Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is on a small truck I'm building. I would ask the question on the Mazda truck forum, but that forum don't really get into custom stuff. Its mostly a site for repair advise, etc.

Anyway, I ditched the factory linkage, and used a rack from a Mustang II as it was nearly the perfect size. It is a front mounted rack vs the rear mounted racks on our early Mustangs.

I got everything bolted on today. I've got the tie rod ends almost perfectly level to the lower control arms at ride height.

My question is does the tie rods have to be perfectly straight from front to rear with the lower control arms?

It would really help the steering linkage if I could move the rack towards the front of the truck about an inch or so, but that would make the rod ends angle slightly back towards the rear of the truck, at, I'm guessing about 15-20 degrees.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Are you sure that moving the rack 1 inch will result in that large of an angle?
Why not use spacers to put the rack where you think it should be and then measure the angles? It may not be that bad.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Since you have a front steer car, you want the tie rods to angle forward some. You'll need to move the rack back in the truck some. At a minimum, position the rack so that the tie rods are in line with the rack when the steering is centered.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Early mustangs didn't use a rack.

Did you put the rack behind or in front? Because if you use a front steer in the rear it will turn opposite to the way you steer.
Read his post again. He is using a Mustang II rack. This is the same as a Pinto rank-n-pinion. They were both built on the same platform. Just like the Fox Mustang and T-Bird and Fairmont were.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts