Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont plan to use slicks, just regular street radials.
will the t5 hold up to over 450hp

thanks

·
Registered
705 Posts
I didn't want to hear that! Hmm NO power shifting !!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Turbo

I make 470hp, 599Tq on pump gas and still have the stock (Well, it's from a 93) T-5 in my car. Must have 75-100 passes on it.

NO, NO, NO POWERSHIFTING. Shift like grandma and it will last.

Oh yeah. Another thing - No RAM 900 or CF DF clutch. Use a Motorsport and it will give it a little 'cushion'. I have had this Motorsport clutch in there for probably 50 passes now, and over 10,000 street miles. I'd rather replace the clutch every year or two than a trans every pass.

MJB

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've got a T5 in mine. Check the sig for power levels. I've run slicks with it. You can do it but you HAVE to granny shift it and launch conservatively. I've had the T5 (just a stock 93 T5 not a world class or anything special) with the turbo for about a year and I've always run drag radials or E.T. Streets at the track. You have to baby it though. Also, I had a Motorsport heavy duty clutch in there. Nothing special. It would slip if I went too far at the track. That probably went a long way in saving the tranny as well. Everyone has different results with a T5. Some die on the first pass and then some, like mine, last a while. Your driving style will play a huge role in how long your tranny survives.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I know a guy that has a n/a 408 that runs mid to low 6's in the 1/8 with high 1.30 60 fts and pulls the front tires in second on every pass. All with a stock T5. ..shifting very carefully.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Before my current combo, I ran the original T-5 quite a bit to the high 11 second range with powershifting. When it was replaced by the T-56 it was still in good shape and had never been apart, and will live on in my friends '88. On street tires I would say leave it alone and just take it easy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, guys!

i will be careful and i start looking around for a good replacement tranny, would a t56, or tremec be a good choice?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I love the T-56 in my car.. it gets my vote! :joy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts