Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this thread to share my 'journey' in regards to the modifications I made to my HP performance kit to allow it to fit my 88 GT exactly the way I wanted it to. This is in no way a 'bash HP Performance' thread. I bought the kit used and in rough shape knowing that I would have to modify it to fit my needs. This is one of the original HP kits that was designed to work with a 60mm turbo. I originally only expected to have to make minor modifications, but as soon as I put the engine in the car, I quickly realized that major changes were necessary.

The passenger side fit fine. A little close to the boxed in frame rail, so that will be trimmed.

The driver side is where the issues were. There was no way in hell that the header was going to clear the beefy MM k-member.

My solution was to chop up the header and modify it so it would go between the power steering pump and frame rail.

I reused the original collector.

Good clearance to sway bar mount and frame rail.

Modifying that header left me with this:

So I re-built the crossover to mate up with the new collector. I also added a flex bellow while I was at it.

For those that are wondering, my turbo is choice was a Comp 76mm .96a/r with the billet wheel and ball bearing option. Oil fed and water cooled. Whole turbo weighs around 18lbs.

Next up is getting the turbo placement in the engine bay...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The passenger header was designed for a 60mm turbo, so the 76mm Comp sat so low that the turbine housing was almost sitting on top of the frame rail. I had to modify the header to make the turbo sit higher.

Before:

After:

I had to hack away a lot of the boxed in framerail and fender apron so the turbo would fit. This will get fixed later.

Made a new downpipe because the old one was beat up pretty bad.

I also modified the rest of the existing downpipe pieces to work with the new turbo placement. Once I clocked that turbo up higher, it threw everything else off.

Downpipe and y-pipe all mocked up:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mocking up the coldside:

After I mounted the BOV and the wastegate, I realized I had a clearance issue. The wastegate was a bit too close to the BOV for my liking. It probably would have been fine, but I wanted to recirculate the wastegate, so I had to modify it's location anyway.

Where I planned to relocate the wastegate:

New piping to make it all work.

Tacked in place:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b281/raceoholic330/Black%20Velvet/Restoration%20project%20-%202011

Clearance is much better now.
[IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b281/raceoholic330/Black%20Velvet/Restoration%20project%20-%202011/DSC_0233.jpg

Welding everything together.

Exhaust hanger for the y-pipe.

I also welded bungs for the methanol injection.

Entire hotside all complete and ready for sandblasting.

Next I will address the mess I made of my fender apron and framerail to get the turbo to fit.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Plumbing the turbo drain required modifications to the frame rail:

Here is what was done to repair the area that the turbo sits in. I couldn't just leave a big hole in the fender.

Also cleaned up the hole for the discharge tube.

What it all looks like.

Welded up.

First round of grinding.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are the hot pipes before sandblasting:

All the pipes after sandblasting:

And finally, pipes after a trip to Jet-Hot:

Hotside mounted on the engine:

The downpipe got a little dent on the edge during the ride back from Jet-Hot. It will bend back easily though.

And that's about all folks. Took a lot of time and effort to get things just the way I wanted, but I'm happy with the outcome. Next time, I'll just make a kit from scratch! I orginally did not have the confidence to tackle a custom kit from the ground up, but halfway through I realized that I could have done everything myself.

The car itself is still very far off from being done, but it's getting there. For those that are interested, here is my full build thread on StangNet.
Raceoholic330's restoration thread. Dart 331, turbo, IRS, etc... | Mustang Forums at StangNet

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
You did a really nice job.

I have half a mind to try something like this myself.

What tools were most useful for you in doing your pipe, and inner fender modification work?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys.

The main tools I used for the fabrication were a 110v Lincoln Electric MIG welder and a 4 1/2 inch cutoff wheel. I used a flap disc to smooth out some of the welds on the driver side header. I also used electric shears and 14ga tin snips to cut all the engine bay pieces. The shears were great because they do not distort the metal as they cut. The tin snips were mainly used for tight bends and corners. A cordless jig saw was used for the 5" hole around the turbo inlet. I ate a few blades cutting a radius that tight.

If I do it again, I'll buy a small band saw to cut the pipes. The cutoff wheel worked fine, but a band saw would give me a more precise cut.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Good to know what to keep an eye out for, thanks! Where did you source some of the new pipe you used?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got just about all my stuff from Mandrel-Bends.com. I also picked up some of the v-band flanges, clamps, and silicone couplers from racepartsolutions.com

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got just about all my stuff from Mandrel-Bends.com. I also picked up some of the v-band flanges, clamps, and silicone couplers from racepartsolutions.com
I was gonna ask the same thing about the mandrel bent piping ill he redoing my croosover soon looks fantastic can't wait to see it run

·
Registered
448 Posts
I really like seeing people build their own stuff man that's a REALLY nice lookin setup. Job well done. I will not lie though I'm jealous of 1) Your garage, seriously do you sweep that thing nightly or what? and 2) Your fabrication skills. God I need to learn how to weld already. But seriously good job man it looks absolutly amazing. hope I can see it in person one day.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol. Thanks. I'm really anal about keeping the garage clean. I park my daily in there as well and use it for other things when I'm not working on the car, so I don't want it being filthy all the time!

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Very nice work, hope to see the car out soon!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts