so many times it's the easiest most efficient way and cost effective way to make poer vs $$

ok, thankyou, this has really helped.

·
Registered
2000 Mustang GT
243 Posts
Stay at ~400hp on the stock block or things get really expensive really quick

·
Registered
303 Posts
I was once you asking about the same thing. 5yrs later and thousands and thousands of dollars later i have a car i hardly get to drive and when i do something else goes wrong. going turbo has been one of the worst decisions i think i've ever made with my car but most fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts