Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was having a so-so weekend and was very frustrated until I saw this. I couldn't believe it and I still can't, but the picture doesn't lie.

Believe it or not, on this pass, my 60ft was a 2.04!! Something was amiss with the car's launch all weekend and I'm having trouble figuring it out. It has just started doing this in my last 2 trips to the track (about 10-12 passes). Obviously the car initally hooks, but I'm thinking that the suspension is unloading and the tires spin. I know the tires were spinning, but I didn't know it was hooking THAT hard and then spinning. I'm suspecting the clutch, but does anyone else have any ideas?

The car has completely stock suspension with no front sway bar. Slicks and gears....and that's about it. I don't think my WMS Velocity Tube helped me yank the tire. :p The car has cut consistent 1.71-1.75 60fts before, so I had always wondered if it was coming up enough to pull the tire.

It was good to meet some of the Mod Motor guys. Maybe I'll get the car to hook consistently and do a little better next time. ;)

Eric
M/M #333

·
Registered
684 Posts
Looks like you are hooking initially and your rear suspension is unloading the tires, hence the 2.04 60ft. time.

Get an airbag on that right rear spring. It will straighten it out and not let it squat so much and will most likely cure the unloading problem..... at least at this power level.

Later, Jason

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Nice launch! Too bad it's only netting you 2.0x... Suspension must be unloading on you. You should check out some of the suspension posts in the Drag Racing Forum.

Yahoo Geocities won't let you host images like that with their free services...otherwise I'd post my pics all the time!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you guys think it could be the clutch? Reason I think it's something like that is because this just started within the last 10 passes or so. It used to be fairly consistent in every way..launch, ET, etc. Now, it spins no matter how much air I have in the tires and I'm not doing anything different. Tires are new, weight of the car is the same....suspension hasn't changed..nothing has changed. I will be putting in some drag struts and shocks soon to try and gain a little more hook, but I'd like to figure out what is going on now before making any changes.

Thanks guys!

Eric

·
Registered
678 Posts
Looks good, If I may suggest I think your tires might be unloading because on launch I dont see any wrinkles in the slicks. Looks good might just be something you wanna try.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NOVIFED said:
Looks good, If I may suggest I think your tires might be unloading because on launch I dont see any wrinkles in the slicks. Looks good might just be something you wanna try.
You may not be able to tell in the pic, but the slicks are definitely wrinkled. I've just got to find out why the car is unloading. I'm hoping it's something simple like the clutch.

Hmmmmm....or maybe my throttle was screwy after doing that damn MW throttle adjustment. :mad: I think the damn throttle cable is stretched, but it's hard to tell.

Eric

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WIKD 281 said:
Nice :eek:
How wide are those hossier slicks that you are running? Have you ever tried the E/T drags?
26 x 9" Hoosier DO5 compound on a 15 x 8" Centerline Telstar.

Never tried the M/T on this car. I know they work, I have just talked to more people that liked the Hoosier and would never go back to an M/T than I have talked to people that run a M/T and would never go back to a Hoosier. Make any sense? I've found that MOST people that run M/Ts haven't run the Hoosiers yet.

Eric

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Looks good. The airbag would probably help you out a bit as well to keep it straight. Your car launches like mine did before my suspension work.

Bill

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll try the airbag. Another one of my friends also suggested that maybe since the track was prepped for this event, maybe my car had never seen this type of track prep and it grabbed REALLY hard, bottomed out the rear shocks, and upset the suspension which is never good. Maybe...I dunno.

All I know is there is some suspension work in the near future. :D

Nice meeting you finally Bill..nice looking car. Good luck with the points race.

Eric

·
Registered
95 Posts
I Just Happened to be browsing and recognized the photo, the car in the other lane that redlighted first round was mine MM#94
9:[email protected] 149mph. Your Short time problem is not likely in the clutch.
We had Three cars there #1, #2 & #4 Qualifiers And all of our 60 ft times were off. the heat was one problem, but yours being off 3 tenths sounds more like stock suspension

·
Registered
298 Posts
Very nice :D I was quite shocked at the amount of transfer I was able to get by removing the front sway bar. I'm running Nittos, so I'm not getting any air or anything, but I was still shocked that 2.03-2.19 60's at Atlanta would even look as good as they did.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
modmtrman said:
I Just Happened to be browsing and recognized the photo, the car in the other lane that redlighted first round was mine MM#94
9:[email protected] 149mph. Your Short time problem is not likely in the clutch.
We had Three cars there #1, #2 & #4 Qualifiers And all of our 60 ft times were off. the heat was one problem, but yours being off 3 tenths sounds more like stock suspension
My car has stock, quiet exhaust so here I am cruising along slow as ever in 4th gear when all the sudden I hear what sounds like a very fast moving object go by....maybe an F16? :eek: When your car blew by me I was like....HOLY GRANOLY WTF?!?! I've bracket raced before, but never been paired up against a car that fast. :D

What happened at the light? According to my timeslip, it looks like you left before your tree came down.

Very nice, very fast car BTW.....see you next time.

Eric

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
87LXHatch said:
Very nice :D I was quite shocked at the amount of transfer I was able to get by removing the front sway bar.
I'm still shocked. I guess what I did proves that pretty much ANY V8 Mustang with slicks and some gear and no front swaybar should be able to yank the tire right? :D You just gotta catch with the camera....that's the hard part.

I never woulda thunk it, but you learn something new everyday.

Eric

1 - 20 of 23 Posts