Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2001 GT and i'm installing 3:73 gears next tuesday. How could i correct my speedo? what are my options? I'm trying to stay away from a chip because they are expensive and i'm worried that it will screw up my ford computer,

thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
If i remember correctly, the speedo on the 2001 is digitally controlled, granted i could be totally of base. There is a device that can calibrate it for you. I can't think of it. You could always ask your dealership.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If it's an auto, you have to get the chip to make new shift points and fix the speedo...if its a stick you can get either a chip or you can get a Dallas Mustang/Brothers Performance SpeedCal or an Abbott ERA...these will fix your speedo for about $80-100....

p.s. If you go with the Dallas unit you should wait about a week or so before ordering cause they are upgrading the software on them to fix a few minor issues...:)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my car is a 5-speed

whats the difference between a SpeedCal and a Abbott ERA???

which is better? why is there a price difference when it does the same job?

sorry for all the question, just want to inform myself for my knowledge and i want to do it right the first time.

thanks

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
you can get the Dallas unit at Brothers Performance for $80+shipping...I think the Abbott ERA is about $100...

I know from having the Speed Cal that it's about a 15 minute install, only have to splice into one wire (the cig lighter power wire with a 3M scotch lock) and the rest is just swapping around some pins in some plugs that come out of your transmission under the car...when you change gears or tire sizes it's an easy conversion, just go to the Dallas website, enter your info in their Speedcal conversion calculator, and then just flip some dip switches on the Speedcal's board...

I think with the Abbott you have to splice into additional wires, but I'm not too sure about the total install...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts