Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 520 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off thanks to Chris for creating this forum!

This is Jerry Hoffmann a.k.a. 'FoundSoul' from DIYAutoTune.com. We offer DIY Standalone Engine Management Systems and accessories including wideband systems, wiring harnesses, etc.

I've had several Mustang owners buy and install my systems on NA, supercharged and turbocharged Mustangs, that I know of from model years 87 thru 03. Basically the MegaSquirt will give you full fuel and ignition control for a fraction of the price of ANY of the 'big name' standalone EMS systems out there. And that fraction is anywhere from 1/4 to 1/10 of the cost depending on the system you choose and if you choose to build it yourself or have us build it up for you (we keep assembled units stocked and ready to ship of course).

The great news is that many model years of the Mustang are pretty easy to work with. We can easily take control of the stock fuel and ignition systems on the 86-95 5.0 liter cars. These use a Ford TFI ignition system that the MegaSquirt-I or II can easily take control of and fire, giving you full control of your fuel and ignition curves. No piggybacks here, just full control.

The 96-98 4.6l cars are a little different. They have a 36-1 crank wheel and VR sensor suitable for use with the Ford EDIS module, they just don't come with the module as it's internal to the EEC. So add the EDIS-8 module and a MegaSquirt to control it and whalla! Full Control of fuel and ignition.

The 99-04 4.6l cars are all Coil on Plug. This has also been run with an EDIS module as stated above. I'm still gathering more info on this and I'll keep this thread and the 'How to Megasquirt your Mustang' page on my site fresh with this updated information.

I'm here to work with you guys to make this system work for you; which has been done MANY times on MANY Mustangs, buts it's never been documented very thoroughly. Right now I'm focusing on documenting all of the wiring and requirements for setting your rides up with this unit to make this as clear as possible. As such you'll see the documentation coming together with updates on a near daily basis over the coming days/weeks. Stay tuned!

How to MegaSquirt your Mustang

Have a Fox 5.0 car and just want to plug it in and go? Check out the MSPNP!

Other resources---

DIYAutoTune.com FAQ

More MegaSquirt Information -- FAQ / Manual / Support Forums

·
Registered
469 Posts
Jerry - I know you will be hearing from me. I've got the power supply and serial com complete, just waiting on the weekend to start back up building the board. I look forward to becoming an MS success story.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool Mike-- let me know if there's anything I can do to assist. That doc will continue to be developed. I'm looking to further document the minor mods next as well as how to avoid the MSD box if you prefer.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd suggest reading the MegaManual from cover to cover, just skimming the assembly section. Then since you are especially interested in the MS2 read the MS2 section of the MegaManual of course. (it's broken out from the main manual at www.megasquirt.info). This will give you ALOT of good information on how to plan for assembly (if you assemble it yourself), wiring, configuration and tuning.

With the MS2 you don't need a spark box such as an MSD 6a unless you want to go that route. It's pretty easy to send the spark output straight back to the TFI module on the 86-95 cars and on the 96-98 you're using EDIS which you're also driving directly without a MSD box in all cases. Same goes for 99-04 if you use EDIS to drive the COPs.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not too familiar with the Explorer but I'm going to take a wild guess that it runs the Ford EDIS distributorless system? If so the MegaSquirt-II loves that thing... Just mount the 36-1 wheel and VR sensor (later Mustangs already have this), wire up the module to the coil pack and the MS-II and start tuning!

http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/

http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/EDIS.htm

·
Registered
469 Posts
Jerry - I'm already running the MSD6A, and have the page from the MSEFI site here -

http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/msd6a.htm

I really can't see any reason not to use it.

Is there any help you need with the documentation of a 94/95 install? It seems like I had a line on a couple of guys at the turbo mustang site that had done them, but the site recently got overhauled and my links don't work anymore.

·
Registered
469 Posts
One thing I would say to anyone looking into this system - the most knowledgable people that work with the Megasquirt are incredibly helpful. I know I have asked some silly questions since I started this project, and I have gotten very patient answers to every inquiry. Just to compare, I have a Tweecer as well. On the Tweecer boards, it is not uncommon for a new user to be ignored or chastised for asking what a more advanced user feels is a basic question. It makes me reluctant to jump in to using the tweecer more because it really seems you can't depend on help.

Also, don't be put off by the "build it yourself" aspect of the MS. The instructions are step by step simple, and the developers cover every aspect and possible pitfall in the documentaion.

If the install end gets covered, I don't see why anyone would purchase any other type of stand alone. This thing is going to have a serious impact on the stand alone market, and probably on the piggy back controllers as well.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just bought my megasquirt, wideband O2 and harness yesterday. I'm putting it on my 88 GT at the same time as my twin turbos. I am VERRYY happy to see this forum go up! I also look foreward to being a MS success story.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Catfish said:
Jerry - I'm already running the MSD6A, and have the page from the MSEFI site here -

http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/msd6a.htm

I really can't see any reason not to use it.

Is there any help you need with the documentation of a 94/95 install? It seems like I had a line on a couple of guys at the turbo mustang site that had done them, but the site recently got overhauled and my links don't work anymore.
The MSD 6a is a great unit and will give you a nice hot spark... I'm actually going to look into carrying their products for just this purpose, I just don't want people to be 'forced' to buy one. I try to keep people's options open and keep things as affordable as possible. If you've got one or want a hotter spark than the stock system provides then go for it! Either way we can make it work though.

As for help on the 94-95 docs that would be welcome. I'm kindof playing 'project manager' and 'editor' on much of this just trying to get all of the right information together in one place. If you or someone you know would like to assist just let me know!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Catfish said:
One thing I would say to anyone looking into this system - the most knowledgable people that work with the Megasquirt are incredibly helpful. I know I have asked some silly questions since I started this project, and I have gotten very patient answers to every inquiry. Just to compare, I have a Tweecer as well. On the Tweecer boards, it is not uncommon for a new user to be ignored or chastised for asking what a more advanced user feels is a basic question. It makes me reluctant to jump in to using the tweecer more because it really seems you can't depend on help.
I agree 100%. The guys on the MS forums are AWESOME! Granted... Since the basis of this is of a DIY nature if they can tell you are expecting them to answer of your questions and do all of your homework for you then you'll sometimes not get much of a response, though sometimes you will anyways (I try to help out when I notice these, even if the answer is 'go read this and come back'). But if the guys see that you've done your homework and read up a bit they will bend way the heck over backwards to make sure you're install is successful, and not only that, they'll help you make your MegaSquirt do crazy things it was never designed to do in the first place. That board is a class act.

Catfish said:
Also, don't be put off by the "build it yourself" aspect of the MS. The instructions are step by step simple, and the developers cover every aspect and possible pitfall in the documentaion.
Also agreed-- it's basically 'Electronics Assembly by Numbers' when you use a nicely labeled kit. I even measure the holes on the PCB to tell you how far apart to bend them to make them drop right in and fit just right the first time, and I offer the tool to bend them to the right measurements. Anybody with a bit of patience and mechanical ability CAN do this. If you'd prefer not to I've got plenty ready to ship assembled as well.

Catfish said:
If the install end gets covered, I don't see why anyone would purchase any other type of stand alone. This thing is going to have a serious impact on the stand alone market, and probably on the piggy back controllers as well.
Workin on it ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Very nice Jerry it's about sometime someone organized the information about Mustangs and Megasquirt cause there is a ton out there but spread around. I have a lot of links and pictures documenting my install I'll need to send you sometime.

Also I reccomend ordering from Jerry cause not only did he send me my kit right away but when i ran into problems he was the first guy to answer my question on the Megasquirt forums can't beat that kinda customer service!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sweet! I am just around the corner from ordering my MS, and LC-1 for my 95 Cobra...glad to see it's getting some more attention and information out!

·
Registered
90 Posts
i'm going to MS mine :)

decided i'm gonna do fuel first and run spark of my mallory dual point, then once fuels mapped i'm gonna fit EDIS and hook that into the MS

i haven't got any of the OEM FI parts so to keep things simple i'm going to fit a carb inlet and use a autonomics throttle body with its 4 injectors.
i've also decided to get a LC-3 WB controller for tuning, looking forward to starting it! just gotta get the motor in ;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tuning the MS-II is about a user friendly as any EMS ever could be really... the software is great to work with-- laid out really well. Everything is documented well in the MegaManual and in the MegaTune help files, and the msefi.com forums are an endless source of information.

Does your MSD distributor use the factory TFI module still? Or a replacement 'hotter' module, but with the same wiring? If so then you shouldn't have any problem using it with the MS-II. I've known of people to fire MSD boxes all day long with the MS-II but not a Mallory yet, although I can't imagine it being a problem. Same principles apply....

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'm putting together a 351w with p&p 302 heads, x303 cam, stock crank/rods, forged pistons and a pro-products fi intake. I don't want to list everything, too much time. I plan on retaining the factory eec for gauges and cruise.

Should I eliminate my narrowband o2 sensors and replace them with widebands that I can tie into ms? With the widebands tied into ms, could i also tie those into cluster mounted a/f gauges?

I would like to tie ms into my factory tfi module but eventually tie it into a mallory box with the tfi.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
220 Posts
FoundSoul said:
Tuning the MS-II is about a user friendly as any EMS ever could be really... the software is great to work with-- laid out really well. Everything is documented well in the MegaManual and in the MegaTune help files, and the msefi.com forums are an endless source of information.

Does your MSD distributor use the factory TFI module still? Or a replacement 'hotter' module, but with the same wiring? If so then you shouldn't have any problem using it with the MS-II. I've known of people to fire MSD boxes all day long with the MS-II but not a Mallory yet, although I can't imagine it being a problem. Same principles apply....

The TFI is stock because the Digital Hyfire is supplying the hotter spark.

How hard to get it up and running (engine).

I want to use the MS II.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
talladam said:
Should I eliminate my narrowband o2 sensors and replace them with widebands that I can tie into ms? With the widebands tied into ms, could i also tie those into cluster mounted a/f gauges?
That's what I would do-- you can do a single or dual widebands. The best setup would be using a MegaSquirt-II with dual Innovate LC-1 widebands and dual exhaust. You'd wire each side of the engine up as a bank of injectors and each bank would have it's own wideband for individual EGO correction, that way if one bank for some reason runs a bit lean it doesn't correct both banks with more fuel, just the one that needs it. You can then use the second analog output from the widebands to drive dash mount gauges so you can monitor the AFR in realtime, you might be happy with just monitoring one bank in realtime, but you can setup dual gauges and monitor both if you like.

talladam said:
I would like to tie ms into my factory tfi module but eventually tie it into a mallory box with the tfi.

Thanks,
Adam
Not a problem at all.... Assuming the Mallory box triggers much like the MSD 6a which I'm sure it does then you can start off letting the MS fire the TFI module directly and then put the Mallory box in the middle at a later date.

1 - 20 of 520 Posts