Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 Mustang and I am interested in going turbo. I have been looking at the On3 and the BG kits. My biggest concern is how hard is it to get everyhting to fit. I have a GT convertible that is in very nice condition. If I am going to have to start cutting sections out of my front bumper cover to get the intercooler to fit, or using a hammer to modify shock towers and firewalls I will probably just stick with the same old supercharger route that most take. I like the idea of turbo and that its different than what most are using. If you guys could give me an idea of how these kits fit and what problem you have had while installing the I would appreciate it. I am new to the whole turbo thing but have had superchargers in the past. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
358 Posts
just call the manufacture and ask them directly. Thats what I did with my bg kit several years ago and I got exactly what I asked for.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The only real fabrication/cutting that I had to do with my On3 kit was with the front fascia to get the intercooler to fit. My car is an LX, however. And there looks to be a ton more room in a GT bumper. Even more so if you don't have A/C like I do.

·
Registered
579 Posts
If you dont cheap out it wont be problem!!

You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Great! What does that mean? Whats cheaping out?
Buying cheap kits that are just thrown together by non reputable dealers or manufacturers. I had a B&G Stage 1 kit and it was of the highest quality. Hellion is another good kit. Ive never used On3 stuff before so I cant say about them.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buying cheap kits that are just thrown together by non reputable dealers or manufacturers. I had a B&G Stage 1 kit and it was of the highest quality. Hellion is another good kit. Ive never used On3 stuff before so I cant say about them.
Thank you. Thats what I am trying to figure out. I have heard really good things about BG kits. Alot of people have the On3 kits it seems but I have not heard much about the quality. I am looking to buy a decent kit if I were to go this route.

A previous poster suggested I call the manufacturers. They want me to buy a kit from them though, and are going to tell me it fits with minimal problems. I am looking for your guys real world experience with how these fit, and what if anything you have had to modify body, or other to get the kit to fit. I want to retain my A/C also. Thanks for the replys so far, and keep them coming.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only real fabrication/cutting that I had to do with my On3 kit was with the front fascia to get the intercooler to fit. My car is an LX, however. And there looks to be a ton more room in a GT bumper. Even more so if you don't have A/C like I do.
Thank you,

Thats the kind of information I am looking for!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The quality in the on3 kit isn't horrible but you get what you pay for. I can't say much about the fitment since i'm running the sn95 kit but if you go through on3 get the extra's separately ie: fuel pump, injectors, mass air many people on here have experienced problems that way. As far as the kit is concerned I did more modification to my components than my car, like cutting and re welding flanges for better fitment..
Good luck with your build. oh yea and if you go with on3 order it from jegs.com or something similar not directly.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If you go On3, call Chris at Poweraddersolutions. He will change components if you want and point you in the right direction.
B&G is a great kit also, Brian will tell you what is needed for his kits.
There are companies that are still car guys and not trying to make a quick dollar.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I can be more specific if thats what you need. My B&G kit was very custom tailored to fit 2 very different engines. A stock bottom end/AFR 165 and then an aftermarket everything/Trick Flow High Port combo.

They did an excellent job

My intercooler is an ebay 4in special. I had to trim a little off the bottom of the LX bumper.
They asked me a bunch of questions regarding what parts I would be using so they would know exactly how to route the piping.

2 pic of the same work order in case you can see one better then the other.

here you go

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thank you. Thats what I am trying to figure out. I have heard really good things about BG kits. Alot of people have the On3 kits it seems but I have not heard much about the quality. I am looking to buy a decent kit if I were to go this route.

A previous poster suggested I call the manufacturers. They want me to buy a kit from them though, and are going to tell me it fits with minimal problems. I am looking for your guys real world experience with how these fit, and what if anything you have had to modify body, or other to get the kit to fit. I want to retain my A/C also. Thanks for the replys so far, and keep them coming.
The on3 kit has been truly a great kit i havent had one single problem with it. Only mod i even had to do to the whole kit was trim my front bumper, i have an lx though and have seen a few people with lx's and gt's mount the intercooler with out it looking like any mods were made. I have had my turbo kit for i think 4 months now and its still like i pulled it out the box i daily drive mine also. Not a single problem. I would get a boost control though, saves a lot of hassle.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
The on3 kit has been truly a great kit i havent had one single problem with it. Only mod i even had to do to the whole kit was trim my front bumper, i have an lx though and have seen a few people with lx's and gt's mount the intercooler with out it looking like any mods were made. I have had my turbo kit for i think 4 months now and its still like i pulled it out the box i daily drive mine also. Not a single problem. I would get a boost control though, saves a lot of hassle.
When you say boost control.... an electronic one?

·
Registered
785 Posts
When you say boost control.... an electronic one?
Correct. I have a aem its a boost gauge which you'll need and have a boost control built into it. Real easy to hook up took me maybe 30 mins. Mine was $250 i think?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had the on 3 kit for years now.. No real issues except for the flex coupler that I changed and the waste gate flange that broke because of the weight of the waste gate, I welded it and braced it myself.. Fit was great.. I have a stalker nose, and trimmed just a little on my air dam , once again not a big deal.. Overall though no complaints in over 50k miles .. If you want I can send you pics of mine.. Email me if you like

1 - 18 of 18 Posts