Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some tips on setting up a Hurst ramrod on a toploader. I've made a bracket to keep the shifter closer to center of the tailhousing, and forward to make the handle come through the stock shifter hole on my 92lx. Just looking for some advice on making shift rods. I'm thinking about going with 3/8" heims ends and some chromoly tubing, then bend accordingly for the rods. 90% strip car.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I ran T&C top loaders for years and just used Hurst rods, but that was 1990 and earlier. The rods were never under all that much stress if the shifter stops were set right, and the weight didn't really matter to me. Of course I used synchros and the clutch but I shifted hard and fast at full power and a short travel clutch.

I have no idea how chrome moly would work for bending or cracking. In 30 years I never bent or broke a Hurst rod and they looked like regular carbon steel. I broke lots of steel bushings but never a rod issue. The transmissions are damn good.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I think you might have a very fond dislike for 4130 after you try running a regular hand tap thru it. I would tig weld threaded 4130 bungs on the ends, I think. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, I'm not dead set on using chromoly, it's just readily available, but so is regular steel. I am dead set on using the toploader, not %100 sure about this shifter. I love the idea, but getting it to fit and not be a hack job is looking to be tough.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After some lengthy and humerous conversations with Dan Williams, I think I am going to ditch the inline shifter idea. It would require a lot of transmission tunnel modifications and or shifter mods to make it fit right. I think I'll just keep it simple, and use the competition plus.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I have considered top loader for my '93 GT. I would like a TKO600, but man it's like $1500 more for just the transmission.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you on that! All said and done I should have about $500 in my swap. Sold my T5 and bellhousing for $525. I think it was a good move.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
My go to transmission was always a T&C toploader and competition plus with steel bushings. I never had a problem and they were easy to rebuild. I would always freshen them with new brass and bearings. I never had an issue shifting at any RPM just using unmodified OEM rebuild parts.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I made my own bracket, the Ramrod fits through the factory shifter hole without cutting! But 1quick95 hooked me up with a nice super shifter that would give it a much cleaner look, you know, one handle instead of three.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts