Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 93 LX....original owner with 100k miles. Stock suspension.

I've only cared about straightline performance in this car, but recently I've wanted to get into road racing. Since I don't want to put a roll bar in my '03 Cobra vert, I'm left with the option of using the Fox or selling it for something else. The car has sentimental value, so I'd love to keep it and use it for road racing....BUT....I have several questions.

1. Assuming that I'm capable of doing extensive suspension mods, any re-conditioning required and with above average driving skills, can a properly set up Fox Body hang with the M3's, Evo's, Vettes and Vipers on a road course???

I'm sure those gutted, wide body and heavily cambered cars can do it, but can a street car ever be setup to hang with them? I'd be willing to go with a rollbar setup, rear seat delete, battery relocation, lightweight hood, splitter.....but I don't want the car in the weeds, don't want a huge wing and I want to keep it streetable and registered (I'll do exhaust mods anyway).

If so, what are some good examples of fox body's that can do this??? What's the mod list?

I'm not looking to win class championships or break records but I'd love to be able to mod up my Fox Body and, with some good driving skills, run with some of today's high performance cars.....and ofcourse....represent fox bodies.

If there's a thread that covers this in general, please do send. (I didn't see anything from a broad point of view)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Chris

·
Registered
568 Posts
can a properly set up Fox Body hang with the M3's, Evo's, Vettes and Vipers on a road course???
Yes.

I'm sure those gutted, wide body and heavily cambered cars can do it, but can a street car ever be setup to hang with them?
Probably not.

There's any number of YouTube videos that show fancier cars being out driven by someone in a fox, but compared to "M3's, Evo's, Vettes and Vipers," equal drivers, a mildy prepared street fox doesn't stand a chance.

·
Registered
565 Posts
A streetable fox mustang won't do the job. My car is fully gutted, 2970lbs with driver, full cage, everything maximum motorsports with race valved shocks and really high spring rates, 320ish rwhp. I race against a race prepped Z06 corvette here in norcal. The driver is very capable, our cars are very close in lap times but he is just a bit quicker. Basically, whoever wins pole wins the race because neither of us can pass the other. Having said that, I can tell you that driving my car is a handful. I'm constantly making corrections, while looking at him in his videos it almost appears that he is on a Sunday drive.

Weight is key. That is the only advantage you can have over the cars mentioned. But, imo once you strip the car of all it's unnecessary weight it is no longer streetable.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Also depends your opinion of streetable.

You could add your interior back for 50ish lbs.

If you do not mind having to dodge potholes on the street, get a comfy driver seat and have at it with a nice stereo to cancel out the nvh :)

That's what I did anyway :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses!

I had a feeling that there'd be no streetable solution.

Coupe de Surf....if you had 450rwhp in your car, would you be able to take advantage of that or would that make your car even more difficult to handle in the turns and upset the balance of the car currently??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also depends your opinion of streetable.

You could add your interior back for 50ish lbs.

If you do not mind having to dodge potholes on the street, get a comfy driver seat and have at it with a nice stereo to cancel out the nvh :)

That's what I did anyway :p
I have a pretty high tolerance for nvh, but the pothole issue is a problem where I live. The roads suck! >:p

·
Registered
565 Posts
Thanks for the responses!

I had a feeling that there'd be no streetable solution.

Coupe de Surf....if you had 450rwhp in your car, would you be able to take advantage of that or would that make your car even more difficult to handle in the turns and upset the balance of the car currently??
If I had 450rwhp I could easily drive away from the cars in my class, but I would be at 6.6lbs per 1 hp, way under the limit of 8.7/1 for my class. Also how are you going to make 450rwhp? That's in the territory where you need a Dart block, that adds a lot more weight to the nose of the car which is exactly where you don't want it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
M3's, Evo's, Vettes and Vipers
Yes, Yes, Yes (the Z06 passed me though). I was eating these guys up last time. I have the full griggs GR40 racing system and roll bar with a fordstroker 347. car is 3500 with me in it and made 380 at the tires with tiny headers. I didn't have any problems keeping up and passed most of the cars you mentioned in the straight aways. I have worked with a shop to tune the suspension for this weeks race. I am anticipating much better times. (im making 30 more hp, new NT01 tires, and my suspension is set up right this time)

There was a cammed Z06 that blew my door off, but i've added a few things to keep up this time :p)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Also how are you going to make 450rwhp?
Give woody a call (fordstrokers.com). He is a site sponser and has build many of these motors. I would think a 331/347 with a early block/mexican block, highports/TFFAC/AFR205, Victor JR intake, and a decent sized cam would get you there pretty easy.

My 347 (Canfield heads, Holly sytemax intake, 600ish lift TLSR) put down 380 with tiny headers and the rev limiter set at 6k. Long tubes and more RPM redline should get me to 420+ no problem.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yes, Yes, Yes (the Z06 passed me though). I was eating these guys up last time. I have the full griggs GR40 racing system and roll bar with a fordstroker 347. car is 3500 with me in it and made 380 at the tires with tiny headers. I didn't have any problems keeping up and passed most of the cars you mentioned in the straight aways. I have worked with a shop to tune the suspension for this weeks race. I am anticipating much better times. (im making 30 more hp, new NT01 tires, and my suspension is set up right this time)

There was a cammed Z06 that blew my door off, but i've added a few things to keep up this time :p)
Were you in a sanctioned competitive race, or were you "racing" at a track day. There's a big difference.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Great point. this was a fun race day with drivers having different skill levels. (im pretty new)

I will be over 400whp too... but I have only half the engines you all are running
Very nice....do tell. What are you running? I have been very suprised with how well some of the 4 cyl have done keeping up with me on the straight aways. I had assumed they were turbo 4 cyl but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
289 Posts
99% they were 2.3T engines.

In stock form just by upping the boost and turning up the fuel pressure you can get around 250-300whp out of them all day long.

Mines a 'bit' more advanced then just turning up the boost, let's say that ;) haha

·
Registered
754 Posts
99% they were 2.3T engines.

In stock form just by upping the boost and turning up the fuel pressure you can get around 250-300whp out of them all day long.

Mines a 'bit' more advanced then just turning up the boost, let's say that ;) haha
boport big valve head?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just piggy backing off this important topic, what would be the reccomended parts to make a street fox handle well for cornering while just ripping through the back roads for fun? Right now My car is etup to go straight which sucks because its a street driven car.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
can a properly set up Fox Body hang with the M3's, Evo's, Vettes and Vipers on a road course???
IMHO, no.

Of course you can modify the car to the point where it's competitive with these cars in terms of lap times, but it's going to cost you a LOT of money and the end result will not be streetable.

The Fox's problems all lie at the very core of the car (power/weight ratio, front/rear weight distribution, lack of camber gain, poorly located roll centers, and chassis flex.) Fixing all of these is expensive, especially when you want to run with cars that were designed right in the first place. I'd estimate that you'd spend $8-10k on the suspension alone to get into this territory. And by tyhen your car would be closer in nature to a gutted, noisy, rough-riding race car than it would be to anything anyone would care to drive on the street for more than 5 minutes.

If so, what are some good examples of fox body's that can do this??? What's the mod list?
It's much, much more than simply a collection of parts to be installed. Getting the most out of those parts is critical and that takes both experiance and track time -- LOTS of track time.

but I'd love to be able to mod up my Fox Body and, with some good driving skills, run with some of today's high performance cars.....and ofcourse....represent fox bodies.
Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Give woody a call (fordstrokers.com). He is a site sponser and has build many of these motors. I would think a 331/347 with a early block/mexican block, highports/TFFAC/AFR205, Victor JR intake, and a decent sized cam would get you there pretty easy.

My 347 (Canfield heads, Holly sytemax intake, 600ish lift TLSR) put down 380 with tiny headers and the rev limiter set at 6k. Long tubes and more RPM redline should get me to 420+ no problem.
Are power adders not recommended for road racing? I would think that with that displacement, a centri or turbo would get you there with ease, rules notwithstanding. My guess is that the longevity of the motor is in jeopardy.

I'm sorry if I sound naive, but I'm clueless in this area.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Are power adders not recommended for road racing?
It can be done, but heat becomes a big enemy. You're going to want an intercooled setup and you have to be very carefully about your cooing setup (radiator, water pump, airflow, etc...)

My guess is that the longevity of the motor is in jeopardy.
that runs a close second.

Darius Rudis on this board has run forced induction on his open-track Mustang for as long as I can remember.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
While I still plan on driving my CP Fox uncompetitively in my region, I picked up an e36 project car from someone in my car club. It is a '93 318iS with a blow'd real good engine and a 5.0 engine/T5 powertrain. I plan on starting this swap when the weather is a bit nicer. I took advantage of the TFS TW 170 sale Summit racing had back a few months ago and have also picked up some related bits and pieces to help this project along. Once the butchery is completed, I expect the Bimmer to be a nice step up from my usual ####-heaps.

Signed, some douchebag BMW owner :)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
It is a '93 318iS with a blow'd real good engine and a 5.0 engine/T5 powertrain. I plan on starting this swap when the weather is a bit nicer.
Have you spoken with Terry Fair over at Vorschlag? Terry has developed a lot of swap kits for putting American engines into BMWs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts