Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Literally dropping off my bare block to the machine shop in a couple of hours and I’m undecided if I should keep it simple HCI stock bottom end or go 347 HCI.

Car is a street car that gets driven on the weekends, has full MM suspension, cobra brakes, etc.

How reliable and how streetable are 347s in such a small car like a coupe ? I planed on going with a scar rotating assembly as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
they are more dependable than you think.... power levels, tune, abuse, etc... play a roll in how they hold up..

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on keeping it HCI- 205 heads- custom cam- intake manifold ??

I already have a 75mm maf and 30lb injectors and an Anderson PP.

Not sure if this is enough fuel flow or maf for a 347 thats n/a

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
No difference compared to a similarly built 302 reliability wise. I'm reselling my 347 right now, even after around 35k-40k of boosted miles with quite a bit of abuse it still runs perfect after 12 years.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
is there a issue with pistons and the oil rings burning oil ???
Mine has never burned oil or smoked in anyway. That’s a problem was fixed 20 + years ago. It’s a myth now.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Quality parts, due diligence on machining, double checking clearances, and building in a clean environment are the essentials in reliability.

The best crank, the best rods, the best parts period are junk if the machine work is garbage, the clearances are too tight or too loose, or there’s debris in the engine.

Having more inches is always welcomed.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m so confused fellers. The machine shop is telling me to get whichever bottom end I end up with balanced and blueprinted by them. He says it makes a world of a difference as they are all out a little bit.

Can anyone comment on which scat assembly is good? Don’t need anything forged or with h beam rods. Car will not have such power levels.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tell them you want this. Scat cast 3.400 crank, scat 5.400 I beam rod and a mahle flat top piston in whatever bore size. Have them balance the rotator and your good. They should be able to handle this and build it. Its ridiculously simple.
Does scar have a part number for This kit with the particular Mahle pistons ?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He also says he will need the rotating assembly in the block so he can notch the bottom of the chambers for the longer rod bolts.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for the back to back posting. Also mentioned he would zero deck the block as well

·
Registered
456 Posts
My Fordstrokers 347 stock block didn't last 3500 miles, split the block . 190 11r heads ,Jim's cam, built to be mild, put down 350 at 5700 rpm,s. Never raced, but drove spirited. I'd never do a stock block stroker again.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Literally dropping off my bare block to the machine shop in a couple of hours and I’m undecided if I should keep it simple HCI stock bottom end or go 347 HCI.

Car is a street car that gets driven on the weekends, has full MM suspension, cobra brakes, etc.

How reliable and how streetable are 347s in such a small car like a coupe ? I planed on going with a scar rotating assembly as well.

A 350 Chevy is a stroked 327. They put them in millions of Camaros.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
If its still available I would use a 5.315 rod and appropriate piston. Mark ONeal pioneered this setup and its brilliant. Ask him if he can still source the parts.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts