Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up another 8.8 to build for my car. Im being super picky and want deeper wheels out back so I want to shorten the rear but keep the stock shock location. anyone else done this and what BS are you running on your 15x10 wheel? I was hoping for a 3 or 4" BS instead of my current 6.5".

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
3,684 Posts
we shortened mine 2 3/4 inches on both sides.. basically, its cut off at the edge of the lower control arm flange.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we shortened mine 2 3/4 inches on both sides.. basically, its cut off at the edge of the lower control arm flange.
sounds like it would put me where I want to be which is great. I havent talked to the chassis guy yet so wasnt sure. figured shorter axles too so a little less rotating mass, lighter and stronger also. thanks Bob

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
not a 8.8

i did a 9 inch and did the max i could go was 3.5 shorter than a 8.8. i had to get offset spacers for the lower contral arms. i have a 15x10 rim with 3.5 of back spacing. im need to go with more bs to get the rim more under the car

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I cut over 10inches total off of mine.. 12" wheel with 3.5" B.S

And yes, I had to move the lower control arm brackets in a little... :)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cut over 10inches total off of mine.. 12" wheel with 3.5" B.S

And yes, I had to move the lower control arm brackets in a little... :)
and the car isnt mini tubbed?

i want to stay away from that right now and run as deep of a wheel as I can

·
Registered
136 Posts
I run 15 x 10's with 3" BS.........stock wheel wells, 8.8 is narrowed 3.5" per side, stock located suspension mounts, WITH drum brakes......

This is the ABSOLUTE max you can narrow an 8.8 with STOCK located suspension mounts!!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I run 15 x 10's with 3" BS.........stock wheel wells, 8.8 is narrowed 3.5" per side, stock located suspension mounts, WITH drum brakes......

This is the ABSOLUTE max you can narrow an 8.8 with STOCK located suspension mounts!!
3" BS! that would be awesome. Hopefully I can make the chassis shop today and talk about it. thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
3" BS! that would be awesome. Hopefully I can make the chassis shop today and talk about it. thanks!

Believe it or not......I did it for my son, who liked the look of a deep wheel/mini tubbed.........so I compromised, and gave him the deep looking wheel, and still run a 28 x 10.5 tire.......

You WILL have to remove the lower control arm bracket from the rear end housing, attach the new strange #1138 housing end ( 1.3" wide) and reattach the bracket OVER the new housing end......but it looks great when its done!!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Believe it or not......I did it for my son, who liked the look of a deep wheel/mini tubbed.........so I compromised, and gave him the deep looking wheel, and still run a 28 x 10.5 tire.......

You WILL have to remove the lower control arm bracket from the rear end housing, attach the new strange #1138 housing end ( 1.3" wide) and reattach the bracket OVER the new housing end......but it looks great when its done!!
thanks!

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Wow, your going everyway you can for that .05 (make that .06) Jake!!!! Put the damn pulley on it!!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, your going everyway you can for that .05 (make that .06) Jake!!!! Put the damn pulley on it!!!!! :)
well I need to buy rear wheels and just want a deeper dish...thats the main reason. not really worried about the .05....car has it as it sits

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
.car has it as it sits
A sitting car has nothing..... You got 5 weeks left, and the track surface temperature isn't getting any warmer.........

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A sitting car has nothing..... You got 5 weeks left, and the track surface temperature isn't getting any warmer.........
Ive actually run my best times at the october and always cut good 60s. hell, 2 fridays ago I has 1.42 and a 1.43...lol stayed in the 1.4s last october as well. plus I have maryland in a few weeks and again in November. Ill be just fine

1 - 15 of 15 Posts