Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car pulls very well up top, but down low it's a dog, I have 4.10's and other little things, but what can I get to get some more tq outta the engine?? thanks!

P.S. went to the track last night... first time!!!
best run was a 14.58 at 99mph with a 2.3 60', my tires are hard pieces of crap adn those will be the first things I get (nitto drags), and it was in AZ and is pretty hot right now. anyways thanks alot!

and a buddy just got a eec-tuner for his car, would somethign like that benefit me?? thanks!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Cams

·
Registered
157 Posts
With staying NA, you're never gonna see big bottom-end grunt out of the 4-valve engine. It is designed to produce horsepower by spinning to 7000 rpm. To do that, it gives up low-end torque. But that is not a bad thing. The trick is to drive it so you stay in the horsepower band... 4500 rpm -> 7000 rpm.

What you can't do is be lazy with the shifter. You can't just nail it in 4th gear at 2500 rpm and expect anything to happen. Horsepower is the key to going fast, not torque. But you must keep the engine in its horsepower band, and that means a lot more shifting. The only place torque really helps is in the first 20 feet of the drag strip, when you don't need to rev the snot out of the engine and then slip the clutch to keep it from bogging.

It is easy to drive a big torque motor... it takes more skill to properly drive an engine like the 4-valve.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
After looking at your sig. my suggestion would be a steeda timing adjuster. Everyone i have talked to that has one says it gives a nice shot of torque down low. Only catch is that you gotta anty-up for premium gas. Hope that helps

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
as stated above you're not going to get alot of low end out of these motors...however a timing adjust set at 14* does give a very noticable difference low end and mid range.

·
Registered
387 Posts
steve97Cobra said:
It is easy to drive a big torque motor... it takes more skill to properly drive an engine like the 4-valve.
??? Its a lot harder to hook up a car making a lot of torque than one that doesn't (given equivalent suspensions). You can't just mash the gas and go as you'll only incinerate the tires. And since its a lot harder to break the tires loose on a 2-3 shift (high in the rpms where the 4V is breathing and making good power) than it is off of the line, I'm not really sure what this comment means...

Still, a Steeda T/A is a great mod and a lot of guys have seen decent torque out of L/T headers, which has always surprised me.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Aaron 4.6 said:

??? Its a lot harder to hook up a car making a lot of torque than one that doesn't (given equivalent suspensions). You can't just mash the gas and go as you'll only incinerate the tires. And since its a lot harder to break the tires loose on a 2-3 shift (high in the rpms where the 4V is breathing and making good power) than it is off of the line, I'm not really sure what this comment means...

Still, a Steeda T/A is a great mod and a lot of guys have seen decent torque out of L/T headers, which has always surprised me.
It's true that it's easier to light up the tires. But i took my friends 88 GT with bolt ons down the track...I bogged off the line big time and the car just immidiately picked itself right back up and pulled hard like as if it never bogged down. If you bog in a DOHC you're basically gonna get past by a street sweeper until the rpm's start getting up there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts