Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a post on turbo mustangs where a member ran 9's w/ 42lb injectors with an untuned a9l??? Its incredible an all but how the heck do some people do it?

42lbs injectors and a 9.60pass????

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a friend with a 343ci strim and he made 630rwhp on 42lb injectors and an aeromotive a1000. Completely blew my mind when I saw it dyno lol. Maybe the guy that ran 9s had really good suspension, and/or a wet shot of nitrous?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Most likely a lot of fuel pressure. Impressive though.
Yep….you basically throw an FMU on top of the 42lb injectors to jack the pressure sky high under boost. The atomization would be complete crap (something along the lines of a squirt gun here) and it would require some big fuel pumps to keep the volume up at those pressures….but it goes to show how far people push things to save a buck or two. I’d also venture to say he had some serious lightening mods and suspension work…which would greatly reduce the horsepower requirements for those ET’s.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Dont HAVE to have an FMU...high base pressure and a boost referenced FPR will work...and saying stuff like the "atomization would be crap"....well ok..so what...hes running 9's....are you with your textbook, net, interweb forum, worthy setup?

Too many people get caught up on buying cool parts to look nice on the web...build a combo that works..and dont worry about what some say needs done...most the people I see preashing 45423573986597 fuel pumps and 97987lb injectors have tons of parts and 12 second time slips.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Was the guy running 9's in a stripped out trailer queen ?
Weight goes a looooong way in dropping ET's

and I'm calling BS on the "untuned A9L" ......... a stock tune will not run a boosted motor.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Dont HAVE to have an FMU...high base pressure and a boost referenced FPR will work...and saying stuff like the "atomization would be crap"....well ok..so what...hes running 9's....are you with your textbook, net, interweb forum, worthy setup?

Too many people get caught up on buying cool parts to look nice on the web...build a combo that works..and dont worry about what some say needs done...most the people I see preashing 45423573986597 fuel pumps and 97987lb injectors have tons of parts and 12 second time slips.
Yes, you will HAVE to have an FMU. Jacking the fuel pressure will throw the tune completely out of wack causing an extreme rich condition at everything except under WOT and boost.

As for atomization being crap….well, it would be. Just because someone can run 9’s with jack up fuel pressure does not make it safe, nor ideal.

IMHO, there is nothing wrong with overdoing a fuel system. If you are running a stock block however…chances are you won’t need much more than 42-60lb injectors and a high pressure 255 in-tank fuel pump. If you plan on running 9’s and don’t want to spend the cash on the appropriate (and safe) fuel system, then shame on you.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Awesome millhouse...your the man...thanks for the insight, I respect your highly modified superior performing machine.

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
i agree with millhouse... yea it works obviously. There are guys i know running setups similar to my 98 w/ 60lb and sky high fuel pressure, so yes it works. Is it right, thats up to debate. IMHO its a band-aid for not doing it right.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Was the guy running 9's in a stripped out trailer queen ?
Weight goes a looooong way in dropping ET's

and I'm calling BS on the "untuned A9L" ......... a stock tune will not run a boosted motor.

I do believe a stock tune can run boost... is it the best? hell no but it will work, Ive been doing it for almost 2 years,no issues,no blown HG's either..

am I running 9.6 HELL no lol just a stock longblock at 12psi. MAYBE Im just lucky but Im usually NOT known for that lmao

·
4,305 Posts
Most likely a lot of fuel pressure. Impressive though.
Friend of mine made around 1000 hp with 50lb injectors. No FMU, but a ton of fuel pressure. I think at that time he was running high 9s but not 100% sure since it was so long ago.

The stock computer can run in a boosted app without a tuning aid(chip or piggy back). I did it for years and known plenty of people who have done it for years on their cars. There actually was a time when you could not get custom chips or piggy backs yet we were all still boosting our Mustangs and some of us actually were not opting to spend the big bucks on the few stand alone options back then.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Friend of mine made around 1000 hp with 50lb injectors. No FMU, but a ton of fuel pressure. I think at that time he was running high 9s but not 100% sure since it was so long ago.

The stock computer can run in a boosted app without a tuning aid(chip or piggy back). I did it for years and known plenty of people who have done it for years on their cars. There actually was a time when you could not get custom chips or piggy backs yet we were all still boosting our Mustangs and some of us actually were not opting to spend the big bucks on the few stand alone options back then.
Without a tune, how was he able to compensate at low loads for the correct AFR? Jacking the base fuel pressure is going to add a ton of fuel across the board...and one would think would foul out the plugs in no time under low loads.

·
4,305 Posts
The first person I mentioned was not with a stock computer.

The others had and have no real issues to speak of. Most of them are daily driven cars. I know the biggest issue in setting them up was getting MAF meters that were truly calibrated correctly and some had to swap meters a few times before they got one done right. It is the same basic tuning people have done with SCs for years. Set timing, figure out the right plug/gap, dial in the FP for the sized injectors you have and let the computer do the rest because really at that point you cannot do much else.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The first person I mentioned was not with a stock computer.

The others had and have no real issues to speak of. Most of them are daily driven cars. I know the biggest issue in setting them up was getting MAF meters that were truly calibrated correctly and some had to swap meters a few times before they got one done right. It is the same basic tuning people have done with SCs for years. Set timing, figure out the right plug/gap, dial in the FP for the sized injectors you have and let the computer do the rest because really at that point you cannot do much else.
Well that explains it then!

I agree with the MAF meters (I too once went down that road…..and it ran quite well without a tune). The problem I see however is 42lb injectors with matching maf meter will only get you so far until you start needing more fuel. In order to get the power needed to run 9’s (assuming they are not running ridiculously low racing weights), the fuel pressure would likely be in the 52lbs at base range (which would simulate 60lb injectors). Again, I just don’t see it happening on 42lb injectors without an FMU. Is there something else I’m overlooking?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Even if it took 52lbs of FP, I do not think that would really be a big issue when at the track. They could always jack it down for driving if it is a daily.
Good point....although even sitting at the tree idling could foul the plugs with all of that extra fuel. It would be interesting to know how they did it for sure.

·
4,305 Posts
What would be more interesting to know is why go through all the trouble when 50s or even 60s are available and will work with the stock ECU. I sold my old 50s to someone with a twin turbo car and he ran them without any tuning aids and while I do not recall any times I would think he was in the 10s since his single turbo car before that was already in the 10s.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
What would be more interesting to know is why go through all the trouble when 50s or even 60s are available and will work with the stock ECU. I sold my old 50s to someone with a twin turbo car and he ran them without any tuning aids and while I do not recall any times I would think he was in the 10s since his single turbo car before that was already in the 10s.
Agreed…..I guess it goes to show you how cheap people can be for such a big risk/small reward.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
[ There actually was a time when you could not get custom chips or piggy backs yet we were all still boosting our Mustangs and some of us actually were not opting to spend the big bucks on the few stand alone options back then.[/QUOTE]

yes this is true there was my old 89 gt with 50lb and the stock computer with a msd-6btm went 9.80-9.90 back in 97-98 the only thing we had was a crappy crane interceptor with the rev limiter set up at 7200! aaahhhhhhh those were the days of glory,,,,before the massive internet 5.0 commandos>:p

boy do i miss that car!

1 - 20 of 105 Posts