Ford Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
If I do it the simpleton way I am thinking of, will this thing be reliable and perform well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No one here can answer that question because it depends on what size he bores your block to and what size pistons you happen to get. Do you expect to get a bunch of money soon? I ask because when you do this a second time and do it right, you are going to need it. Seriously though, order the pistons and do it right the first time.

·
Vendor
11,994 Posts
I can tell you what the mahle.piston will measure. It will be between 4.027 and 4.0275, every single time and I have used piles of them. So if you want, simply tell him to please bore and finish hone my block to 4.030 and return to me. It's very simple.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Simple analogy, would you build your house with out the foundation , and then put the foundation under it , and expect the doors and windows to open correctly ?
Get your parts the shop asked for , then take your parts to them .

·
Registered
721 Posts
I can tell you what the mahle.piston will measure. It will be between 4.027 and 4.0275, every single time and I have used piles of them. So if you want, simply tell him to please bore and finish hone my block to 4.030 and return to me. It's very simple.
So someone here can answer that question

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
It’s only going to cost me $125 more to bore it the way he wants by decking the block. That’s fine by me. I’m just hoping the results will be significant from a 302 vs 347.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
If your machine shop/builder doesn't suck cock it'll be fine.

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
It’s only going to cost me $125 more to bore it the way he wants by decking the block. That’s fine by me. I’m just hoping the results will be significant from a 302 vs 347.

If you make 1hp per cube, that's a solid 45hp gain. I'd say worth it. (With good heads)

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
There is only one piston company left that you actually need to have the pistons in hand before you bore the block......and that isn't one mentioned here.

He's not running enough cam to need the 205 heads. 185's will make all the power he's going to make.

In this, as in all things, it is your money.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
There is only one piston company left that you actually need to have the pistons in hand before you bore the block......and that isn't one mentioned here.

He's not running enough cam to need the 205 heads. 185's will make all the power he's going to make.

In this, as in all things, it is your money.
How when I don’t even know the cam specs as it will be custom ?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
How when I don’t even know the cam specs as it will be custom ?

Because you told us what you're using the engine for. That puts limits on the parts you're going to have to use to make that feasible.

You can use a 400 horse head to make 400. or you can use a 600 horse head to make 400. The on;ly difference is the amount of money you'll spend to do it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Because you told us what you're using the engine for. That puts limits on the parts you're going to have to use to make that feasible.

You can use a 400 horse head to make 400. or you can use a 600 horse head to make 400. The on;ly difference is the amount of money you'll spend to do it.
Fair enough. Ideally I’d love it if it cracked over 420whp AND made awesome mid range power as well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
can i take a guess and say icon... however that may not be it.... i just recieved a set and they were on the small side. not by much and not all over the place..

the machine shop said they tend to run on the small side.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Fair enough. Ideally I’d love it if it cracked over 420whp AND made awesome mid range power as well.

Even an Edelbroke Vic Jr will allow 520 at the flywheel. It's hard to find a head that won't.

From my perspective, is a 1600 dollar AFR 185 will get you there, why are you buying a 2200 dollar set of 205's. Bragging rights aren't worth the extra money. And, yes I know the prices aren't correct. It's an example.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
can i take a guess and say icon... however that may not be it.... i just recieved a set and they were on the small side. not by much and not all over the place..

the machine shop said they tend to run on the small side.
I'm not here to denigrate anyone's product. But yes, they are........inconsistent.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I have time to get all my stuff together. I want to ensure I have a good quality sets of parts to go on the block.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts