Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just got done going through my brakes after my last track day at Barber Motorsports Park on my 99 GT. The stock brakes are long gone and the car has:

Cobra brakes all around
Foglights removed and brake ducts pointing at the center of the front rotors.

I'm still fairly new to track days. Barber was my 5th track day, and my second this year. All last year I ran Hawk HPS pads and 360 TW street tires (275/40s on 17x9s, which I'm still running). I killed the HPSs and for my two track days this year I ran HP+son new rotors from Autozone.

While going through my brakes today I noticed that I have melted the piston boots off of my drivers side front caliper. See below

Last winter I replaced both front calipers with remans from Autozone. I'm guessing the boots they use weren't really built for track use!

My quesiton is, can I rebuild the calipers with higher-temp boots / seals? Or do I need to get 2 new remans from someplace that puts higher-temp boots and seals in their calipers? If thats the case, from where do you guys get your cobra brake calipers?

TIA

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Both of my cars that have seen track duty have destroyed boots on the calipers. That includes the boots on my CTS-V's 6-piston OEM Brembo calipers. I haven't done anything about it, and (knock on wood) haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both of my cars that have seen track duty have destroyed boots on the calipers. That includes the boots on my CTS-V's 6-piston OEM Brembo calipers. I haven't done anything about it, and (knock on wood) haven't had any issues.
Thank you for the reply. I was happy to see that the pistons weren't leaking but I was shocked that the boots were gone. I guess the o-ring or seal is fine but the boots are crapola.

Barber has many more right hand turns than lefts, and my drivers side boots were toast (drivers side was the one in the pic above) but my passengers side were still somewhat intact. Starting to tear, but still there at least. I was wondering if I was getting into wheel / wheel bearing / rotor flex and rubbing the inside pad on the drivers side because of that, causing excess heat which melted the boots????

Either way, I'm not tracking the car until next year due to scheduling conflicts with tracks in my area, so I just threw some cheapo autozone brake pads on it so I can drive it every now and then over winter to keep it moving. I'll be doing Carbotech or G-LOC pads next spring.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Every setup I've ever had I've cooked to boots on them. Including my cobra R Brembo calipers on their first track outing. I don't drive the car that much on the street but I do drive it some. Ive never had a problem with the cooked boots and I've always left them as-is. My new 6 piston Wilwoods don't even come with dust boots at all.

If you don't use your car as a daily driver, I see no reason to constantly fix the dust boots after every track weekend. I would leave them as-is....

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Boots, schmoots. It doesn't matter what you do, including titanium pad shims, you're going to melt the boots, and the caliper will live for years anyway.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Boots, schmoots. It doesn't matter what you do, including titanium pad shims, you're going to melt the boots, and the caliper will live for years anyway.
THIS......I W2W raced with the cobra "PBR"s for several years and would melt the boots by the second weekend. Only replacing the caliper when I had other issues (like spreading them from hard/heated use). 18 months ago I went to Stoptech's and have cooked the boots out of them. I called to inquire about replacement boots just in case and was told not to bother.....everything would be fine unless the car saw significant street use (dirt/rain/debris).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts