Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was out with the truck today coming down the NJ turnpike and got to thinking. " my truck has no balls" so i remembered that a long time ago STS was desighning rear mount turbo kits for the04-09 f150s with the 4.6 and 5.4 V8s. so i looked online for a while and saw some vids with guys running them on their 4.6s and looked up the price of the kit and was blown away by the price tag of over $5000 with tuner and injectors (42s) i was looking at pics of the kit and saw nothing more then a turbo with a bunch of stright pipes and a few bends in the cold side... how could this thing be that much? so what do you guys think start piceing togeather a DIY rear mount turbo kit for my truck or buy the STS? im sure i can find a pump for the oil return if i DIY. the trucks warenty was up about 10,000 miles ago but is still my DD im not looking for big power but just a little more kick in the pants when i try and pass someone on the way to work. im thinking about 5lbs max on the stock motor ( still my DD an would like to make it last) as far as tuning goes i was thinking SCT X cal 3 and taking it to JDM in freehold and have them do it sence they have delt with the newer f150s and sponsor the tough truck races at the NMRA events. the truck in is good shape with only about 52,000 miles on it and i have had it sence new.
the truck is a 2007 F150 2WD STX all black with American Racing 22in wheels (black) and dropteck rear lowering shackle (2in) and ROUSH grill and hood.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
call jeff @ ponydown. i would just run a mp70 in the engine bay and have a simple kit fabbed up. it could be done for less than 4000 start to finish.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
With an engine bay as big as a pickup, no reason to rear mount a turbo. It will be a cool project.
ERich

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
call jeff @ ponydown. i would just run a mp70 in the engine bay and have a simple kit fabbed up. it could be done for less than 4000 start to finish.
i priced up all parts including hot,cold,turbo,BOV,WG and oil return system an came out to around $1000 alot less then $4000 plus add tuner and fuel system and still alot cheaper. if you look at pic of the STS kit the hot side consists of about 4ft of stright pipe with a T4 flang then run the cold side to the Tbody (no intercooler seeing im only running about 5PSI max and thers about 12ft of cold side to cool it threw the pipe) i whent for a ride in a bone stock WS6 trans am with the STS kit with no intercooler and ran like a bat out of hell with no turbo lag

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
its really easy to mount an intercooler and they can be had for around $100 on ebay. It would be well worth it even at only 5psi. Go with a small turbo like a 57-62mm with .82a/r. It will give your truck tons of balls

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its really easy to mount an intercooler and they can be had for around $100 on ebay. It would be well worth it even at only 5psi. Go with a small turbo like a 57-62mm with .82a/r. It will give your truck tons of balls
i realy dont think an intercooler will be nessasary but if i do get one i was looking at the small and long ones abou 6 inches hight about 4ft long and running under the cap along the rail with a small fan pulling air from the top. so when you pop the hood all you se is a "cold air intake" lol.sleeper!

·
Registered
864 Posts
im actually in the middle of doing a rear mount turbo on my 07 f150 right now. you can pm me any questions if you want.

its going to be a rear mount despite all the room under the hood because of the easy of removal when emissions time comes around. or i may just leave it in since anything you do after the cats is legal. i plan to run 8psi with an intercooler but as soon as i hit 375rwhp on the dyno im telling my tuner to stick a fork in it. mine too is my DD and want to keep is safe and reliable.

going to cost about $1000 in parts. but i did have a lot of stuff laying around and found a killer deal from a member here in the classified section

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im actually in the middle of doing a rear mount turbo on my 07 f150 right now. you can pm me any questions if you want.

its going to be a rear mount despite all the room under the hood because of the easy of removal when emissions time comes around. or i may just leave it in since anything you do after the cats is legal. i plan to run 8psi with an intercooler but as soon as i hit 375rwhp on the dyno im telling my tuner to stick a fork in it. mine too is my DD and want to keep is safe and reliable.

going to cost about $1000 in parts. but i did have a lot of stuff laying around and found a killer deal from a member here in the classified section
is your truck a 5.4 or a 4.6? can you post pics? do you have a build thread?

·
Registered
864 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts