Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many months since I've visited this site.

Short history, 96 gone since 2013, picked up a 95 Cobra with ongoing issues, soon to be gone in the near future. Had plans to TT the 95.

Now the want vs the need...

Found an 86 SVO local, looks like a possible candidate for DD and track/auto-x duties. It falls in TTE, and I would try to keep it there, as the mods will be minimal.

Who is running, or has tracked a near stock SVO?

While I don't expect to set track records, I think it could be a fun competitive ride.

Thoughts, comments, opinions...?

Thanks,

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm, no love for SVO...

·
Registered
27 Posts
My mom had an 84 SVO, all stock back in the early 90's, my dad drove it a lot and he really liked it, wishes he still had it. Great handling, good brakes, ran strong, could not tell it was 4 banger. He drives my 88 LX with some mods, comparing them he would take the SVO. According to him it would make a great track day car.

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
I pinged a friend of mine who used to work in engineering at Ford and who used to track his SVO quite a lot, but he's not a member here. Here's what he had to say:

I have tracked my SVO quite a bit and knew a member of the original 1984 SVO factory track team.

Problem with tracking SVO:
No replacement parts available
Very few easy to find performance parts
Needs boost, and constantly boosting means engine rebuilds every season
Very temperature sensitive
Small brakes

Advantages:
Great balance
Light weight
Pretty straightforward, not much to dial in because no adjustable aftermarket parts to worry about
Forces you to become great driver like a miata driver.

Tracking the SVO is what convinced me to buy the cobra... Much simpler and more reliable. Kept blowing high pressure intake hoses when running 20 psi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts