Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a turbo project going and I also have a strange drag brake setup but retaining the factory booster and M.C.

I've heard that running power brakes is a nono with a boosted application but according to what I've read on turbomustangs.com there is no issue as long as the check valve at the booster is still good.

I know that with certain cams, vacuum can be effected at idle or just cruising.

As for turbos, I know that cruising and regular driving has very little effect on vacuum stored in the booster and there is plenty of vacuum available for power brakes. When I installed my turbo with the stock motor and stock brakes, I didn't run it very long and took it to an 1/8th mile one night and made a few passes and everything seemed fine.

I just want to make sure that (other than installing the strange brakes and alot more motor), when I crank the boost up and run it in the 1/4 that I'll still have enough vacuum stored for the stop.

I just found this post: http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2078.0 That seems alot more reassuring than other posts I've been reading.

·
Registered
705 Posts
You will be fine.. You are in vacuum when in braking anyway.. Or should be!!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Haha worry little...There is some capacity / storage in most brake boosters to cope with two or three brake applications...Just don't go pulsing your brakes too often..
Even if w/g isn't working correct.. The throttle being shut closed will still produce vacuum in inlet manifold...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha worry little...There is some capacity / storage in most brake boosters to cope with two or three brake applications...Just don't go pulsing your brakes too often..
Even if w/g isn't working correct.. The throttle being shut closed will still produce vacuum in inlet manifold...

I appreciate the info bro! It all sounds elementary when you put it that way and I feel like a complete tard! :blam: hah

Thanks again man!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts