Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I undertstand here in Pennsylvania, it's a $1,000 fine if your caught.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've never heard that it was illegal to carry an N2O bottle in your car. Can anyone else expound on this further?

·
Registered
113 Posts
What would the fine be for? The ability to exceed the speed limit on the flip of a switch?:D

Just pick a good hiding spot. I saw one guy who used a hollowed out Craftsman tool box to hide his bottle. To the casual observer it looked like a normal gray steel tool box. When u pulled it up, Voila! Blue Nitrous bottle. Pretty trick.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's not explosive right? So what would they fine you for. It cannot be for having a pressurized container or every litlle ricer with a fire bottle on their pillar would get fined.

·
Registered
493 Posts
In Florida, you have to have to display a sticker or else you will get fined.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Most states will fine you if you have the bottled hooked up...you can have it laying on your seat or wherever..it just can't be hooked into the nitrous system while driving on the street. As "most" (if not all) states don't allow the use of nitrous on the streets.

C

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
"Most states will fine you if you have the bottled hooked up...you can have it laying on your seat or wherever..it just can't be hooked into the nitrous system while driving on the street. As "most" (if not all) states don't allow the use of nitrous on the streets. "

Screw that! The officer has to have just cause to search a vehicle. Don't cause any trouble and you'll be ok.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Thats exactly right...

"Do you mind if I search your trunk?"

YES, I mind. What is the reason for the search?

They cannot search your trunk without just cause. And just cause is not a misdemeanor traffic offense. Felony charge gets them in there, otherwise don't give in.

joe

·
Registered
109 Posts
Didn't say you HAD to show them....just telling the law. You do what you want to do. But wouldn't it suck if you get asked about it...you say no...and the cop actually gets a warrent to search your car (they can do this over the phone now can't they).

C

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Screw cooperating with Johnny "Jack Booted" Law! They can have my nitrous when they pry it from my cold dead hands!!!!!
:joy: :evil: :joy: :evil: :joy:

·
Registered
329 Posts
as soon as you tell the officer he cant search your car that is his just cause now your hidding something and he can search the vehicle
You watch to much of the telly.

Fact is (and did just calledhe county sherrifs office to find out. I'm not talking out of my a$$), you can tell the officer that you do not wish to have your vehicle searched. They get it all the time. The Seargent I spoke with said that is a routine question and alot of people simply do not have the time to sit and have their ride searched. I asked him if that will raise suspicion enough for them to fly the "just cause" flag.
His response: "If we claim just cause without having a really, really good reason then our credibility with the county judges is shot. We will claim "just cause" when we have a sure thing. otherwise we're just crying wolf and in todays, day and age, were also risking our jobs"

Real nice polite guy who it appeared to me to be saying if you don't pi$$ me off with your cop hatin' attitude, I'm gonna let you ride on. It's like my pop always told me. Respect authority, but don't be in awe of it.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have an NX plate cover, just says "NX" and then "nitrousexpress.com", I've been pulled over maybe 2-3 times since I've had it. Cop has never said anything about it or asked to search my car. I think there are rules about transporting compressed gas vessels.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think there are also, but N2O in and of itself is not an explosive gas is it? If the laws pertain to any compressed gasses than the pep boys $19.99 fire bottles would be illegal also wouldn't they.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Couple things to think about..
1) NOS has 50 state legal kits now, CARB approved, Cant be that illegal now can it hehe.

2) N20 is not explosive

3) As for transporting compressed gases, hmm maybe, but what about Divers? The Air in their tank has over 20% Oxygen:D , speaking of which, how about LP gas powered vehicles, anyone know if they have stickers? I dont think they do but I may be wrong, that IS an explosive gas.

Oops that was 3 things.:eek:

·
Registered
221 Posts
JF99GT said:
Couple things to think about..
1) NOS has 50 state legal kits now, CARB approved, Cant be that illegal now can it hehe.
The only thing CARB has to do with, is emissions. 50 state legal doesn't mean that its legal to have nitrous in the car. There ARE states that forbid nitrous in the car on the street. Nitrous can explode, if pressure gets to be great enough in the bottle, such as, you leave the bottle heater on on accident, and there's no pressure release valve. We've all seen that picture of the guy who blew his honda's trunk up.

Larry

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am well aware that emissions legality and transport laws are different, thank you:D Which states is it illegal to transport nitrous? I hope no divers live in that state, both contain nitrogen and both contain oxygen. I really doubt it is illegal to transport it in any state. What about people on 100% Oxygen? Ive never seen a car that had warning labels on a car for that. (Im an EMT also, seen quite a bit of Oxygen). As for bottle heater problems, thats not directly the fault of the gas N20. Thats like making having cloth interiors illegal cause someone leaves a 12V portable heater on and catching the interior on fire hehe. Of course though, I dont know the law, I have to work at the local Sheriffs depart tomarrow, ill see what I can find out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts