Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my friend's On3 Fox Kit with MP70 upgrade, and have had it laying around, waiting on the right car to come up to put it on, but I have been looking at SN95's again, so I thought about putting it up for sale. I was messing with the turbo last night and noticed it has some in and out play, and some up and down play? There is a little oil in the exhaust side impeller too, but he thought the rings were fubar in the motor, although the manifolds seem kind of dry?

The impeller never touches the sides, the turbo has maybe 3k miles on it if that, and has only seen a high of 15 psi a few times, it was mostly ran at 10 or so.

I have read and read, and still dont know how much play is acceptable, or if this would need a rebuild. If it were to need a rebuild, what would that cost? Hell it might be fine, the only reason he took it off of his car is he bought an 04 Cobra, and his LX is just sitting, I just want to have a backup plan whether I sell or keep it.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Any journal bearing will have some shaft play. If you can't get the blades to touch the sides u should be fine. And their usually not worth rebuilding

·
Registered
448 Posts
same turbo on my car = no play or smoke. if you buy the rebuild kit for it, it is super easy to do. i've re-built several small turbos at work mostly vw and mitsu stuff it's all really similar and none of it's come back on me yet. just pay CLOSE attention to how it comes apart and it's gonna go back to gether the same way. it'll work or it won't but the good news is on3 sells a journal bearing 70mm for like 300 bucks and from what i've heard about those is they've had good luck with them so far try it out it the mp smokes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts