Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Do you like my sketch? Almost looks real.
There is no order to INJ1 & INJ2 on the main board. Wire for the least amount of crossovers.

Pic is now on p.36 of 47. I changed colors to easily see the 2 groupings of four.

I'm sure I'll find some errors in the doc, after reading it through carefully.

Oops! Draft #3 above pointed to Draft #2, fixed.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I see what you mean. Previous owner installed the red jumper wires on the wrong side. Electrically, it's the same. Would be good to get Matt's comments on this, as to whether it's an issue or not.

Don't know what the yellow jumper is right now. I might be able to figure it out.
It's Boost Control

How about a pic of the other side? Edit the same post & insert it. I'll come back & edit this one.

Supposed to look like something like this.
For those unaware, this is not the Ford Connector Board, it's a Nissan.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You can put the wires on either side (or both). We've generally avoided pictures like that out of concerns that you can get lost trying to follow a wire from one side to the other; that is why we use a chart instead.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The one there is to serve as an example rather than something to be followed to see how the jumpers go. We get people asking for a picture so they can follow the jumpers, and I generally think that to be a bad idea.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I don't disagree with that, it's an example. Just was looking for a Ford example instead of a Nissan example. If nothing else, it shows what it should look like with the wires on the bottom (the preferred) instead of the top.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Looks good, nice job!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Blown88GT thanks for putting this together. I had picked up one that was supposedly already assembled. I couldn't find what I felt was good enough info to double check. Your manual made it very easy to follow and I identified a couple things that needed to be corrected.

I was wondering if you would consider adding a section for an MSD installed. Many mustang owners probably have one already and there is a little more configuration work along with it.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I have a Crane HI-6. Didn't do anything special for it. Never liked the MSD's with their "pills". I think the newer ones have dials like the Crane always did.

The newer firmware makes much of the firmware loading section obsolete. Started changing it, but got sidetracked. Firmware loading is pretty simple, just follow the on screen instructions. Started to capture screen shots but didn't want to re-flash mine with the same version. Now that I'm more familiar with Tuner Studio, loading & saving tunes is not as scary.

I have a wide band on order & will be making other mods so can switch between the narrow band & wide band with a toggle switch.

I've also had to change mounting location, could not get it to fit inside the kick panel. 1st tie-wrapped it up to the vent thing under the glove box., then made a bracket, so don't have to cut the cable ties. It interfers a bit with passenger feet & because of the factory harness, must be mounted upside down, i.e. flange down instead of flange up.

The wideband controller should fit inside the kick panel along with connector & relay. For now, the A9L fills the space, might still be room for the controller below it because no factory connector in the way.

Was going to work on the tune, but the wideband would change it, anyway. The weather is not allowing for road testing. Just had to get new tires, too. Got some long datalogs, found out you can autotune from the log, then test it later.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a Crane HI-6. Didn't do anything special for it. Never liked the MSD's with their "pills". I think the newer ones have dials like the Crane always did.
Hmmm. Maybe Matt can chime it. The info I found was for the standard MSII.

Best I can tell on the DIYPNP is that you need to connect the white wire from the MSD to the spout connector signal back to the ECU.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Matt one more thing. Mine is built per the recommendations for the TFI by itself. Is there any resistors that need to be added or only the above steps needed.

Thanks.

Nope just connect the ignition wire (SPOUT in Ford TFI lingo) wire to MSD's white wire. It's okay if that wire is configured for Ford's TFI, the MSD understands that signal.

Make sure the wires going to the coil directly are only connected to the MSD and nothing else!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Nope just connect the ignition wire (SPOUT in Ford TFI lingo) wire to MSD's white wire. It's okay if that wire is configured for Ford's TFI, the MSD understands that signal.

Make sure the wires going to the coil directly are only connected to the MSD and nothing else!
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
...Best I can tell on the DIYPNP is that you need to connect the white wire from the MSD to the spout connector signal back to the ECU...
This is how mine is connected. The Crane uses the MSD adapter to make the wiring easier. I've had it this way for 20 years. HI-6 is located in drivers side kick panel, wires are plenty long enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
I am trying to connect my LC-1 to the DIYPNP. The way I understand it is that I remove the original jumper wire that connected the O2 edge connector to the Ford 60 pin connector. I would then add a jumper wire to an available pin (Pin #2 for me) on the DB15. The analog signal from the LC-1 would connect to the DB15 pin to supply the signal to the megasquirt.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I am trying to connect my LC-1 to the DIYPNP. The way I understand it is that I remove the original jumper wire that connected the O2 edge connector to the Ford 60 pin connector. I would then add a jumper wire to an available pin (Pin #2 for me) on the DB15. The analog signal from the LC-1 would connect to the DB15 pin to supply the signal to the megasquirt.
That works. The other option is to wire the LC-1's analog signal to the O2 input wire on the 60 pin connector. There's often multiple ways to do things. Your method has the advantage of not disturbing the stock harness.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Finally got around to installing my DIYPNP and I have to say it was pretty easy. The only real hitch I had was my LC-1 was sending a narrow band signal but it was a pretty easy fix. Did the install Saturday afternoon and was up and driving in less than and hour (even taking my time). Sunday I spent a little time cruising around and enjoying the drive ability. So much better than the piggy back system I had on before and this is on e85 and a turbo.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts