Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I bought a 96 3.0 5speed ranger.

it came with wheels/tires off an explorer and they are 255/70R15.

I didnt think much about it until yesterday when I almost got a ticket for speeding. cop said I was doing 68 in a 55. I told him I was doing 60, which yeah is speeding, but it sure wasnt 68. then he looked at my tires and we both looked at the data plate and sure enough, the stock tire size is 225/70R14.

ugh. he gave me a warning after I explained the wheels/tires came on the truck and told me to get it fixed.

I dont have the stock 14" wheels to even put on the truck. best option I can think is to get a different tooth speedo gear for the VSS in the truck. Is this possible? I've swapped them on my mustang in the past (but just for a rear gear change, never a tire size change) and all you do is pull the 10mm bolt and pop the clip off the gear and toss the new one on but I have no clue which one I would even need?

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
Your current tire is 91.2 inch circumference and 715 revolutions per mile. The factory size had an 82.9 inch circumference and 787 revs per mile. 715/787 = .901 so you need about 10% fewer driven speedo teeth than you currently have in order to speed the driven gear up accordingly. If you have a 23 tooth, you need a 21 tooth. But you need to know what you're working with first.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great thanks! I would have never thought to do the calculation like that. hopefully, I can get up under the truck this weekend if I can get a little time away from our newborn

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awesome thanks! I'm waiting on a good non-rainy day when I'm home from work still to get under the truck as I dont have a covered garage space to work in at this point. its been raining every day down here the past couple of weeks.

hopefully I can count the drive gear inside the M5OD transmission but I will post a question on on the ranger forums in the meantime to see if anyone knows off-hand as I cant imagine there were too many different choices for my particular engine/trans combo...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts