1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Add it all up everything.

Paid for car?
support mods?

Me and my buddy were talking I've had my car for about 15years and only paid $5k for it but if I add it all up?

Over the last 8 months I decided to build my dream car. I've spent about $20k doing that.

If I had to put a number on it I'm going to say (93 cobra $35K)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have an 01 GT that cost $2500 but easily has over $60K additional sunk into it. The only thing I retained from the original car was the basic shell and the VIN. Go fast parts aren't cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
$75K and worth every penny...

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on putting another $10K in mine next year for paint and any molding and other that needs changing.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
56 views and only 3 willing to post #s.

Not surprised most people don't want to do the math.

Guys I'm saying $35k on this car. I have had 6 mustangs. Its my money and I have loved every minute of it. (Wife not so much LOL)

Post them up? (Its all fun and games till you do the math LOL)

·
Registered
588 Posts
'95 I bought brand new, almost nothing stock left, Dart 363 (with a complete spare), full MM suspension, 18" wheels and tires, Brembo brakes, T-56 Magnum 6 speed, Pro-M engine management. 50K+, I guess not so bad when you spread it over the 24 years I've owned the car.

Jay

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Ive got close to 100k in my 02 harley truck. Everytime I turn around Im writing a 10k check for something or other it seems.

truck itself 10k
brakes and suspension 10k
drivetrain 10k
cylinder heads complete 10k
induction system and whipple 10k
billet short block complete 10k
fuel systems and efi 10k
cooling systems and exhaust 10k
audio, gps alarm, paint 10k

it adds up quick, factor in all the ethanol methanaol nitrous race gas tires and things ive broken and had to replace and not to mention maintenance, in the past 4 years the engine has come out to be gone through at least 6 times.

my best advice, keep it stock or find a sponsor

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
92 coupe, blow through carb on E85, single turbo, scored deals wherever I could, ran 9.7X's I had a $7,200 and some change.
I did this when I was young. One day I pulled up to a red light dumped the clutch and ripped the torque boxes out. Also had a welding rod for a spool

I was still in for about 10k in that build you must have got that car cheap.

wheels tire, carb, intake, turbo, air filter, gears, it adds up quick.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Ive got close to 100k in my 02 harley truck. Everytime I turn around Im writing a 10k check for something or other it seems.

truck itself 10k
brakes and suspension 10k
drivetrain 10k
cylinder heads complete 10k
induction system and whipple 10k
billet short block complete 10k
fuel systems and efi 10k
cooling systems and exhaust 10k
audio, gps alarm, paint 10k

it adds up quick, factor in all the ethanol methanaol nitrous race gas tires and things ive broken and had to replace and not to mention maintenance, in the past 4 years the engine has come out to be gone through at least 6 times.

my best advice, keep it stock or find a sponsor

Hmm, nice trucks. Did you ever have a want for the Lincoln Blackwood? I did but didn't have a need for a truck, let alone one you wouldn't haul stuff with. I watched them for a while, and could have got a very nice(45k miles) one for about $10 on eBay about ten years ago. I dreamed of having one with the supercharger stuff from the Lightning and Harley models.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I've spent likely $10-$15k on various things for each of my projects so far. I should have $25k in my best SUV, maybe $20k in my last Lincoln, $10k in my mail truck, and my Ranchero if I get to it, maybe $20k.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I did this when I was young. One day I pulled up to a red light dumped the clutch and ripped the torque boxes out. Also had a welding rod for a spool

I was still in for about 10k in that build you must have got that car cheap.

wheels tire, carb, intake, turbo, air filter, gears, it adds up quick.
Yes, the car was super clean, got it for $300. Junkyard 5.0, used AFR heads, secondhand turbonetics turbo, found a toploader 4spd under a workbench and used it. Welded the 8pt roll bar in myself, along with the battle boxes. The funny thing is, I never considered it a budget build, it was all still big money to me.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
Couldn't even tell you. I've had my car for 21 years, paid $4500 for it back in the late 90's, and have probably sunk $15-20K into it since then.

Last 3-4 years have been the most. Maybe $10K in that period of time.

I probably have another $1-2K to spend and then the car is "done". My plan is to move on and build another money pit.....a Factory Five Racing Cobra replica.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Bought it for $15k 10 years ago with most of the MM kit, boss 331 motor and T-56 and I’m roughly $10k-$12k in mods so far. I’m about to drop another $3k-$5k on seats and wheels. In the end it’ll be slow and ride like a 80’s car designed in the 70’s but I love it anyways.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have two cars I am working on. One is a 94 Cobra with a 351, Ed Curtis heads and cam, holley HP EFI and just about everything MM sells that fits the car. The other is a 89 hatch drag car with 8 point cage by a well known chassis builder, Procharger F2, SVO block stroked windsor, BTE powerglide and Chance convertor, Holley Dominator setup and all the supporting hardware. Go ahead and do the math on all that because I don't really want to think about it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
neighborhood of 400,000 dollars...................... someone needs to keep me on suicide watch now.... i dont think i really wanted to add it up..

·
Registered
154 Posts
I’ll send over Hidalgo

might as well because with everything i have in it... i still cannot afford to race it... if i went to a few races and broke it... i cant afford to get it fixed in a reasonable timescale to make any more races. when i started this project years ago.. i had an idea of what to build to be competitive..... and i could have been.. but the field is so far ahead of me now, i can throw this stuff away and start over, because i cant run with them.

hell i make north of 2k hp on a soft tuneup.. and MAY be capable of just sub 4k hp levels on full tilt boogie.. But that still doesnt get the into the winners circle if i was in one of the redemption races, or NPK, or any of the other no prep series that this car was built for. i'm just so far behind the curve and with my limited budget there is no way for me to compete. i am a one or 2 pass wonder.. for one pass on a true no prep or street i'll take anyone on... but after that... i'm outta funds.. damn race car...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
My old 83 stang I had probably 15-20k in it. Initial purchase price was cheap but a 408 stroker swap, spray, axle, driveshaft, suspension work and multiple transmissions add up quickly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts