Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Mustang GT convertible, auto, traction control. Short story: crushed power distribution box attempting to remove the nut from power source stud. Went to wrecking yard. Obtained front harness from 2000 GT Convertible auto failed to check if it had TC. Installed replacement front harness. Trans goes in 2nd gear only and OD flashes. It would seem the replacement harness did not have TC.
Back to wrecking yard. Picked up two front harnesses. Another “may” have had TC and auto. Another was 2002 hardtop but did have auto, TC (and ABS). I took a picture of door tag on the original donor (2000 GT) and the 2002 GT. How does one determine if a car has TC if the console and related buttons are missing?

Anybody have what I need and confirm it’s right? Wrecking yard is AMP in Phoenix, AZ and Roger’s a good guy. He tells me the most F’d up Mustangs are ’99-’01 as there were so many design changes.

Thanks for help...want to get the car back on the road!

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
how did you replace it?

pin for pin?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No..Went to wrecking yard and they gave me a power distribution box harness and said “this is what you need”. Had shop put that on. Car starts but as I said, only 2nd gear and flashing over drive light.
I went back to the yard and they couldn’t tell me for sure if the donor car had TC. So I took a picture of the door tag. They gave me another harness from a 2002 GT auto with TC. I’m spending to much on labor to go swapping harnesses when I’m not sure I have the right parts!
FYI - Put a Bullitt intake on the car and it’s a SOB to get the harness connected in the ones between the intake manifold and the firewall.

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
then you should have had the shop, do it pin by pin

or go to ford, and check for the correct variation

the door tag, will not help

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
good luck with that.

BTW, love Anthem, we're thinking of living there

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought in Anthem Day 1 in 1999 and have lived here since. And I’ve been a Professional Realtor since 1993. Lived in the Valley since 1967. Give me a call and I will surely help you out!
Thanks,
Jeff Lee
[email protected]
602-418-9797

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
i'll keep that in mind, thanx for the offer......

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Counted pins! The issue is the TCM connector. On the male side, if Pin # 4 8 12 16 is viewed as the top...all pins are used except #12 and the one directly below #12. below it.

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
thought you had no time for that?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL! Let me clarify that....I had the mechanic take care of that. But I did hit 3 wrecking yards today now that I know what I’m looking for. The kid is at school, I’m working my butt off but somehow I need to get the kid his Mustang back...that I broke!!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found the correct harness. Not hard to find once I knew what to look for. Harness connector to TCM connector was the problem area. Once I found the proper pins to look for it was easy.
Replaced harness this morning. Then found the PCM was cooked along with the stereo head unit.
Found matching # PCM at wrecking yard. Installed and drove to Ford for re-flash. Now it will start in low gear and we know that it made it to 2nd gear. OD light flashes while CEL is off. ABS activates on low speed stop. Wipers won’t park right. I spoke to a Ford mechanic and he has an understanding of wiring issues on SN95’s. I explained the car ran perfect before the wiring issue. Kept the car there and of course it’s Christmas so next Tuesday they will run full diagnostic. More cha-ching!

·
Registered
23,232 Posts
love diagnostic cha-ching

Love to hear customers complain about their bill........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts