Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinkging of starting a new project. How much weight is saved by removing the convertible top and pump and all the other stuff with it? Thanks

·
Registered
285 Posts
I don't know the number of pounds, but I just took mine of of my fox, and it's heavy as hell. This week the windows are coming out with the motors (what's the point if there's no top), and all the wiring associated with it. It raised the back end almost an inch, if that helps.

William

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that was the same thing i was thinking, yanking the top, windows and motors to make it like a roadster. Are you planing on weighing the whole car after you yank everything?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wow, my LX vert weighed in at #3300 in mostly stock trim. Looks like around #400 savings.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Removing the top, motor, pump, windows, window motors, brackets, and passenger seat sounds about right for 400 lbs.
I thinking if I swap to a lighter weight C-4 (from my AOD), go to a full tubular front suspension (k member, A arms, coilovers, etc...) and pick up a few fiberglass body panels, I'm going to try to hit 2500-2600lbs.

By the way Newt, your stang in the avatar looks sweet, do you have any pics?

William

·
Registered
324 Posts
93 50 LX said:
By the way Newt, your stang in the avatar looks sweet, do you have any pics?
Thanks man. Not much by way of photos. Have
this it's sort of a moving scrap book from last years autocrossing. The vert is waiting for me to decide whether to turn it into a track whore, or weekend cruiser. She's not the daily driver anymore.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm running a '90 convertible in the NASA CMC series. Car is completely stripped. Started at 3460lbs. (stock) with 4 point roll bar, now 3050 with 6 point cage and fire system. With driver, 3250lbs., 1950 front / 1300 rear. I'm still looking for more ways to reduce weight. Most recent reduction was removal of mufflers and tailpipes. Just turndowns from the H-pipe. All weights with 1/2 tank gas.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
93 50 LX: All of your AC and smog equip are gone also right? Do you still have a dash and all the rest of your interior panels?

A 5.0 roadster with rollbar only 2900 pounds must be really fun to drive huh? :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the stock dash (for now), and as for interior panels:

Doors panels are bare aluminum, and I am going to have a stereo shop fab me some lightweight panels covered in Vinyl for the rear of the cockpit.

·
Registered
324 Posts
TPetrosky said:
I'm running a '90 convertible in the NASA CMC series. Car is completely stripped. Started at 3460lbs. (stock) with 4 point roll bar, now 3050 with 6 point cage and fire system. With driver, 3250lbs., 1950 front / 1300 rear. I'm still looking for more ways to reduce weight. Most recent reduction was removal of mufflers and tailpipes. Just turndowns from the H-pipe. All weights with 1/2 tank gas.
Have any pics? or web site showing the car? What have you found to be the pros and cons of running a convertible Fox? Very interesting, you're the second vert I've noticed in CMC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts