Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a freshly rebuilt stock bottom end 302, running Edelbrock aluminum heads, with Keith Black Hypereutectic pistons that net about 10.5:1 compression.

I have an opportunity to get a good deal on a complete new supercharger setup, and its currently set to 9psi, and I would be looking to drop back to around 6psi, due to the higher static compression that my engine has.

I have seen people run the hyper pistons in a supercharged setup with no issues as long as they run high octane fuel, and minimize their advance, but I don't know that their static compression was as high as mine. After contacting Keith Black, they basically tell me I'm building a grenade just waiting to obliterate pistons, even at only 6psi.

I am pretty sure that I need to wait and just build a different engine if I want to supercharge it, but thought I would take one last bit of advice and see if anyone has been successful with a similar setup as mine.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
9:2:1 compression I ran stock ford hypers @13.5 psi with 20 degrees of timing, if that helps. It was at a time that my car was already tuned by someone, and I added a meth kit after the tune. Although, it wasn't hooked up for a few of the passes with that boost. The engine is still running today.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I have had a heck of a time finding a tuner in my area (Pacific NW in the Portland, Oregon area). If anyone knows of a good tuner, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Yea, I have had a heck of a time finding a tuner in my area (Pacific NW in the Portland, Oregon area). If anyone knows of a good tuner, please let me know.
I got tired of taking it to a tuner. I finally learned how to do it myself. Between youtube and forums, it can be done. There are people like Decipha, that can help with the learning curve. He will want to get paid, but having a good tune and access to the data in the ecu is worth a lot.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Do you have E-85 in your area? That would definitely help as far as tune-ability goes. For the Hypers, I would think if you could keep IAT's down it would live at 6psi but I don't have any real world experience with it. Why not just try it, and it melts a piston, just buy some new forged ones.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
My 306 makes about the same compression and i had a heck of a time keeping a gasket at anything above 6psi with 93 octane. switched to e85 and solved the problem but on 93, it's not super easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts