Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading on here about one or two of you guys that have done this. I want to make it so that I can go WOT in 1st gear and not have my nitrous spray when the system is armed. I feel that now the setup is costing me time... because I either A-can't go WOT in 1st or it will spray, meaning I use say 75% throttle which costs me on the launch or B-I have to worry about arming the system when I shift from 1st to 2nd which is a pain when you are concentrating on driving your best. Anyway how do you go about rigging it so that 1st is deleted from nitrous use at WOT? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
This Controler will let you do a little better than that esp. if your looking for quicker and more consistant times.

Eric

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've been wondering this as well.
My friend used to have a fox bodied 5.0 with nitrous and he had it wired up to where it wasn't a WOT activated system. He had his arming switch, which he turned on, then he had his actual nitrous button on his shifter ball. So he could go at WOT and not worry about nitrous flowing without his finger on the button. I was thinking of trying a setup like this.

·
Registered
233 Posts
if worse came to worse, you could just hit the switch in second gear. :D

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah hitting the switch after 1st is the only real solution right now anyway, but that is a pain and it takes away from you focusing 100% on your run. I like the look of the stuff on that link Stedda, but to be honest I'm not really looking to spend more money on the setup. I know for a fact that a few people on here have deleted 1st somehow... hopefully they will chime in =P

·
Registered
180 Posts
Do you spin that bad in 1st. b/c I run the 5171 and Nt555r 315/35-17's and I can use mine in 1st.

·
Registered
765 Posts
madmike said:
Just get some damn tires and spray it outta the hole! :D You do wanna go faster don't you?

Mike

That's what I'm thinking. I leave on the bottle on a 150 shot on E.T. Streets and my 60's stay in the 1.62-1.8 range.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I get spin/hop... I dunno maybe I should play with it more and see what happens.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You could try attaching a limit switch to you shifter such that wehn the shifter was in first gear it would make contact with the switch. You would have to fasten right to the shifter in the first gear location, but I am sure that it can be done.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
What you need is a momentary switch which OPENS the circuit when the pushbutton is depresses. You run this switch in series with the WOT switch. You will need to make some stiff brackets so that when the shifter in in first gear, the pushbutton is depressed, an hen it's in third, it's not depressed. Also, you can run a two pole switch in between the WOT switch and the kill switch, so you could turn the kill switch on and off depending on what tires you are running, and whether you want to spray it in first.

·
Registered
568 Posts
madmike said:
Just get some damn tires and spray it outta the hole! :D You do wanna go faster don't you?

Mike
Exactly :D I launch 5k on the soray. End result, 1.55 60 ft on stock from the factory suspension on e.t. drags :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doesn't spraying out of the hole increase your chances of breaking something and put extra stress on the tranny?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Immortality said:
Doesn't spraying out of the hole increase your chances of breaking something and put extra stress on the tranny?
Of course it does. But if you're worried about that then maybe you should find another hobby, like Chess. :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
Immortality said:
Doesn't running nitrous period increase your chances of breaking something with all the stress on the motor and the tranny anyways with the added hp and torque??? :rolleyes: By running a power adder you're gonna put more stress on your car regardless. If it breaks, it needed to be upgraded anyways :D

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'm the guy that made a 1st gear lockout for my nitrous kit. I had a guy at work fab a bracket that held a microswitch onto my Pro 5.0 shifter. When the shifter was in first gear, it tripped the switch (which was wired as normally closed) and thus opened the nitrous control circuit. It worked flawlessly and fit inside the leather shifter boot so it was very stealthy. Mmmm... perhaps I should fab a couple and add them to my NinoSport line of products??? How many people would be interested???

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maybe you should stop worrying about fancy little switches and ghey lock out thingies and learn how to actually drive your car with what you have on it. Yeah that switch is a good idea but it is just more sh*t to go wrong. Or you could just get a progressive controller. But hey I shouldn't complain about this post at least it has something to do with tech on a mod motor...I guess. It still better then the posts saying "Show Me Your Body Kit" or "post your exhaust sound clips" or even better " Vobra questions" or "where can I put my guages so I can look like a jack ass ricer"!!!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Immortality:

I had the same damn problem. Hence my track times! That was until I relocated my arming switch right next to my steering wheel. This makes it much easier to hit it right after the 1st to 2nd shift. I can actually hook up in 1st sometimes with the juice now that my window switch is installed. But next time I go to the track, I'll be hitting it in 2nd on only. Good luck.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Project Pat, your reply was 100% negative and worthless, hence it was not necessary. I could "learn to drive" by spraying in 1st, but it's not something that I want to do because I feel that it puts more stress on the car than if I just went WOT without the juice in 1st, then sprayed in 2-4. I can probably also cut my tire cost in half without spraying in 1st, which is fine by me. Thanks to everyone else that actually added to this thread with useful info and insight and Nino - if you have any more info about the wiring of that switch it would be useful. 99 perhaps I will consider relocating my arming switch to a place more friendly for the 1-2 shift. Thx!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts