Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta rant on the FB Groups for a minute, as many have before me, I realize.

I wasn't around for the original 5.0 movement or anything, but I was around for the big forum boom in the late 90s/early 2000s. I know it won't ever be quite like that again but one place I think forums absolutely, unquestionably have an advantage over fb groups is storing reference material and writeups. I am so sick and tired of linking people to jrichker's 5.0 wont start thread when they ask why their 5.0 won't start. These damn things are decades and decades old now, its all been done before. There are writeups on how to put a Mark VIII motor in a GT. Somebody's put an IRS in an SRA car, and vice versa. Yet tons of people, everyday want somebody to give them a tailored, specific answer to these HUGE projects that they're asking about. Seems like nobody researches anything anymore. Nobody is willing to read up on similar projects to get a feel for what they can do / what's possible. Hell, nobody wants to read, period. Which cracks me up even more when so many want writeups on stuff, so that they can then go follow the writeup and somehow be "different' or "unique".

IMO, things like regional or local fb groups are great for the used marketplace, general BS like picture sharing, etc, and any cruise ins or get-togethers. Forums used to do that for us but I doubt that will ever be the case again. But jrichker's 5.0 won't start thread and threads like it need to stay on the forums, and I wish people would actually go find that thread before asking about it on fb.

/Rant

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Instead of people spoonfeeding them the info they seek (and are too ####ing lazy to at least google) merely link them here to the appropriate tech section..?

And I agree, FB is about borderline retarded...I have it, spend about 30 minutes a day, usually spread across my three breaks, and all I look at are a couple of Stang pages, and my two gun pages. I don't fascinate with other people's drama...can't stand that retarded ####. Hell, I work with a few clowns that provide more BS than what I can handle, and I get paid for that LOL, the online ####, no, hell no, ain't gonna bask in all that.

But from what I've seen over at the Fox Tbird/Cougar forum, even with sticky threads on no start, how to swap an HO into an '87-88 Cat/Bird, etc..nobody's ass reads the stickied info anyway, so it's just a waste. Like you said...everyone wants spoon fed the info..because "MY car is different"...

Jesus christ...it's different all right...so much so that only 896,823 others exactly like it were ever ####ing made.. >:)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I like the forum platform MUCH better because of how my screen isn't polluted with a whole lot of stuff I don't want to read. Sure, I still have to sort through the headings, but I'm not having to scroll endlessly through all of the complete posts to make sure I didn't miss anything I want too see. It's too much "right now" for someone like me who has a life outside of the electronic universe. I'm just too busy otherwise to be able to keep up with all of it as it happens and would rather be able to pick up on it in my time.

Kind of like a DVR. Love that.

With FB I end up sitting at my phone for an hour weeding through re-posted crap on top of re-posted crap, pictures of EVERYTHING, videos of EVERYTHING and entirely too much about everyones daily life when all I want to do is find whatever it is that I want to find. And the search function SUCKS.

But, it has allowed me to re-connecct with people ethat I otherwise would not have. It's great for what it was designed to be. A social network. Not so much as an informational resource.

But people love it so I have to put up with it even though it takes up entirely too much of my day. It's a required part of doing business in todays world. Quintessential necessary evil.

D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Typical FB posts

what's the largest tire I can fit on the rear
I want a cam that has a lumpy sound
I removed all the smog equipment off my car and now it runs like crap, why?
How much HP does my car make

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I definitely stopped following alot of the FB groups because of the same old boring nonsense. Tired of seeing the same thing on multiple pages. The forums are my go to place when I need help. The die hards will always be on the forums and will always lend good advice when asked.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Typical FB posts

what's the largest tire I can fit on the rear
I want a cam that has a lumpy sound
I removed all the smog equipment off my car and now it runs like crap, why?
How much HP does my car make
Haha, yeah, I'm amazed at how many mustang owners want the absolute cheapest, ####test way to get to huge tires and a low stance. Guys with stock 5.0 HOs convinced they "need" 315s on the rear. Because of the look. They're like domestic ricers...

And I'm about over the "pic for attention" thing.
That one drives me nuts too. "My 97 V6 won't start here's a run on sentence of nonsense pfa" and the pic is a Termi doing a burnout...

·
Corral Charter Member
11,141 Posts
What the hell is FB....

Never use it - it's exactly as described - a place for dramatic people to post their dramatic life events for others to see because in real life - no one wants to deal with their dramatic BS; so they get their "fix" via their FB posts so others can feel sorry for their 1 sided BS oh woe is me stories.

And who needs 50+ "photo" sites to upload and share photos??

And the bigger question is:
How the F does anyone have time to post minute by minute plays of their dramatic lives online - do all those people not have any jobs or responsibilities??

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
How the F does anyone have time to post minute by minute plays of their dramatic lives online - do all those people not have any jobs or responsibilities??
This is both funny and poignant. Between my wife, my 2 kids, the dog, work, my house and my Mustang hobby, I have almost no time for anything FB. I have many, many more interesting and important things vying for my attention and time.

Also if I am not "in touch with" or have "lost touch" with people from my younger life, there is probably a good reason for that.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I hate to generalize people, groups, places & things, but there seems to be a lot of Mustang Crashes invading my interweb.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The groups are killing forums, no doubt. But there's also no cost involved as there are with forums...no domain to pay for. The topics are completely stupid or they're just full of for sale/want ads.

·
Registered
53 Posts
To answer the questions that have been answered a million times, there are a few options. On one forum, you actually get a warning if you don't specify whether or not you searched for the answer to the topic.

Or, one could just not answer the question at all. I refrain from many such topics, know the answer but it's such a stupid question that I can come up with 5 stupid answers for the same question.

Honestly, I wonder how much different the sport/hobby would be if we didn't have a discussion forum at all, or even a FB discussion group? Perhaps it would motivate more people to get out to the shop and make something work instead of buying something to work?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

That God someone else has the same question as I do!

·
U.S. Army Active Duty
14,746 Posts
Listen here, I was clogging up the forums with useless stuff long before you started bitching about the lazy kids these days.

That said I don't have FB so I have no idea what exactly you are getting it but I have found searching via a mobil device is kind of a PITA. But if your care enough you would find it.

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Listen here, I was clogging up the forums with useless stuff long before you started bitching about the lazy kids these days.

That said I don't have FB so I have no idea what exactly you are getting it but I have found searching via a mobil device is kind of a PITA. But if your care enough you would find it.
Haven't seen you around in awhile John, been hiding in a corn field? How have you been doing?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've left a lot of car groups and may leave more, because I can't tolerate the people who ask the same tired questions over and over.

That, and I'm tired of people posting their ####ty cars incessantly as they thirst for affirmation.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts