Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have the MS DIYPNP for EECIV. I am using a 64 bit Windows 7 PC, prolific USB to Rs232 adapter, latest TunerStudio, and latest 64 Bit Megalogviewer. When I am viewing a log with logviewer there is a button on the upper right of the screen that says "open tune". I assume this opens the tune so MLViewer can analyze? Is this a safe assumption? Anyway Megalogviewer locks up or freezes when ever I click the "open tune" button. The log stops playing, none of the interface menus or navigation works, and I can't close the program with the "x" button. Any clues as to why this might happen or how to fix it?

Second question: Can I use "AutoTune" for the ve table if I only have a factory NB?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the MS DIYPNP for EECIV. I am using a 64 bit Windows 7 PC, prolific USB to Rs232 adapter, latest TunerStudio, and latest 64 Bit Megalogviewer. When I am viewing a log with logviewer there is a button on the upper right of the screen that says "open tune". I assume this opens the tune so MLViewer can analyze? Is this a safe assumption?
Not only is this a safe assumption, it is the correct one.

Anyway Megalogviewer locks up or freezes when ever I click the "open tune" button. The log stops playing, none of the interface menus or navigation works, and I can't close the program with the "x" button. Any clues as to why this might happen or how to fix it?
Definitely not normal - your best bet is to contact EFI Analytics directly at [email protected], and send them a copy of the log you're playing back and the tune you are trying to open.

Second question: Can I use "AutoTune" for the ve table if I only have a factory NB?
This can only really autotune to 14.7:1 - which is only desirable in certain parts of the map.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Not only is this a safe assumption, it is the correct one.

Definitely not normal - your best bet is to contact EFI Analytics directly at [email protected], and send them a copy of the log you're playing back and the tune you are trying to open.

This can only really autotune to 14.7:1 - which is only desirable in certain parts of the map.
Thanks! I had sent an email to Ben about the logviewer problem. He forwarded it to Phil. I sent Phil the .txt log from MLV. He fixed the application after identifying some trouble and linked me to a newer version of MLV. I am now running MLV 3.1.7x64. Thanks for your help!

Is 14.7 typical for idle? The base mustang tune from DIYAUTOTUNE.com commands a much richer afr at idle with my combo. I am still getting used to the software and dealing with a surging idle. (much different idle symptom compared to the lean misfire I previously had with the stock ecu)

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
is the new pnp2 for the 94-95 cars as "powerfull" as a DIY kit? do they have the same features?

another question,what is the biggest feature of the pnp2 series? that they are very easy to install,no wire cutting,etc as the "pnp" stands for..or do they have added features over a diy kit,that someone can put together? not sure if i'm making myself clear,i confuse myself sometimes..lol

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is the new pnp2 for the 94-95 cars as "powerfull" as a DIY kit? do they have the same features?

another question,what is the biggest feature of the pnp2 series? that they are very easy to install,no wire cutting,etc as the "pnp" stands for..or do they have added features over a diy kit,that someone can put together? not sure if i'm making myself clear,i confuse myself sometimes..lol
They're both plug and play (other than plumbing up a vacuum hose for the MAP sensor), and share a common processor and the MicroSquirt Module at their core. They can run the same tunes as well, although the MSPNP has the IAC output polarity reversed and a couple other minor differences.

The MSPNP does add several features compared to the DIYPNP. It has a 4 bar MAP sensor and a real time baro sensor standard. The injector drivers are current sensing peak and hold designs for large low impedance injectors. We've put in an improved knock sensor circuit with built in det cans (although you need to add a knock sensor on a Mustang). And the case is an even more direct fit - the external dimensions are within 1-2 mm of a stock EEC-IV housing so it will mount right in the stock bracketry.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
thnks matt..that has narrowed down my search..when you say the pnp has the iac outputs reversed, does that make it harder to get the idle air control motor set? i know i've read a few threads where others are having a hard time getting the iac to work correctly..i'm running a/c on mine,so i'm going to need the iac feature for sure...thanks again

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does the MSPNP for the 87-93 5.0 require a VSS? I have swapped a 99+ t5 into my 89 and currently have no speedometer or VSS hooked up. I was told this can cause a rich or
Lean condition. It is running rich but doesn't stall and idles fine. I'm really interested in this product. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Does the MSPNP for the 87-93 5.0 require a VSS? I have swapped a 99+ t5 into my 89 and currently have no speedometer or VSS hooked up. I was told this can cause a rich or
Lean condition. It is running rich but doesn't stall and idles fine. I'm really interested in this product. Thanks.

it doesn't use vss as is, I am sure it could but not setup with the pnp models

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I finally got this figured out.

After days of questions on the forum & emails to Matt & a lot of research on DIYAutoTune.com, I think I have this figured out. It wasn't easy to find, but I believe this is the best they have to offer for the Fox Body, if you can do some soldering & assembly. It has some distinct advantages over the MSPNP2-EEC4B8 & the MS2357-F8693.

1. It is based on the MicroSquirt.
2. It uses the Ford 60-pin connector, in a box about the same size as the stock EEC-IV
3. There are no adapter harnesses or 2nd box to interface to the vehicle.
4. It can be powered up on the test bench with a simple AC power adapter, so you can load initial firmware.
5. Uses the same EFI Analytics software, Tuner Studio, Megalog Viewer.
6. It is less expensive.

These are the 3 links to everything on DIYAutoTune.com that specifically apply to the '87-'93 Fox Bodies. I have found no page were these 3 links are together.
DIYPNP V1.5 Main Board Assembly
DIYPNP Main Board Assembly - DIYAutoTune.com

DIYPNP Firmware Loading
DIYPNP Firmware Loading Walkthrough - DIYAutoTune.com

Application Docs: 1988 - 1993 Ford Mustang 5.0L V8
DIYPNP MegaSquirt installation for the Ford Mustang 5.0L

BTW, Matt, '86 & '87, too. First year for EFI was '86.

I've put all this together in a 30 page pdf manual which I'll be sending to Matt. If he likes it, he can put it on his website.

Creating it did help to better understand how it all goes together. Depending on your level of experience with electronics assembly, it should be able to be assembled in one day. The MicroSquirt daughter card is pre-assembled.

In my opinion, as far as I can tell without schematics, the hardware design itself is far beyond any of the competitors & the software is fully supported. Phil at EFI already fixed a bug in Windows 2000 for me, so I can use my 14-year old laptop for firmware load & debugging. Of course, I can use my newest laptop. HP ProBook 4530s core i3, 8GB, Samsung SSD, Win7-64. If you've never tried an SSD, i.e. power up to typing this in 1 minute, what else can I say?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I've already found 2 injector wiring schemes that don't agree. Are there more?
All are supposed to be for '86-'93. I'm not convinced either of these is correct, maybe it doesn't matter?

Edge Pin Connections
Main---+--Injector--+--Adapter
Board--+--Number--+--Board
-------+--------------+---------------
INJ1--+--3, 5, 6, 1--+--12, 14, 15, 58
INJ2--+--4, 7, 8, 2--+--13, 42, 52, 59
-------+---------------+---------------
INJ1--+--4, 6, 7, 1--+--13, 15, 42, 58
INJ2--+--3, 5, 8, 2--+--12, 14, 52, 59

Could this be related to confusion over the firing order?
These are 302-HO engines: 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

Firing Order translates to:
Left - 2; 1 & 3
Right - 1; 7
Left - 1; 2
Right - 2; 6 & 5
Left - 1; 4
Right - 1; 8

Put all the left bank together & the right bank together, and...
Left Bank - 1,3,2,4
Right Bank - 7,6,5,8

This is the same thing, since there are only 2 injector banks.
Believe it, or not, this is the grouping.
-------+---------------+---------------
INJ1--+--1, 2, 3, 4--+--58, 59, 12, 13
INJ2--+--5, 6, 7, 8--+--14, 15, 42, 52

Sometimes the simple answer is the best answer.

BTW, this is a pretty good explanation of Timed vs Batched EFI
Sequential Injection Realities

Attachments

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I've already found 2 injector wiring schemes that don't agree. Are there more?
All are supposed to be for '86-'93. I'm not convinced either of these is correct, maybe it doesn't matter?
If you're going to run a single fuel table for all injectors, it's probably best to not to have all injectors in a single batch on the side, but rather do 2 on each side for all batches so that the pressure drop in the rail is minimized when injectors fire.

If you'll be using 2 fuel tables, you then probably do want to divide the motor and do a "bank fire" setup. This makes the most sense if you pair it up with 2 widebands so that you can tune each half of the engine independently. The primary benefit is a smoother engine.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The reason there are so many wiring schemes floating around out there is that just about any of them can work, and none of them has a clear enough advantage in the real world to obviously trounce the others.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
That's what I thought. What do you think is the best default and/or the one you use in the PnP G2?

In the meantime, I did an engineering sketch using the Proto Area to configure it in any combination using pin headers & jumpers. This way, you never have to de-solder & re-solder if you want to change it.

I did it in Excel & will include it in the Manual. I think the picture will be clear rather than trying to explain it here. Only new hardware is 8-1x3 headers & 8 jumpers. Initial wiring is a bit different to get everything to the headers.

See attached pdf.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
1. If you're going to run a single fuel table for all injectors, it's probably best to not to have all injectors in a single batch on the side, but rather do 2 on each side for all batches so that the pressure drop in the rail is minimized when injectors fire.

2. If you'll be using 2 fuel tables, you then probably do want to divide the motor and do a "bank fire" setup. This makes the most sense if you pair it up with 2 widebands so that you can tune each half of the engine independently. The primary benefit is a smoother engine.
1. Good to know, because that's what the website Excel table shows.
INJ1 (Bank A) - 3,5,6,1 (1 & 3, 5 & 6) 1-3, 6-5
INJ2 (Bank B) - 4,7,8,2 (2 & 4, 7 & 8) 7-2, 4-8
Looking at it like this, it now makes sense & matches the firing order of 1-3, 7-2, 6-5, 4-8, alternating banks.
2. Maybe do this at a later date.

BTW, Matt, are you planning any Holiday specials? I think you had one last year.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
11-23-2013
Moved Startup Maps section prior to Firmware Loading Section
Draft link removed.

12-14-2013
DIYPNPF60-K Manual Final Rev.#1

These are too large to host on Corral, where limit is about 2MB.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts