Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is strickly an opion thread.

Whats the stiffest rear Spring out for the 79-93 Mustangs.

Currently running an Eilbach Pro Kit Spring mounted on Maxium Motorsports Wieght Jacker Control arm, Running Strange 10 way adjustable Struts.

Im not looking at any events just mainly street cruising in and around my area.

Not looking for anytype of ride quailty just want it low and stiff.

81 Mustang LX Coupe

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
You'd kill those Strange's with probably anything stiffer than those weak ass Pro-Kit's. And during the killing process, it'll ride like a mule-drawn wood wagon.

I just don't see the purpose.

You'd probably have better luck from a swaybar upgrade.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
IMHO, go with a Mach1 rear 250, or something like an HR Super Race 260-300.
*I* don't like any of the Eibach springs. I think they are all to low and too soft to be good for anything. Your rear springs are typical Eibach springs, a huge drop, but without the required increase in spring rate.

Note, the drops are approximate values
Coil Spring Tech

You also have to be careful when comparing progress rate springs. Some may not get to their higher rating until mostly compressed. And, with stuff like Eibach, I doubt they even get to the rates they say until nearly in full bind. It costs less to make the higher spring rates happen at more compression (less windings & spring/material). Eibach is all about cost and selling to people that don't know about the specialty companies for their vehicles.

If you want to lower your car for looks, that's your choice.
I mentioned the above because it's also relevant to handling. IMHO, MM rear adjustable LCAs are a requirement to help tune the rear suspension height/rates.

BTW: As nice as coil overs are, *I* think they have no place at all on a mostly street Stang (like mine). MY Stang is my daily driver in warm weather and it has to deal with the MEGA POS New England roads. My Stang is ~25 years old. And, I plan on keeping it many more years! :) Part of that means not having the towers ripped the ***** out of by running coil-overs over POS streets.

So, it all depends on the exact desire/purpose of the mods and the use of the car. It varies for each person.

Hey, you wanted opinions. That's my two cents. :)
Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
BTW, I agree that the Strange shocks in back don't have enough damping for higher rate springs. Go with an adjustable Tok, Koni, or Bilstein.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Good luck with stiff springs and the current shocks you have now. But i guess thats besides the point. Look at MM TA springs 415-515.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Im not looking at any events just mainly street cruising in and around my area.

Not looking for anytype of ride quailty just want it low and stiff.
Stiffening just the rear by any considerable amount is not a very good idea, as it tends to let the tail get loose on you even in street driving. You may (or may not) be able (or always willing) to limit your driving to "just cruising", and in any event you can't control the weather.

Long way of telling you to plan on stiffening the front as well. Before you get caught off guard.

Norm

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stiffening just the rear by any considerable amount is not a very good idea, as it tends to let the tail get loose on you even in street driving. You may (or may not) be able (or always willing) to limit your driving to "just cruising", and in any event you can't control the weather.

Long way of telling you to plan on stiffening the front as well. Before you get caught off guard.

Norm
Front is ridding on 375lb 8" Coil springs very stiff....

right now looking at getting some H & R Race Springs and some Blistien Shocks

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
I'm running the H&R Super Race rear conventionals with the MM height adjustable LCAs and Bilstein HDs. I'm also running a PM3L with MM PHB. Current ride height in the rear is 25-5/8" ground to lip with 245/45/17s. Ride quality isn't bad and with the PM3L and MM PHB, the rear articulates better than ever.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm running the H&R Super Race rear conventionals with the MM height adjustable LCAs and Bilstein HDs. I'm also running a PM3L with MM PHB. Current ride height in the rear is 25-5/8" ground to lip with 245/45/17s. Ride quality isn't bad and with the PM3L and MM PHB, the rear articulates better than ever.
Thanks Im looking now for the Bisteins...I got the H R Springs

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
... and it has to deal with the MEGA POS New England roads.
Off topic, but I love that everyone in the US is convinced they drive on the ####tiest roads in the country. That's not a jab at you, Joe, just a general observation based on reading a number of automotive forums. Nobody ever posts something like, "I'm running 500# coilovers, but that's because Ohio has the best roads in the country. If you live somewhere else, you'll have to run softer springs." :p Having been stationed in CT, RI, VA, WA, HI, FL and NY over the years, I think in actuality all the roads are about the same. In a given area, there are some roads that are crap, but some (most) that are just fine.

Part of that means not having the towers ripped the ***** out of by running coil-overs over POS streets.
You would be the first example I've ever seen of strut tower failure due to coil-overs, particularly on a street car.

As for the original question, the H&R torque arm springs from Max Motorsports are the stiffest conventional springs I've seen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts