Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10.8:1 331 that I had planned to keep NA, but as luck would have it I couldn't help but buy a twin turbo kit which I plan to install. I'm in California so everything has to be smog legal.

I don't believe any of the aftermarket engine management systems are CARB approved, so I'll have to stick with my EEC-IV and a chip.
I have used MQH before, and have no problem entering variables, installing the card, and measuring to make sure everything runs properly. My question is the next step: when I am happy with the tune, how do I get that tune burned to a permanent chip?

·
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
use the jaybird to write to a F3 chip
Thanks,

Do you know if the QH can be used to tune a turbo? (I don't know enough about it to know whether that question even makes sense.)

I'd need QH, BE, Jaybird, and F3 chip, a wideband sensor... anything else?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Thanks,

Do you know if the QH can be used to tune a turbo? (I don't know enough about it to know whether that question even makes sense.)

I'd need QH, BE, Jaybird, and F3 chip, a wideband sensor... anything else?
I have a F3 chip for sale under Electronics in this forum. I also have a new Jaybird but it may be spoken for.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If you don't want to buy a jaybird PM dechipa at his site efidynotuning. he will burn a chip and mail it to you. I would just leave the QH on the eec. Ive had mine on since 2008. Same battery and I live where its cold with the car stored in a trailer.

·
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't want to buy a jaybird PM dechipa at his site efidynotuning. he will burn a chip and mail it to you. I would just leave the QH on the eec. Ive had mine on since 2008. Same battery and I live where its cold with the car stored in a trailer.
If, one day, you try to start your car, and it has fuel and spark and the starter keeps cranking but the engine won't fire, it will probably be the QH's dead battery. Just trying to save you some time.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
it won't have fuel with an inactive ECM

only spark, as spark is made by the ICM, independent of the ECM

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
My car would start and barely run when the QH battery died. I'm guessing the computer reverts back to the factory tune or goes into limp mode?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have a 10.8:1 331 that I had planned to keep NA, but as luck would have it I couldn't help but buy a twin turbo kit which I plan to install. I'm in California so everything has to be smog legal.

I don't believe any of the aftermarket engine management systems are CARB approved, so I'll have to stick with my EEC-IV and a chip.
I have used MQH before, and have no problem entering variables, installing the card, and measuring to make sure everything runs properly. My question is the next step: when I am happy with the tune, how do I get that tune burned to a permanent chip?
is any aftermarket chip CARB legal?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts

is any aftermarket chip CARB legal?
I don't believe a chip is detectable in a state inspection.

·
11,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The smog guys don't look for a chip so I'm not going to sweat that afterall.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
if the tune is corrupt (or qh battery dies on older QHs) the ecu is hardwired to fire the injectors when a crank signal PIP is received. Its a hardware safety for fail-safe that henry designed into the ecu hardware. If you have larger injectors that flow more fuel than stock with a much lower offset than stock it can cause some seriously dangerously rich conditions.

The moates quarterhorse is a realtime programmer for the EEC's used up to 04 in most fords. Its the only way to properly tune an EEC and the realtime tuning and datalogging is much better than most aftermarket ECU's as well.

I recommend reading this:

https://www.efidynotuning.com/started.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts