Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im tryin to decide if i wanna put a turbo kit on or not. Would a stock 302 shortblock,gt40p heads,stock cam,cobra intake,42's,3.27 gear,B&G 67mm single kit be very streeable? Would i be able to drive it alot,go on trips,ect? Let me know as much info as possible,thanx

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just ordered a kit from BG. Just call Brian and tell him what you are looking for. My car is a pretty basic KK short block, performer heads, victor intake, E cam, 70MM TB. I ordered his Stage 1 kit and upgraded to ceramic coating and had him make extra cut in the exhaust so I could easily get to plugs.

I have long since been tired of all the noise with my car. I am installing Damplifier to quiet things down and I am using 2.73 gears. Not a track car anymore. Like to drive it 400 miles at a time a few times a year up the Florida turnpike.

One of the things Brian said was with a mild 302/306 a 70 MM turbo would work but not be quite as fun as a slightly smaller turbo.....at least for the daily driver. One of my other goals was to maintain longevity with the 70K mile motor that I have. Keep the power under 550.

Just as a side note, I had a Vortec with about 17 lbs of boost but I sold it about a 1.5 years ago. I believe I was very close to 500 at the wheels. I have taken a long time to pick a turbo kit.

Remember factors such as your cooling system....radiator and fan setup are important. The BG kit is designed for Stand alone computer because of the one peice pipe that goes from intercooler to throttle body. You will have to cut material out for blow through MAF or switch to stand alone computer. Other than that the stage 1 kit should be very streetable.

I am by no means well versed with installing/driving turbo cars but this is where my research has lead me. Good luck and I am sure the rest of the gang will chime in.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
im tryin to decide if i wanna put a turbo kit on or not. Would a stock 302 shortblock,gt40p heads,stock cam,cobra intake,42's,3.27 gear,B&G 67mm single kit be very streeable? Would i be able to drive it alot,go on trips,ect? Let me know as much info as possible,thanx
Similar combo here and I drive it everywhere.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how far & how long do u other guys drive it for? what kind of cooling system would i need? would stock fan work if i got a aluminum rad? thanx,keep it comin

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I have a very similar engine setup but twin turbos. GT40Ps, had a cobra intake but now have edelbrock performer, stock cam, full smog equipement, 42# injectors. The car runs like a stocker. That is the beauty of turbos. Nothing turbo related affects the ability to drive it every day.
Erich

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
how far & how long do u other guys drive it for? what kind of cooling system would i need? would stock fan work if i got a aluminum rad? thanx,keep it comin
I use mine as my daily except for Winter, drive it 60 miles roundtrip to the track, 30 or so miles to the 'local' A&W and countless miles in city.

I run a griffon radiator with a black magic fan and standard rotation waterpump. Nothing too trick at all, as posted above - beautiful thing to have power in a car that runs like a stocker :joy:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I drive mine everyday...just remember wrap ANYTHING/EVERYTHING with heat shield/header wrap/thermo-tec...Turbo's have a tendency to melt a lot of crap. I found that one out the hard way...melted 2 clutch cables, a high pressure power steering line, a couple of wire harnesses...

On 2nd thought, buy stock in Thermo-Tec.

CERAMIC COATING IS NOT ENOUGH BY ITSELF!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Depends on how much boost, but I think about 350-400 @ around 10-12 psi.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Your motor probably makes 270rwhp as it sits.

Throw 10 psi at it and you get ideally 68% more air. Figure 450rwhp on 10 psi.

You want 500-550rwhp, you got spin the turbo! Think 15psi at that point.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
thats all? bone stock ones are makin almost 450-475,i thought around 500-550rwhp
Buddy has a 100% stock coupe witha 76mm gts hellion kit - at 18lbs he made 480.

My car made 416/500 on 9lbs of boost and I had some big issues when I dyno'd the car. I haven't put it back on the rollers but it runs 10.50's so i'm sure it's making more than that. However, i'm running 12lbs of boost now too.

·
U.S. Air Force RETIRED
3,245 Posts
I made 468/514 on a stock motor with a hellion 62mm kit. Drove it all the time, wish I left it that way:mad:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
b&g here with t-67
making 440hp and 475tq at the wheels with a super conservitive tune on a 306 w tfs H/i/stage 1 cam 42lbinjectors and 255 pump tuned using megasquirt on 7lbs of boost. with ac/ps and everthing else only goes out on nice days but i take it everywhere on nice days. So yes it can be done and i plan on doing it this summer with even more power

·
Registered
211 Posts
thats all? bone stock ones are makin almost 450-475,i thought around 500-550rwhp

I didn't know if you were limited to 91 pump gas or what. But your combo isn't that crazy either. Stock cam with Explorer heads and Cobra intake is only a 200ish RWHP combo. Throw 10 psi at it (approx 20 rwhp per psi) and you're looking around 400 to the ground.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ill be running 93 pump gas. Ive read a couple articles where they had a bone stock w/only under drive pullies,maybe 1 or 2 other things & it made like 467rwhp. i just thought id make atleast alil more w/the upgrades ill have. You guys think 67mm is right for me?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts