Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It won't even last 3000 miles. I have tried different radiators and they all take a crap on me. Last couple of years I've been buying ebay radiators because I don't want to spend big bucks on the good ones(fluidyne griffin) when they are going to take a crap anyway. Very stiff suspension is one cause and stock 95 gt fan's big weight doesn't help. 90 percent of the damage comes from the top neck, I guess motor vibration is a huge cause but I can't change that. So how do I mount the radiator so it last me longer?
I have tried softer mounts, looser mounts, and same results.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Are you breaking plastic ones or aluminum ones? Where and how are they failing? Anything custom or unusual about your setup? Radiators shouldn't be a consumable item unless something is wrong.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
To actually answer your question, I've got a Griffin 31x19" radiator in my Fox. Since it's thicker than the stock radiator, it wouldn't fit into the lower mounts; those had to be bent out of the way, as is often done with fatter radiators. The radiator actually sits on a piece of wood. Honestly, I don't remember why it was done that way, but the guy who built and installed the 351 for me back in the early 2000s did it and it's been that way ever since.

Up top I've got one of the typical sheet metal hold-down shrouds:

It's been like that since the early/mid-2000s.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have had good luck with the thin aluminum top mounts from Mishimoto. They replace the steel top mounts and allow the radiator to move and be more compliant.

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
The radiator really needs to be isolated from the chassis, while still being firmly mounted. Do you still have rubber under each mount? Top and bottom?

edit: I see you've tried different radiator mounts and you're still failing the upper neck. You have to ask yourself, what's transmitting so much force or vibration into that neck? Have you tried a different hose?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts