Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that the on3 turbos weren't all that great but mine just junked out with only 9 miles on it! Yes 9mi. I'm not crying though what do you expect for a $400 turbo.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Ehh, I've seen good and I've seen bad. did you prime it with oil before firing the car? does it have adequate oil pressure and drain?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Primed it along with the engine, using the on3 supply line, 5/8 drain. Feed is at 12, drain is dead on 6 o clock. On3 said they would give me a slight discount on a new chra, which is good. I will be tearing this one down to make sure it's not an oiling issue.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I think I owe on3 an apology. Upon further inspection and removal of the turbo, it appears that something went through the exhaust housing. The outer 1/4 of the exhaust turbine blades are sheared off and has destroyed the housing itself. Unless the turbine wheel just self destructed something went through it. spark plugs all look good, but I won't know much until I scope the cylinders.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Well I think I owe on3 an apology. Upon further inspection and removal of the turbo, it appears that something went through the exhaust housing. The outer 1/4 of the exhaust turbine blades are sheared off and has destroyed the housing itself. Unless the turbine wheel just self destructed something went through it. spark plugs all look good, but I won't know much until I scope the cylinders.
Well I applaud you for the apology if indeed the turbo did not destruct itself. Keep on inspecting, you may find out what happened.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yeah i figured it wasn't that major of a manufacturing defect, although I wouldn't be that surprised. their stuff isn't great but it isn't super normal for their turbos to blow that easy. as far as debris hurting the turbine wheel, did you drop a socket or something in the tube? is the flex joint in the crossover pipe still in tact? They can sometimes fail and shoot debris through the turbo.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Debris in the crossover/exhaust side or just a failed turbo would be best case scenario. A local mechanic is letting me borrow his bore scope tonight. I'm hopeful there is no internal damage. The car still ran fine although sluggish because of over fueling and only making about 1-2# of boost. I will keep everyone posted. Pics to come.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after a few hours with a bore scope I have found zero signs that anything passed through the engine. Everything looks like it should, valves, pistons, cylinder walls all look good. The crossover pipe, wastegate, and headers all look good.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Debris in the crossover/exhaust side or just a failed turbo would be best case scenario. A local mechanic is letting me borrow his bore scope tonight. I'm hopeful there is no internal damage. The car still ran fine although sluggish because of over fueling and only making about 1-2# of boost. I will keep everyone posted. Pics to come.
how is it over fueling?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know the answer to that at the moment. In my last datalog it just shows it was running a little on the rich side. Just one more thing to address in the future.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Normally the path from the wheel tips to the volute of the compressor is narrowed greatly (diffuser section i think) so normal sockets usually wont pass through it. the object must have been smaller than the wheel tip height for it to pass through the diffuser so that could possibly help narrow down what when through there. see image for reference.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
although after thousands of collisions with wheel tips, it might have been shot through there regardless of original size. look at the diffuser section of the housing and chra to see if you can find where it gauged its way through.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I don't know the answer to that at the moment. In my last datalog it just shows it was running a little on the rich side. Just one more thing to address in the future.
barring a mech issue

it should change, that is why you have 02 sensors and fuel trims

If it is changing, there is an input telling it to, which is normal

If you are eagle eyeing the WB, I suggest you don't, it is normal to be high and low during transients.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I'm guilty of this! I installed the WB to dial my fuel in. From my research, when at high RPM and under boost, and you see things going really lean on the WB, its too late. I could be wrong about that statement. Rather than me trying to describe what the housing looks like I will snap some pics tonight.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Just curious, where is your O2 sensor located? Post or Pre turbo?

ks

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
o2 sensors are pre turbo, one per header close to what would be the collector on a shorty header. Both were removed and inspected, they are all in tact.
Pull them out and make sure they are still intact. I just read that they should be after the turbo b/c they can't handle the heat and they may have melted.

ks

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They were removed and carefully inspected, fully intact. This may be a question for a different thread but if there are 2 hego sensors, 1 sensor per bank, on a tuning/diagnostic standpoint, if they are post turbo, you couldn't differentiate between the banks. Say one bank lean/rich. I may be wrong. Interested in input on this topic.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
That is true with a single turbo system, but putting the sensors upstream is also affecting their accuracy due to both the increased heat and increased gas pressure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts