Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i'm trying to run 275's out back and have had them on for about 6 months. They rub pretty bad with people in the car or going over driveways etc.

I know I can work with the quads (reverse them) to get a bit of clearance but I think the main problem is with the edge of the tires rubbing on the wheel wheel fender.

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just put 275's on. I had to roll the fender, flip the quad shocks, cut off the tailpipes (dumps), hammer the inner fender and add 5/16 wheel spacers. So far it hasn't rubbed since all this (I don't run with many passengers since I removed the back seat).

·
Registered
11 Posts
How did you roll the fenderwell lip? I am afraid I will screw up my paint or something. I want to do this so I can run a wider tire so any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Probably the best way to roll them is to carefully cut several slits into the fender lip in sections about 8-10" or so, without cutting so far as to cut through the outside of the fender. Once you've done this, take a wooden bat or other similar object that won't be damaging to the paint and place it between the tire and the fender lip and pry upwards as to push the section upwards. You might have to jack up the rear end so there isn't a big gap between the tire and the fender lip.....use your best judgement as to how far you have to go in order to get good contact with the fender lip.

Start from one end of the section working your way to the other, with slight prying movements until the whole section is completely "rolled" upward.
*Be careful when you cut the sections so you don't chip the paint. I would recommend using a sawzall with a fine tooth blade.
Someonelse may have a better suggestion, but I found that this worked for me. When I tried it without cutting sections, I cracked the paint as I was rolling the lip. Another way is to use a heating gun to soften the paint so it won't crack.
Good luck! By the way, I read that the quad shocks really don't do much and that you really don't need them. I removed mine completely. I talked with Griggs Racing, and they too remove their quad shocks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will try that, thx. I have not ran my quad shocks since I replaced my control arms. If you put a decent set of lowers on you can take them off with no worries about wheel hop.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See, even rolling the fender I dont think will help my problem to be honest. I'm damn sure its rubbing on the very outside edge of the fender. I HOPE we are talking about the same spot, I mean the edge on the outside of the car right about the tire? That's what I'm rubbing on. If you look directly over the tire it still sticks way out, maybe enough to stick outside the fender. No wheel spacers that I know of (I'm sure the shop that put on the tires would have charged me.

I guess what I need is something so it doesnt flex so much (go up and down) when I go over bumps, up driveways etc. Will a stiff set of shocks do this? I can tell when its rubbing on the quad shocks which is very rare and when its somethin else. The bottom of the fender always has this chalky crap on it and the outside edge of the tire is getting worn away quickly

I'll put up some pictures tomorrow to try and show my problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine dont rub anymore, now that i rolled the lip, but then again with the rollbar, i hardly ever have anyone in the back seat. It does depend on the offset of your rims though. I have the longer '95 axles that came with the m2300 kit, so I used the larger backspace Ford cobra rim (17x9). I did not have to move the quad shock, but I borrowed a fender roller from a nearby race shop. It is an awesome tool, just bolt it onto the axle and tighten the thumbscrew and work it back and forth until the lip is where you want it. If you can get ahold of one, it is definately worth it, as I was able to get the proper clearance without cracking the paint, or cutting anything and creating future rust problems, and retaining a very factory fender look.

·
Registered
911 Posts
its deffinately the fender lip that needs rolled. it goes back into the fender well about 1-1.5", this is the part that hits your tire, trust me. i highly recommend NOT pounding the lip or trying to roll with a bat. some have had good experience but most ruin & distort thier fenders causing uneven fender lip & paint chipping! you can rent a fender roller lip tool from tire rack, this is the same tool that CA88V8 mentioned. this tool makes a nice even, clean roll inside the fender.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i had the same problem with my 275's... i went the cleaner route, i just had the lip cut off... i didnt think there was anyway to do it without cracking the paiint. mind u it still rubs when cornering very hard going up an incline... but a new set of shocks might help that.

·
Registered
911 Posts
if you donr mind the rear of your car sitting higher you can always get a set of adjustable lower control arms. ones that allow adjustment of the lower spring perch. then you can raise the vehicle to a heighth that doesnt allow rubbing, just athought. plus the benefits of good LCA's is worht the time & money to install a set!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mygt8a4re said:
if you donr mind the rear of your car sitting higher you can always get a set of adjustable lower control arms. ones that allow adjustment of the lower spring perch. then you can raise the vehicle to a heighth that doesnt allow rubbing, just athought. plus the benefits of good LCA's is worht the time & money to install a set!
It sits amazingly high already :(

Hm, how much does a fender rolling tool cost? Cutting them off might not hurt either really, except wouldn't it create a sharp edge that could pierce the tire?

·
Registered
911 Posts
what type of wheels do you have? what size & offset are they? are they sticking out that far past that actual fender lip?

i cant remember the price of the rolling tool off hand, its not very much though. this tool allows you to roll in increments, a little at a time to get a good, smooth transition so the paint wont chip. cutting the lip may cause chipping. call tire rack up & speak with one of the sales reps, theyre very helpful & can answer those questions, just dont get impatient & go banging or cutting, you'll be mad you didnt do the right thing!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I messed my paint up when I rolled the fender (got pissed and reverted to a ball-peen hammer). I asked a mechanic at work about it, and here is the technique he told me. Compress the rear suspension as far as possible (2or 3 guys on the trunk), put the car in gear and roll a bat between the wheel and fender lifting upwards. I have never seen this done but he claims this will roll the fender w/o cracking the paint.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mygt8a4re said:
what type of wheels do you have? what size & offset are they? are they sticking out that far past that actual fender lip?

i cant remember the price of the rolling tool off hand, its not very much though. this tool allows you to roll in increments, a little at a time to get a good, smooth transition so the paint wont chip. cutting the lip may cause chipping. call tire rack up & speak with one of the sales reps, theyre very helpful & can answer those questions, just dont get impatient & go banging or cutting, you'll be mad you didnt do the right thing!
They are 17x9 4 lug cobra R's, offset unknown sorry :(

·
Registered
911 Posts
if they are 17x9 cobra r's then they have a 24mm offset. ok, now i know its the lip inside the fender that hits the tire. rent that fender rolling tool i told you about. it is the most practical way to roll the fenders w/o damage. no guessing, hooks right to your rear drum/lugs & gets rotated in a perfect cirlce, in the radius direction the tire rotates. the tool allows adjustments to roll a little at a time untill the right amount is rolled. very neat & clean rolling process................

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
mygt8a4re said:
if they are 17x9 cobra r's then they have a 24mm offset. ok, now i know its the lip inside the fender that hits the tire. rent that fender rolling tool i told you about. it is the most practical way to roll the fenders w/o damage. no guessing, hooks right to your rear drum/lugs & gets rotated in a perfect cirlce, in the radius direction the tire rotates. the tool allows adjustments to roll a little at a time untill the right amount is rolled. very neat & clean rolling process................
Thanks alot for the info, I really appreciate it. Anyplace thats maybe a national chain that you suggest to rent it? Does it have an official name? :cool:

·
Registered
911 Posts
tirerack is the only company i am aware of that rents it out. i just refer to it as the "fender roll tool". 1-888-522-8473

1 - 17 of 17 Posts