Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone sell any easily removable baffles or similar that significantly cuts down exhaust noise that can be taken in and out of exhaust tips?

I live in a suburban neighborhood and nobody has said anything but I get the feeling that my car is a bit too loud for their tastes.

The current exhaust is 1-5/8" long tubes, off road H pipe, flowmaster 40 series catback with tips out the back. It was loud before but it is even louder with the new heads and cam.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Im not sure just how feasible it is but I put the vibrant 1142 ultra quiet resonators on my 02 harley truck and it quieted it down significantly. It was enough so that I was able to remove all 8 mufflers I had on it and put two of the largest flowmaster super 50 deltas on it and although its still loud its manageable now. At least now I dont get pulled over.

Im not sure if that helps you any but I wouldnt hesitate to try those resonators out.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking for something that I can stop and put in and out in a parking lot a mile or two down the road from my neighborhood to not annoy the neighbors especially if I am coming home late after an event or something.

This car is a weekend car, not a daily driver but a lot of my neighbors are 50+ years old and I don't want to cause any trouble with them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would look for some mini glass pack or motor cycles muffler that you can slide in the tips. They make header baffles that might be easier to find and fit. A tin can with a few holes drilled in it might do.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
What size tailpipes?

I bought a set of inserts that slide in my 3" tailpipes. Did take the bark out. I think Borla made them??

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
I live in a similar type of neighborhood. It's one of the reasons why i spent money on a catted X pipe. Also debating changing out my mufflers (currently have flowmaster 40's) as i have a new set of heads and cam going in and don't want it to be too loud. Right now i usually wait til at least 9AM to take my car for a ride, and am usually lugging out of the neighborhood in 2nd or 3rd gear.

I don't need every single HP on a car i mostly just cruise in so i'm ok with a quieter car if it costs a few HP

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
That all sounds like a lot of hassle. Make it so the car isn't louder than the law allows in VA and then just run it that way. If/when someone complains, you're not too loud by the law.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That all sounds like a lot of hassle. Make it so the car isn't louder than the law allows in VA and then just run it that way. If/when someone complains, you're not too loud by the law.
The homeowners association doesn't care about local laws they just make up their own.

·
Registered
439 Posts
This sounds like an ideal use case for electric cutouts - add a new restrictive muffler that the cutouts direct flow through. Then when you "need" it louder, open the cutouts, they bypass the new mufflers and go straight to the Flowmasters.

I've lived in neighborhoods where idiots on straight-piped Harleys go roaring down the road at 5am, or diesel trucks go rolling coal for fun, or where kids in Hondas rip around with fart can exhausts. Nobody likes that guy, don't be that guy.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
I just turn the engine off...

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I have Bassani inserts, not Borla. It looks like they still sell them separately.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
HOA is a joke. I understand why they're there, however after living in a neighborhood that had one, it will NEVER happen again (ever). I will be homeless before I ever become part of another POA or HOA. And yes I've been homeless so I know what it's like.

If you have complainy neighbors, move. Or permanently install quieter exhaust on the car which you will likely enjoy more anyway-especially as you age; speaking from experience. Even if you're able to rig up something to temporarily install on the way home, that too will get old after while and there's a probability that you'll likely eventually find yourself exploring one of the two aforementioned solutions.

"Neighbors" meaning 1/4 mile down the road we live on. Still about a mile too close if you ask me. Even though nobody gripes about noise out here, I still put quieter exhaust on the Mustang because I drive my stuff and the days of loud pipes are over. It's much more enjoyable to drive to work now.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts