Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already canceled my quads. So not including those, If I just get rid of my rear shocks and springs and switch to coil overs, how much weight will I save?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You'll probably slightly gain weight as with coilovers in back you need a upper crossmember,large adjustable housing brackets,the shocks themselves are usually heavier and the springs are about the same.It's not like in the front where your replacing a bunch of heavy components with much lighter stuff.Rear coilovers are more for tire clearance/mini tub setups than for weight loss.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
You'll probably slightly gain weight as with coilovers in back you need a upper crossmember,large adjustable housing brackets,the shocks themselves are usually heavier and the springs are about the same.It's not like in the front where your replacing a bunch of heavy components with much lighter stuff.Rear coilovers are more for tire clearance/mini tub setups than for weight loss.
Agreed, you will gain probably about 15-20 lbs.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
On what kind of supension? I'm running rear coilovers without any upper crossmember and all that. It was definitley a weight savings but probably not worth the expense if you are only looking to lose weight.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a stock 93 cobra with a blower, the car runs great though because its lightweight so Im trying to get more out of it.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I don't know what kind of setup that you have but I didn't have to install a cross brace. There is definitely less weight back there, but I'm not sure exactly how much i lost and it wasn't the primary or even secondary goal for me.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
you will loose a stock spring weight but gain a coil over spring and the spring perches top and bottom. They will be within a couple of pounds of eachother. not work the cost or loss of tire clearance.

Tim

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Hey Tim, are you running rear coil-overs, if so, what spring rate and length are you using? Just curious.

·
Registered
988 Posts
A couple of pounds at most. The biggest thing is getting the spring off the control arms and having adj shocks. Its probably not worth it if you are not mini-tubbing the car, just leave it alone and get the strange 10 way-adj. shocks that mount in the stock location. Having an adj shock is huge in getting the car to 60' in my experience.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Nope cut up stock spring v8 with spacers to adjust the ride height.
Tim

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
i think the stock springs and shocks are lighter than the rear coil over kit. UPR sell a rear coil overs that go in the stock spot but added to the rear will help u hook up. plus easy to change the rear springs and us a lighter or heavier spring rate.

i have is on my car but i used QA1 coil overs

·
Registered
988 Posts
Went out to the garage and weighted some stuff for you. Stock v8 springs weight 10lbs each. Coil over spring weights 3lbs each. My moly cross bar is on the car now but it was feather light 2-3lbs. The coilover shocks are aluminum and bet they are within 1lbs either way of the stock ones +/-. The brackets that are welded to the rear end housing are the heaviest part 8lbs each? if i had to guess. Like stated above its within a couple pounds of the stock stuff.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
bolt ons

The bolt on style rear coilovers are less than ideal.You give up tire clearance and it puts the spring at a less than optimal angle.Shock choices are limited and the weight is about the same,which is probably why not many on here are using them.There's plenty of 8 and 9 second cars running stock springs.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You can also run coilover type springs in the stock location with a weld-in upper adapter from MM. That's what I run on mine with the MM weight-jacker arms. This way I have a lighter spring and adjustable ride height without the expense or extra weight of the coilover setup. I mainly did it because I swap out my springs between drag and roadracing and they make coilover springs in 25 lb/in increments so it's nice to be able to fine tune the spring rates.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You can also run coilover type springs in the stock location with a weld-in upper adapter from MM. That's what I run on mine with the MM weight-jacker arms. This way I have a lighter spring and adjustable ride height without the expense or extra weight of the coilover setup. I mainly did it because I swap out my springs between drag and roadracing and they make coilover springs in 25 lb/in increments so it's nice to be able to fine tune the spring rates.
Yes,these look like a good alternative to coilovers and you pick up some tire clearance if you push the wheelwell in near the spring.I'm considering a similar setup from UPR some day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts