Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Vendor
11,994 Posts
The new mahle piston uses a 2mm oil ring and doesnt use a rail spacer. I dont buy kits, just the individual parts. Your shop should be able to do this, I would hope.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Do you recommend they zero the block? I honestly would just want him to bore it- hot tank it. Be done with it. Oh and install cam bearings. That’s it. I can do everything else at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I’m so confused fellers. The machine shop is telling me to get whichever bottom end I end up with balanced and blueprinted by them. He says it makes a world of a difference as they are all out a little bit.

Can anyone comment on which scat assembly is good? Don’t need anything forged or with h beam rods. Car will not have such power levels.

In that case you'd be fine with the 185 heads. You can save a few hundred and make the same power..

1-94170 Is the cast crank, Mahle flat tops, Pro Stock rods, unbalanced.

The rods and pistons will take whatever you throw at them, the crank will take more than the block will. It's fine.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
If its still available I would use a 5.315 rod and appropriate piston. Mark ONeal pioneered this setup and its brilliant. Ask him if he can still source the parts.
I'm still the only one that does that.

He might get JG to use a 5.325 rod and a 1.165 piston. The cost should be the same.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Do you recommend they zero the block? I honestly would just want him to bore it- hot tank it. Be done with it. Oh and install cam bearings. That’s it. I can do everything else at home.

It's never a bad idea but, for what you are trying to accomplish, it means pretty much nothing.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the part number Mark. I appreciate it. What weigh balancer do I need ?

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Thanks for the part number Mark. I appreciate it. What weigh balancer do I need ?
Incidentally, when people recommend a particular brand of pistons or rods, it usually means that they sell that brand. Mahle is a good as any, but they gots no magic.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Power Bond 1084ss is a 50oz external balance.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
They do have great rings included now
Yeah.... but they gain nothing in this motor. Of course, they lose nothing either.

I'd pass on 1/16 whenever I can, because of the radial width., but even a 1.5 1.5 3.0 is fine for most combinations.

·
Vendor
11,994 Posts
Yeah.... but they gain nothing in this motor. Of course, they lose nothing either.

I'd pass on 1/16 whenever I can, because of the radial width., but even a 1.5 1.5 3.0 is fine for most combinations.
The 302 stuff is all 1.0 1.0 2.0 now. Steel top, Napier second. People freaked out about pin in oil ring is gone as they got rid of rail spacers

21 - 40 of 81 Posts