Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a clean title 05 GT premium coupe with 92k miles for $11,000obo in California. Im not sure if it's a fair deal because it's built or overpriced because it needs paint. Took pics but they don't show most of the issues. The problem is, the paint is gone and body has issues. But there's a built engine and etc... but its scratched/nicked/swirled/SAP damaged to hell on nearly every square inch of the car, there's some dings, there's a fender that was touching the driver door at some time so is bent and there's a really really mediocre quarter panel body job from a minor accident. Like visible from 50 ft away. Almost like teenager rattle can bad. Car basically needs a complete repaint. Im a mechanic, and I drove it. It at least needs 4 tires(bubbling, a screw, at 4/32nds), a windshield(cracked), front rotors(pulsating), and mufflers(cut off). It's also obviously been driven hard, the rotors are scorched all over, and though he washed it there was a lot of burnt rubber in the wheel wells. Interior and engine is clean/average and the car drives nice minus the warped rotors. The guy took out the stage 3 cams because they messed up the driveability/cold starts/vacuum issues. Still don't understand why he just paid to put stage 2s and a retune instead of just putting a stock cam in. The engine was built 42k miles ago, and the transmisson was rebuilt 10,000 miles ago. Never got around to being sprayed/supercharged. Here's the mods.

Ford Racing forged bottom end
Manley forged pistons (low compression)
Manley H-beam rods
Comp cams blower stage 2 (boost cams) - ***brand new
SCT flash handheld
Ford Racing 3.73 differential gears
Transgo Shift Kit
Stall converter @ 3000rpm
SR performance bump-steer kit
Ford racing poly sway bushing
Eibach Pro lowering springs
18x9.5 Saleen reps(all curbed)
H-pipe
New motorcraft starter, alternator, battery 2/16
Pioneer touchscreen deck

·
11,039 Posts
There is no magic number about the value of a modified car.

The value of the same car in different regions and to different buyers is different. If someone wants that year car with those mods then he might be willing to pay more. If there are ten such cars in Oklahoma for sale for $2000 less, well, that doesn't do you any good if you're five states away, does it?

Make an offer, what's the worst that can happen?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the cars in california not oklahoma, so prices are a bit higher. Here locally there's about 7 other mustang 05-07 GT coupes/certs in great to Excellent condition for 9-11k. Just hard putting a value on this one due to the modifications. You don't get your money back on those. And they were mostly done 40k miles ago with hard miles since then. I agree with an 8k offer. I say the car stock is worth about 6k. So add a used built block and some mods. 8-9k. Pay 4k to fix it up and it will be worth 12-13k. Plus I'm worried about boosting it even with it being built. Yeah, definitely compression test it. But, even if it has good compression, do I budget on having it rebuilt with new bearings and seals? Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lowest he will go is 9700. It had no starting problems and had good power. I can't imagine any compression issues. Hrmmm... I was planning to end up no higher than 9k. Wish me luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Though I can understand his price because he just paid 1500$ to have the new cams installed and tuned.... not what I would have done, but oh well.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I would never buy a car out of state without personally inpsecting it. At a minimum if you are truly interested, pay a professional service the $200 to have it inspected thoroughly. That car looks like it has had a very rough life and IMO the seller is getting rid of it for a reason. At 92k miles, expect to be throwing a lot of money into repairing basic wear items that can easily add up to a few thousand dollars- brakes, shocks, suspension, etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not out of state. He's local to me. I've driven and inspected it myself. I'm a mechanic. It does need things, but most items have been replaced. I'm expecting some additional repairs but mainly, it needs front rotors, front tires, windshields cracked, and it needs the quarter panel repainted at least. I think the rest of the car can be buffed and cut and touched up to look decent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts