Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re-doing my suspension and am concerned about the shape of the front sway bar. The part has over 200k miles on it. In the picture you can see how worn the area is where the mounting bushings were (was using polyurethane)
So when is it time to replace? Or do you run it till it cracks or fails?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Agreed. If it really bugs you, just grab another stock one from a junkyard or auto-xer/road racer and throw it on the car.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to find a new old stock bar. But they want $175 +$50 to ship it. To me $225 for a new stock bar seems pricy.

But since everything front to rear is new. I kinda want to replace this 20 year old part.

New setup is gonna be torque arm/ panhard bar rear. Tubular k memeber with coilovers up front and tokico d spec dampers

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Right. What I am telling you is that it is foolish to give a crap about whether or not a stock swaybar is new or used. They are not a consumable item nor are they a cosmetic one. Save that money and put it towards something important, like brake pads, tires, etc.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear ya. However after over $3k in maximum Motorsport parts. I think another $175 isn't terrible..... this way everything on the car is fresh and new. I wanted to stick with the stock bar because that was what mm recommended when we came up with spring rates ect.. . I do have there adjustable rear bar. So i should be able to get itndialed in.
Looking forward to seeing how well the new suspension can handle the 700+ hp from the 408w ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've never seen that kind of wear on a bar before - on any bar or with any bushing material. Not even on the bar I took off a car I'd had for 33 years that'd had both rubber and poly bushings. Do you have any idea how it happened (rubbing on the metal clamp, grit intrusion due to something like mild flooding, etc.)? Otherwise the $200 new bar will end up looking just like the old one.

Jack Hidley should know or at least be able to find out what the stiffness of the OE bar is, and all you really have to do is match that (within some tolerance either way). For $200 I'd be thinking aftermarket adjustable where the OE bar rate falls somewhere within the adjustments. You might even prefer a setting with slightly different stiffness, which you'd never discover with a bar that has only one endlink attachment point on each 'arm'.

Norm

·
Registered
58 Posts
Define "worn". For something simple, let's say define it in terms of the width of a number of sheets of typical 8-1/2" x 11" printer paper.
From what I see, I don't see "wear".

Imho, that bar is fine. I'd suggest that you strip it, and get it powered coated. Or, if you're really worried about wear, get it ceramic coated.

Fwiw, the stock rear sway bar is like everything else on the stock GT - it's a compromise between quarter mile performance, handling, and real-life traffic driving comfort/handling. So, in other words, it's not anything very special.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would replace the bushings and when you reinstall, check for obvious free play between the bar, bushings, and brackets. If there is any, replace the bar. That is really strange wear, but shouldn't affect the bar.

Do yourself a favor and lubricate the bushings and bar with something when you reinstall, either silicone paste or white lithium grease or something.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
They are on crack. A stock bar is worth $20, tops. What year is your car? Start trolling Craigslist.
I was going to say, the drag race guys throw those in the garbage, Hop around forums and craigslist looking for them, Free or 20 bucks like mentioned.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I hear ya. However after over $3k in maximum Motorsport parts. I think another $175 isn't terrible..... this way everything on the car is fresh and new. I wanted to stick with the stock bar because that was what mm recommended when we came up with spring rates ect.. . I do have there adjustable rear bar. So i should be able to get itndialed in.
Looking forward to seeing how well the new suspension can handle the 700+ hp from the 408w ;)
if your spending that much buy the MM front bar, better suited for a coilover car. and lighter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts