Registered
1,253 Posts
Now Joe, did you doctor up that first pic? hehe

Aren't wheels up launches fun?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buffhomer--yes I did. I lightened up around the front tire so you could actually see it. We should have taken the pics from the front of the car. The left side was in the shade. It's only a problem in February, since we go to lights at night in March anyway.

I may try to go to Dolaca near Brownfield on March 7th.

Joe

·
Registered
655 Posts
Joe,

Your a nut man, looks like your having fun though. Impressive times for such a heavy car.

When you putting the sway bar in? Looks as though you might could use it, level the launch out alittle. :joy:

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's got a stock GT rear sway bar on it right now. Maybe with the 150 shot I'll have to stiffen it up some.

Buffhomer--The retouch IS a little crude! I'll clean it up some tonight.

Joe

·
Registered
655 Posts
Joe Lynch said:
It's got a stock GT rear sway bar on it right now. Maybe with the 150 shot I'll have to stiffen it up some.

Buffhomer--The retouch IS a little crude! I'll clean it up some tonight.

Joe
Joe,

I'm referring to a rear sway (anti roll bar) bar such as Wolferacecraft's. If you think your 60' is nice now, wait till you get it in. When adjusted correctly it makes the car launch so much smoother and consistent.

cheers

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quarterstang86 --Yes, I agree about the aftermarket sway bar. All I meant was that I will probably add that after I finish the engine. I have a friend with a blown 90 LX and he put in a good rear sway bar and it helped his launch a bunch, just as you suggested. He is still dialing it in. I probably have 300 less horsepower than he does, but your point is well taken--The GT sway bar isn't much, even at my power level. I also have a set of air bags in the rear. I may try increasing the differential pressure some to favor the right side a little more. It's at 16 psi difference right now, looks like I could go to 20 or so on the juice.

Joe

·
Registered
340 Posts
Nice job Joe! Have you tried to run the car with/out the air bags in the back and just on your HAL shocks? I am curious to know what is the best setting that you have found launching with the bottle?
Also> have you reinforced your torque boxes? I have a convertible as well and am not sure which ones to go with?
Thanks
Great job!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WIKD 281--I haven't run it without the air bags, but it will be pretty good. The air bags are a hold over from the IRS, where I was trying to get any advantage I could. I have HPM Megabite Jr lowers and double adjustable uppers and the rear end is actually in quite a bit of a bind, in my opinion. I run the HAL/QA1 shocks at 4 with this setup, used to run them at 9 with the IRS. That is how much of a bind the rear end is in.

I broke some of the spot welds on the torque boxes early last year and finally welded them all up a couple of months ago. I haven't added any torque box reinforcements so I don't know what to tell you about them. If I break any more welds, I will become an expert, LOL.

I put in a set of Chassis Engineering subframe connectors that stiffened up the chassis a bunch. They are what I would recommend. They are made of 2" square tubing and I had a muffler shop weld them up for me. Really good pieces, in my opinion. Very simple, yet elegant from an engineering standpoint.

Joe

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hey Joe, you gonna give our new 1/8 mile track a shot here in Abilene when it opens next month? Let me know if you plan to come out, I'd like to watch you make some runs.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep, in April, maybe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts