Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey there,
I'm new to this stand-alone EMS stuff. I have some questions about the DIYPNP F60 system for 94/95 5.0s (specifically a 1994 Cobra 5.0):

How does this system compare to a Moates QH, or say, Tweecer regarding ease of use, and what would be best to learn DIY tuning with?

Does the DIYPNP keep the stock dash gauges working (such as the tach)?

Do I need fan control for a stock electric fan?

How does the 94/95 harness wiring compare to a 88-93 fox?

I have 2 LC-2 Wideband kits (one for each bank), where would I wire both into the DIYPNP mainboard?

Sorry for all the questions, but before I invest in a system, I'd like to know everything about it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hey there,
I'm new to this stand-alone EMS stuff. I have some questions about the DIYPNP F60 system for 94/95 5.0s (specifically a 1994 Cobra 5.0):

How does this system compare to a Moates QH, or say, Tweecer regarding ease of use, and what would be best to learn DIY tuning with?
The interface is a bit different. The MS2 was designed from the beginning to be user tunable, but it also supports a lot of settings that wouldn't be used on a 5.0. The devices to tune a stock ECU are tuning something originally meant to be adjusted by factory calibration engineers, although they've done a bit of work to simplify this.

I'll let anyone who has tuned both chime in. I know our setups, but haven't personally worked with the stock ECU tuning devices you mentioned.

Does the DIYPNP keep the stock dash gauges working (such as the tach)?
Yes. The gauges on this car operate on their own.

Do I need fan control for a stock electric fan?
It's built in to the DIYPNP.

How does the 94/95 harness wiring compare to a 88-93 fox?
A couple injectors are on different pins, and you've got ECU controlled fans. The automatics add an extra complication as these were ECU controlled, but it's no big deal with a manual.

I have 2 LC-2 Wideband kits (one for each bank), where would I wire both into the DIYPNP mainboard?
One would go to the primary O2 input. The other would go to one of the two spare analog inputs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The interface is a bit different. The MS2 was designed from the beginning to be user tunable, but it also supports a lot of settings that wouldn't be used on a 5.0. The devices to tune a stock ECU are tuning something originally meant to be adjusted by factory calibration engineers, although they've done a bit of work to simplify this.

I'll let anyone who has tuned both chime in. I know our setups, but haven't personally worked with the stock ECU tuning devices you mentioned.

Yes. The gauges on this car operate on their own.

It's built in to the DIYPNP.

A couple injectors are on different pins, and you've got ECU controlled fans. The automatics add an extra complication as these were ECU controlled, but it's no big deal with a manual.

One would go to the primary O2 input. The other would go to one of the two spare analog inputs.
Awesome. That helps me so much! Glad I have a manual trans!
Now for another question:

Because my 94 cobra is pretty much a dedicated street car (very rarely sees tracks or strips), when getting rid of the factory ECU, would I lose any other functions that I'd need to know about? Or is every other function in the stock ECU just dead weight because of the simpler DIYPNP?

·
Registered
7 Posts
What is the DB15 connector mainly used for? Could It be used to make Wideband sensors plug-n-play instead of hard wiring them to the board?

How would I go about making a fan control circuit on the DIYPNP if I have a "High Fan Control" on pin 32, and a "Low Fan Control" on pin 55 on the stock harness?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
What is the DB15 connector mainly used for? Could It be used to make Wideband sensors plug-n-play instead of hard wiring them to the board?
You can wire anything to it that needs less than 5 amps of current that you don't want to wire to the main harness. A wideband controller can certainly be connected here. Or a boost control solenoid, or anything else you didn't have in the stock harness.

How would I go about making a fan control circuit on the DIYPNP if I have a "High Fan Control" on pin 32, and a "Low Fan Control" on pin 55 on the stock harness?
Use these, wired to pins 32 and 55.

https://www.diyautotune.com/diypnp/docs1_5/extra_outputs.html#Programmable_On/Off_Outputs_

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seeing as I have 2 Innovative LC-2 Widebands (1 for each bank), how would I set up the INJ 1 & INJ 2 mainboard pins for bank to bank fire?
For example:
INJ 1 [#1, #2, #3, #4] / INJ 2 [#5, #6, #7, #8]

I'm confused about this because the table in application docs has the 1993 mustang injector pins setup with INJ 1 being [#3, #5, #6, #1] & INJ 2 being [#4, #7, #8, #2].
Maybe I'm not understanding something right?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Seeing as I have 2 Innovative LC-2 Widebands (1 for each bank), how would I set up the INJ 1 & INJ 2 mainboard pins for bank to bank fire?
For example:

I'm confused about this because the table in application docs has the 1993 mustang injector pins setup with INJ 1 being [#3, #5, #6, #1] & INJ 2 being [#4, #7, #8, #2].
You have to physically rewire the banks. The docs are showing you how the banks are wired right now, which is not separately for each side of the engine.

I would make the change in the harness where it plugs in to the ECU. Swap 5,6 with 4,2.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You have to physically rewire the banks. The docs are showing you how the banks are wired right now, which is not separately for each side of the engine.

I would make the change in the harness where it plugs in to the ECU. Swap 5,6 with 4,2.
I see, that makes much more sense! It's that simple, I guess I was just overthinking it. Thanks!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I posted a Excel file on the MS forums that shows the basic connections on the board. Ill try to post it here. I converted it to PDF and there are two pages. I couldn'tget it to open on my phone but it will on my PC. You can do whatever for the O2s. I used both with one to the O2 on the board and the other to one of the ADC inputs (ADC2 I think). I also have the launch control setup on PE1 from the clutch switch. I have yet to setup the A/C idle up function, should be easy, and I'm going to try to operate the purge solenoid during cruise or decel when I travel back home. I'm in CA and my ride is in KY. I wish I could have been home to tune the WUE during the cold spell but I'll get it done pretty soon. Don't know if this helps any but thought I would offer it up. I think you would be happy with the DIYPNP. The forum is great and you'll get an answer pretty quick by some really knowledgeable guys. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I posted a Excel file on the MS forums that shows the basic connections on the board. Ill try to post it here. I converted it to PDF and there are two pages. I couldn'tget it to open on my phone but it will on my PC. You can do whatever for the O2s. I used both with one to the O2 on the board and the other to one of the ALD inputs (ALD2 I think). I also have the launch control setup on PE1 from the clutch switch. I have yet to setup the A/C idle up function, should be easy, and I'm going to try to operate the purge solenoid during cruise or decel when I travel back home. I'm in CA and my ride is in KY. I wish I could have been home to tune the WUE during the cold spell but I'll get it done pretty soon. Don't know if this helps any but thought I would offer it up. I think you would be happy with the DIYPNP. The forum is great and you'll get an answer pretty quick by some really knowledgeable guys. Good luck!
Thank you! This will definitely help me.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
For example:

It's bank to bank, now.

The table doesn't show the injector numbers, only the pinout from the 60-pin connector. You also have to take into account the 302-HO firing order (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8). This table summarizes what works & what won't. Makes no difference if you have 2 wide bands.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
if your considering tuning then hands down the moates quarterhorse is the best bang for buck, despite what people 'claim' its very simple to tune the ford ecu's, once you have a base tune all you have to do is dial in the maf transfer and spark table its much simpler that any aftermarket ecu

these may be of interest

A9L2 / EFIDynoTuning

www.EFIDynoTuning.com - FREE Custom Tuning Software

41 - 56 of 56 Posts