Ford Mustang Forums banner

461 - 480 of 520 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
whats up Millhouse hows the new stang doing? yeah the only way i am going to get to the 750 area is if i convert to COP's i dont think we can get it to idle that low with TFI .
When i make the jump to MS2 i will be trying to see if i can get the idle control to do what the 50* was doing. because the closed loop control on MS1 isn't too great...lol
It's going great man...the new stang rocks!

Yeah, MS1 doesn't have the best idle control...so what your left with is a work around which seem to work for "most". The COP setup did help clean things up considerably too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm working on a 89 GT using MS3 with a v3.57 PCB. I am not using an EEC-IV adapter board. Instead I gutted an old ECU, and soldered up my own harness. Went with EDIS for ignition.

The car starts and runs well. What I'm struggling to find are details on using the Ford IAC with the 3.57 PCB. Do I need an IAC mod, or no? I didn't see on on DIYAutoTune for 3.57.

Also, I'm using the TunerStudio software. There are options for the PWM IAC frequency... None of them are in the 300- 320Hz range, which seems to be the accepted range. I think the closest are 260Hz and 390Hz.

Thanks!

EDIT: Think I figured this out...
There are definitely no mods required for the 3.57 board. The Ford IAC works just fine, once you get over the completely non-intuitive settings for the MS3. I've opened an older file from MS2Extra, and the layout of the menus makes much more sense to me.

In TunerStudio Startup.Idle>>Idle Control>> Algorithm = PWM Closed-loop.
Valve mode = normal
Output Port = FIDLE
3 wire = off
Valve frequency = Use Reduced
Reduced Frequency = 130Hz

Now go to Startup/Idle >> Closed loop idle settings
Idle open Duty(%) = 55.1
Idle Valve Closed Duty (%) = 35.2
Hit Burn. hit Exit

Go back to Startup/Idle >> Idle Control
Algorithm >> PWM Warmup

Go to Startup/Idle >> Idle PWM Duty Table
Fill out the table.
0% is I supposed full closed.
100% is full open.
I think it's slewing between 35.2 and 55.1% on the pulse width. at 100%, my car is idling at ~2k RPM, but that is a function of where your throttle closed limit screw is.

Also. BE SURE TO KEY-OFF TO COMMIT. This is mostly when changing between PWM Closed-loop and PWM Warmup (open loop). I kept trying to change between the two without key-off and I don't believe it was switching until I keyed off and then back on.

What really threw me was the structuring of the menus in MS3. I'll acknowledge that I'm new, but this seems clunky.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You'll notice that it likely won't ever get to 50 (Mine didn't). If the car ever got down to the 600 RPM bin where the full 40-50 came into effect, something was wrong and it was going to stall. Regardless, my f303 setup with the auto tranny and a low 2800 stall idled PERFECT with that method at 750rpm. The guy that made my converter was in shock I could get it to idle that low with that setup! :cool:
I've asked this before in regard to very high advance in the lowest RPM column of the spark map and have never gotten an answer: at cranking rpms the engine is going to be there -won't this high advance load the c r a p out of the starter motor/battery? Not to mention the ring gear/starter loading.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I've asked this before in regard to very high advance in the lowest RPM column of the spark map and have never gotten an answer: at cranking rpms the engine is going to be there -won't this high advance load the c r a p out of the starter motor/battery? Not to mention the ring gear/starter loading.

What am I missing?
Megasquirt has a separate cranking table which you set your total timing at a set RPM (and under). So if your cranking RPM never exceeds 300, you would set it to that with your total advance number (say 10*). At 300 RPM and lower, you would be in cranking mode which would give you 10* total.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks millhouse.

Firefox keeps blocking this site, hard as h e l l to stay on long enough to type this - says "badware" on this site. WTF

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
hey i plan on buying the PNP MS2 standalone after i get my motor together, what gains would u be able to see from an all motor 5.0 using stock ECU to switching to MS2 (considering ill be at the dyno with my netbook) pretty much how much more power can i squeeze out of her just by tuning ?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
hey i plan on buying the PNP MS2 standalone after i get my motor together, what gains would u be able to see from an all motor 5.0 using stock ECU to switching to MS2 (considering ill be at the dyno with my netbook) pretty much how much more power can i squeeze out of her just by tuning ?
That is going to depend completely on your tuning ability. For a completely stock engine, I would say you won't see a ton in terms of performance gain, but where any standalone shines over a stock ECU is flexibility to adapt to future mods.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello guys!

I have finished my turbobuild now..

My spec are:

302cui
Stock cam
42 lbs injectors
edelbrock intake and heads
75mm throttlebody
T70 turbo
Innovative LC-1 wideband
MSD6-AL2

Can anybody help me with a base tune so I can get this thing to idle!

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Go back to post #454. Download that map, set your engine CI and injector size.
Should get an idle I would think

·
Registered
123 Posts
I will try that!

What sould the settings be when running a MSD box?

I see at diyautotune that I should set
Maximum Spark Duration to '25.5'
and
Maximum Dwell Duration to '25.5'

This can't be done in Tunerstudio
Max value is 8

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I will try that!

What sould the settings be when running a MSD box?

I see at diyautotune that I should set
Maximum Spark Duration to '25.5'
and
Maximum Dwell Duration to '25.5'

This can't be done in Tunerstudio
Max value is 8
You only use those quirky values if you're running the B&G code. If you're running ms2extra (which imo you should be), then set the dwell type to fixed duty, and set the dwell duty to 50%.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
The more mods, the more you're likely to gain. We picked up around 4-5 hp on a test car that had GT40P heads and some basic bolt ons. A stocker may gain less, something with a wild cam and more radical heads would gain more.

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
guys im fascinated by this system, but im scared that im not equipt with the brainpower to tune the thing! ive got a 93 coupe with a 347 twisted wedge heads, systemax intake, 42#er's, and an sc trim which will be making 10-12#'s. i think having a system with these capabilities would be awesome, but im just afraid i wont be able to do anything with it...

a local tuner priced a tune for me including the chip for $500.00, if this isnt as difficult as it looks, maybe my money is better spent on this. i dunno.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Perhaps you should start reading all the threads about MS and see if it is something you want to tackle. There's others who have simular set ups that will share a tune with you.
Your chip will be a one time tune. What will you do when you want to change your setup a little? Pay another $500 is what you will need to do.
Thats also fine for many people.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2.3T

Hey guys,
Newbie here. I am trying to tackle a project and I am not sure what my best options are. I am sure that it has already been talked about but I have a couple of Q's.

My project is a 76 ford courier. I am going to put the 2.3T from a TC in it. After hearing about MS I was thinking that I should just use that instead of the stock wiring/ECU. That could make the install cleaner and easier? Any advice facts and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

Tyler

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
guys im fascinated by this system, but im scared that im not equipt with the brainpower to tune the thing! ive got a 93 coupe with a 347 twisted wedge heads, systemax intake, 42#er's, and an sc trim which will be making 10-12#'s. i think having a system with these capabilities would be awesome, but im just afraid i wont be able to do anything with it...

a local tuner priced a tune for me including the chip for $500.00, if this isnt as difficult as it looks, maybe my money is better spent on this. i dunno.
I have a similar setup as you running 42lbers /TFS H/I/Stage one Cam and a t-67 turbo running around 7-10lbs of boost on MS2 extra and if you get MS i will share my tune with you to help you get started. And if you post logs here the guys from DIYAUTOTUNE and other corral members like myself can help you fine tune it as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
couple questions

1.) what can be done with mega squirt with a 85 cfi?

2.) If I swapped Motors into the 85, say it was a 97 explorer motor what would I need to run it? With megasquirt.

461 - 480 of 520 Posts