Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the turbo done and have been driving it a bit now,did some hard pulls and it does fine..just seems like i'm getting oil from somewhere?So i bought 2 of this type of breathers http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BSP-21120/ one for each V/C.I have the PCV plugged in the back of the lower intake.I also notice the dipstick gets pushed out a little also.So does this sound like it still has to much crank case pressure?Or something else is wrong??I havent had it on the dyno so i have no clue how much power i'm making?But my A/F is good i have a meter and gauge.But another guy on here is laying down some good power and has the same set upwith no problems,his engine is brand new.Mine is a fresh rebuild and if i had to say at the most 20-30000 miles.I thought maybe the V/C were leaking so i put new factory gaskets.I see some residue by the head studs so dont know if thats a big concern or not?Also i know the rear main needs replaced,and will do that in the up comming months.Just getting ideas before i go removing the turbo system so i can see down the side of the passengerside just incase i dont need to remove it.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
if the dipstick is pushing out you proably already know your getting boost past your rings. the breathers your using seem to have a very small vent tube coming off and maybe its not allowing enough pressure to escape. more than likely the oil your seeing is a fine mist escaping around the breathers because of back pressure. a cheap fix would be to try the cheapie breathers with the biggest vent tube you can find and run the lines into a catch can. another thing that can help is to fab some sort of baffle under the vent hole in the valve cover to prevent a direct path to the breathers for oil to escape. remember your trying to vent pressure not oil. hope this helps.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if the dipstick is pushing out you proably already know your getting boost past your rings. the breathers your using seem to have a very small vent tube coming off and maybe its not allowing enough pressure to escape. more than likely the oil your seeing is a fine mist escaping around the breathers because of back pressure. a cheap fix would be to try the cheapie breathers with the biggest vent tube you can find and run the lines into a catch can. another thing that can help is to fab some sort of baffle under the vent hole in the valve cover to prevent a direct path to the breathers for oil to escape. remember your trying to vent pressure not oil. hope this helps.
I was thinking that also.I'm seeing 9PSI on the boost gauge

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
If dipstick is pushing out then you have more blow by then just open breathers can handle. Catch can probably wont help.

Look into a crank case vac system to put a positive vacuum on the crank case.
There are many ways to do this cheaply.

My ideas
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1253597&highlight=

Rear main seal leak is from the blow by as well. Oil is probably coming out of dipstick.
You do want to baffle the v/c's well. I like to cut a piece of alumn that runs full length of v/c with 1/8" gap around edges and screw it into the mounting studs in each corner.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look into that set up also r.barn thanks!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been searching on here as well as other forums plus talking with my buddy...and would it still work if i use the breathers i mentioned above and then run hoses off them back into the stock PCV valve in the lower intake?I also seen a guy's setup with a vortec blower and he ran a hose from the fillerneck on stock vc's to the inlet tube before the TB.How would this work with a turbo verses a blower?Does a turbo produce more then a blower as far as blow by?As far as going the stock PCV way i said. i was gonna run a hose off each vc then T it into the stock PCV then into the stock location in the intake.

·
Registered
711 Posts
My plan is welding a single 8AN bung to each valve cover and run 8AN line to a vented catch can. I also plan on capping off the stock PVC system.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would go to a -12 a -8 will be to small.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have been searching on here as well as other forums plus talking with my buddy...and would it still work if i use the breathers i mentioned above and then run hoses off them back into the stock PCV valve in the lower intake?I also seen a guy's setup with a vortec blower and he ran a hose from the fillerneck on stock vc's to the inlet tube before the TB.How would this work with a turbo verses a blower?Does a turbo produce more then a blower as far as blow by?As far as going the stock PCV way i said. i was gonna run a hose off each vc then T it into the stock PCV then into the stock location in the intake.

That's going to cause you one hell of a vacuum leak if you plumb everything back into the intake. You really should run a -12 line from each VC into a catch can with a breather. A route I may experiment with is to also run a -12 line from the lower intake where the PCV is (was) and dump that into the catch can also. Don't plumb anything back into the intake manifold that has a breather attached to it.

Also, DO NOT run a hose from the VC to the inlet tube. That will pressurize your crankcase and you can kiss all of your seals goodbye. Most of the blower guys run a line from the fill neck to the power pipe BEFORE the supercharger and after the MAF. That, however, cannot be done with a turbo setup.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's going to cause you one hell of a vacuum leak if you plumb everything back into the intake. You really should run a -12 line from each VC into a catch can with a breather. A route I may experiment with is to also run a -12 line from the lower intake where the PCV is (was) and dump that into the catch can also. Don't plumb anything back into the intake manifold that has a breather attached to it.

Also, DO NOT run a hose from the VC to the inlet tube. That will pressurize your crankcase and you can kiss all of your seals goodbye. Most of the blower guys run a line from the fill neck to the power pipe BEFORE the supercharger and after the MAF. That, however, cannot be done with a turbo setup.
Why can the super charger deal be ok but not on a turbo aplication?As i have it now with the breathers in the v/c seems to be working good,or atleast better!The dip stick isnt comming out now.I will run this set up for now till i piece together the catch can set up like i intend to still do.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Why can the super charger deal be ok but not on a turbo aplication?
It's essentially not really any different for a turbocharged appication. Typical supercharger installations have power pipes and the line from the filler neck is always ran to the power pipe BEFORE the supercharger inlet. If you run a line from the filler neck in a turbocharged application, the only place you can vent the line is before the turbocharger inlet where the air filter mounts, which some people do because a small vacuum is created and that sometimes helps with crankcase evacuation. You just want to avoid connecting the line to any area where boost is created, which is all of the coldside piping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts