Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to make sure my car is right before taking it to get tuned. The car starts up and idles fine, I can take it out and drive it but when I give it some gas it breaks up pretty good after 2000 rpms.

I have not gotten into boost this is just light throttle to around 0 on the boost gauge. I can hear the blow off go pretty loudly at this point but its almost like I cannot get into the throttle at all. AFR is about 14.7 at idle and it goes to 12-13 when giving it gas.

Is it normal for it to act like this? I would think I should be able to drive it without it breaking up. I have not stabbed the throttle or anything I have only lightly accelerated.

I think the timing is right. I had to put a new dizzy in the car but I marked where the rotor button was and the TFI module and put it back right where it was. I think after driving it there was a kind of back fire or miss too at idle. Any help would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
sounds like the timing may be a little off

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that is what I am thinking. I dont have a light to test it but I guess I can play with it a bit side to side and see. That could be fixed when it is tuned as well I guess.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Yeah that is what I am thinking. I dont have a light to test it but I guess I can play with it a bit side to side and see. That could be fixed when it is tuned as well I guess.
yes.. your tuner will set the base.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to get a timing light and set it right today. I want to drive it a bit more before getting it tuned so I will know how it is doing. Thanks man

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha why is everyone all torn up about driving it not tuned? EVERY tuner I have talked to says it is ok to drive it as long as you stay out of boost, which I have done. You cant just put a turbo kit on and expect it to run perfect once you get to the dyno, how are you supposed to test anything that way?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Check spark plug gaps also...

You should be able to drive around without a tune for a while

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it was definitely the timing. Timing was at 12 ATDC lol. WAAAYYY off. I put it back at 10 BTDC and it ran 100% better like it should. Now just need a real tune.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Well it was definitely the timing. Timing was at 12 ATDC lol. WAAAYYY off. I put it back at 10 BTDC and it ran 100% better like it should. Now just need a real tune.

you can drive an untuned car..... i race one on 14psi.... I just threw fuel pressure at mine.

If the AFR and timing are right, it doesn't matter how you get them there.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I went 9's at 139mph with an A9L and no tune in a fox. Just gotta watch AFR like mentioned before.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
317 Posts
Untuned here with 7 pounds, I drive the car hard every weekend for 3 years not a problem yet lol. Just drive it and stay out of boost.

Don't be scared.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts